Sign in to follow this  
starvip

1000 + 500ft calls

Ive noticed that the PNF calls out 1000 and 500 based on the reading of the altimeter and not the radio altimeter. The result is, if I fly into an airfield which in my case yesterday is at 700ft ASL with the correct QNH setting my 1000ft call is actually at 300ft. Is this normal?

Thanks

Miles  

Those call are based on runway elevation and the baro altimeter, not the radio altimeter.

You wouldn't want to use the Radio Altimeter... what if you were flying over a mountain or flying over a deep valley... 

Make sure you have have the arrival runway fully selected in the MCDU; FS2Crew takes runway elevation data from the MCDU.

Best,

Those call are based on runway elevation and the baro altimeter, not the radio altimeter.

You wouldn't want to use the Radio Altimeter... what if you were flying over a mountain or flying over a deep valley... 

Make sure you have have the arrival runway fully selected in the MCDU; FS2Crew takes runway elevation data from the MCDU.

Best,

Thanks for the reply. I just wondered if it was normal because of the elevation of some fields I get the 1000 call sometimes when im at 100-200ft off the ground or when im just about to touchdown.

Thanks for the reply. I just wondered if it was normal because of the elevation of some fields I get the 1000 call sometimes when im at 100-200ft off the ground or when im just about to touchdown.

Just make sure your MCDU has an arrival runway selected.  FS2Crew pulls the info for runway elevation off that, and uses that info to calculate certain callouts.