Sign in to follow this  
mdavis

To replace or not to replace cloud bitmaps - SkyMaxx vs. X-Plane defaults

I just installed SkyMaxx Pro in my XP-10.31r3 setup.  When checking for X-Plane updates, with my beta box checked, I find that there are a whole new set of default cloud bitmaps that want to overwrite the SkyMaxx files.  Does anyone have any suggestions or comparison information that would suggest the better way to go?  If I overwrite SkyMaxx bitmaps, does that invalidate SkyMaxx, or does the SkyMaxx configuration panel simply use the bitmaps it finds regardless of the source?

Simply overwrite it. SkyMaxx does not use any of the default cloud bitmaps.

When you uninstall SkyMaxx, it will restore everything.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Skymaxx completly replaces default clouds and has another source.

You can replace and nothing will be changed.

The install window stated that it recognized that I had "modified" the file

/Resources/Bitmaps/skycolors/sky_colors_clean.png

(and no doubt many others that will pop up when I let it run).  The only mods I've done on the 10.31r3 installation was to install SkyMaxx Pro and UrbanMaxx.  Apparently X-Plane Installer sees that perhaps SkyMaxx does in fact modify or replace default files?  If SkyMaxx uses it's own files and doesn't modify the X-Plane default, how would the Installer know it's own file had been modified?  It's giving me the choice of "keeping" the old file, or "overwriting" the old file.  I'm afraid that if I "overwrite" these files, that it will cause issues with SkyMaxx which I like both for it's realism and it's framerates.

What I will do is go ahead and run the installer and let it overwrite the files.  Presumably I can re-install SkyMaxx if it doesn't work out as I like.

P.S. - It appeared to only "overwrite" 3 or 4 files, the rest of the 826MB is updating European airports EDDF, EDLP, LFMN, LPFR, (maybe others) and a bunch of new .dsf files (presumably landclass?).

skycolors wise you shouldn't overwrite , as skymaxx actually installs a new set.

However if you did already just go to Skymaxx menu and reinstall the skycolors that you want.

I keep the stuff when asked. I dont want it overwriting Symaxx textures but as stated you can always run SM and install the sky colors.

I'm afraid that if I "overwrite" these files, that it will cause issues with SkyMaxx which I like both for it's realism and it's framerates.

You can let X-Plane overwrite these files no problem. The next time you run X-Plane, SkyMaxx Pro will recognize this and re-install the files as necessary to get you where you need to be without hassle.

Founder of X-Aviation