Sign in to follow this  
Flyfox

PA32 Saratoga with GTN750 - Great Experience!

I recently bought Flight1's GTN750 with the intention to use it with A2A's great C182. Unfortunately, this combination turned ou to be a real frame hog (C182 with GTN750 shows a 20 to 30% frame drop compared to default GPS or RXP530). It might have something to do with A2A's 3D modelling of the GTN750 frame and will hopefully be solved. Anyway, I gave Alabeo's new PA32 a try and this is a great experience. The PA32, as greatly described in detail in Avsim's recent review, is a really charming GA airplane! It looks great and it flies great! And above all it works perfectly with the GTN750 ... without significant FPS loss compared to the default GPS.

The only little drawback so far: With the current GTN750 integration you loose the DME function (not simulated in the GTN750 ...). In order to overcome this lack I replaced the now needless transponder unit wit the FSX default DME unit. It doesn't look great but it works. Maybe somebody has a link to a better looking DME unit for FSX?

Felix

Hi Felix,

Thanks for this tip. It took me a while to find this thread. I'm going to have a go at this combination in P3D and see if my experience is as good as yours.

It might be a good idea to give some feedback to Carenado regarding the redundancy of the Transponder.

If this combination is as good as I'm hoping, it would be nice to see more planes offered with this kind of integration.

Cheers,

-Joe-B^)

The only little drawback so far: With the current GTN750 integration you loose the DME function (not simulated in the GTN750 ...). In order to overcome this lack I replaced the now needless transponder unit wit the FSX default DME unit. It doesn't look great but it works. Maybe somebody has a link to a better looking DME unit for FSX?

Whilst in 'map view', enter 'Pan Mode' by clicking on the map, (VOR or waypoint or point of interest) that will show quite abit of info, you can also click on 'waypoint info'

bob

Hi,

Very impressed with the GTN. Never been able to do arrivals and departures before.

Flight1 have updated the database to be world wide, so it works for all the procedures in Au I have tried so far.

I don't have a problem with the lack of a DME, but I'm having the annoying gear warning horn on final and some strange problems with the autopilot where the whole selector panel display fills up and sometimes the indicator above the PFD too, and on one occasion, the AP switch would not switch off (which was followed by a rare P3D freeze).

I've tried the suggested Cold & Dark workaround, but that didn't seem t help much. It seems to be the nose wheel.

The saratoga flies and trims nicely though, which makes it a pleasure to fly.

I'm hoping to see more fast singles and twins with the GTN option..

Cheers and thanks for the tip..

-Joe-B^)