Sign in to follow this  
Dimka

Were taking the stage again! Yay, right?

Hello!

So with the planned release of FSX on Steam, there has been a stir in the community. Personally I think it's a good thing in the sense that it will hopefully bring in new people. But I am afraid the holders of the re-distribution license will in-correctly advertise it.

I see all of us as a big family, we all came from similar places, and most of us have the same destination. But if we have people coming in looking for 'hacks', 'god mode', and 'cheat modes', it might ruin the flow that we have. My biggest concern that it will be advertised as an adventure game, and will be seen as a free-world game, not the potential simulation program that it is.

BUT! The chances of that are slim, hopefully new gamers, You Tubers, and streamers will see this new program and be interested in the other side of flying that many of us don't see. With all of the fantastic developers out there, and the individual creators FSX may once again make a stand.

FSX in it's age may be becoming less appealing, bet we still have a little power left.

What are you guys' thoughts on the release of FSX on Steam? Yay, or nay?

Whilst FSX has been supported very well by 3rd party devs over many years, the fact is you that there isn't going to be any fundamental changes to the product itself with the release of a Steam version.

Sure, it will probably bring in a few extra users and that may in turn encourage a few extra 3rd party addon sales but the base product itself isn't going forward.

I find myself in the uncomfortable position of agreeing with Jim - nothing significant is going to come from the release of FSX on Steam. 

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

"...  stir in the community ..."  depends what you mean by stir.  Not one of great anticipation I think, as Steam is predominately seen as a pain in the posterior.

Whilst the multiplayer community may have something to look forward to, but I am not sure where any new converts to FSX will come from.

Phil

Have to agree with the OP when it comes to reaching out to new people.

Seems like a fresh breeze for an audience perhaps not even being part of the Avsim crowd and maybe not even planning to be. One can read that in many ways but I take it as an opportunity to at least populate the 'Steam' screen with a complete flight sim for entertainment purposes only. Competing with zombies, 'sims' and the occasional shooter. ^_^

I recall Aerosoft stating that their move to offer X-Plane via Steam turned out to be beneficial in regard to exposure and sales, so maybe the old lady FSX can perform the same stunt. A greater experience/aiming point span of the user base isn't something to be afraid of after all.

Besides, I don't know how solid the Dovetail market researched proved to be in the past but I would assume that they estimated the potential up to the point where it made sense to acquire the rights and capacity to then start fresh and expand their current business plans.

I have very limited experience with Steam.  I think it is a pain, and if I have an option to get a game outside of Steam, I will always choose that option.  Steam worked well enough for the few games I have that required it, but I never saw how it was benefitting me in any way. 

I really don't think that FSX though, in its raw form,  is very impressive by today's standards. From my perspective, FSX only becomes impressive when you add in many expensive additions and spend the considerable amount of manual labor required to get it all to play nicely together.    Is Steam going to magically be able to do what I had to do to get things up and running the way I want? 

While I'm sure that Steam offers some new marketing opportunities for a 2006 "game", I wonder if it won't be the case of a bunch of kids loading it onto their laptop, deeming it to be graphically unimpressive, stuttery mess, and then quickly moving on.

"Flight" was Microsoft's answer to making flight simulation more appealing to the masses, with it's downloadable content and all that slick stuff.  I don't see how the predecessor FSX, with all it's complexities and frustrations, would fare all that much better, just because it's available on Steam.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and it becomes a wonderful success that rejuvenates the world of Flight Simulation, but let's just say I have my doubts.