Sign in to follow this  
NicolasTAP

I need simple advice regarding CPU

Hello guys,

In this moment, i have : i7-990X, 12MB, 6 cores (12 with HT on), 3.46 GHz Base and 3.73 GHz Turbo, support DDR3.

I want to chose between Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W (1000 €) or Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W (500 €). For Prepar3d is most important to have high frequency or more cores ?

Thank  you for any advice,

NT

Banner_MJC9.png

Today is the most beautiful day of my life...

Guest JustanotherPilot

I would go the 8 core for P3D and set the affinity via the prepar.exe in task manager, although P3D directs a lot of the load to the graphics card, unlike FSX which is CPU intensive, 8 cores allows a more even dedicated distribution of tasks, particularly in gaming The next generation of i7 series is shaping up to be a world beater.

Do a comparison of the two Cpu's at http://cpuboss.com/

Hello nicutapa,

Don't do like I did - no matter which Processor that You choose - Make it the fastest one on the Market !!!! fsx/p3d is probably as much - if not more Processor speed dependent as cores !! - cores and gpu will take care of the amount of data to handle - Processor speed is directly related to how fast that data is handled !! Go for nothing less than 4ghz - or better - then start over clocking ! - Hope this Helps - Johnman

I agree with Johnman. Don't go for many cores, but for the highest frequency you can get.

The first core P3D uses will be at 99-100% most of the time (in my case 4790K @ 4.5GHz). The other cores will be around 50% (depending on conditions). I had an i7-2600 @ 3.8GHz before and I had the feeling the processor could not keep up all the time.

So, go for the cheaper and take care to get more than 4GHz, that's much more important than havin more cores.

The 4790K is around 300 € only, so if you want a dedicated P3D system why not go for something similar (and save money ;) ). Of course more cores will be useful for other programs, but not that much for P3D.

Marc

Marc Weber

Indeed, speed over cores, definitely. I was thinking of upgrading CPU myself, sometime soon, and with what's available at this time, I'm going for the i7-4790k and OC it to 4.6/4.8

Cheers!

Maarten

Thanks all of you for your answers. I will try to find  best combination (motherboard+memoy) for  OC with  i7-5930K

Banner_MJC9.png

Today is the most beautiful day of my life...