Sign in to follow this  
Airshane14

Help with heading problem!

Hello,

For the life of me I cannot figure out why when I fly an ILS or GPS heading while on autopilot, my aircraft will not fly the heading or ILS approach heading.  In other words, I was flying into an airport where I would shoot an ILS approach, however the aircraft flew to the left of the intended runway and wasn't even close to the approach runway.  This has become frustrating since I cannot effectively fly an approach or get my GPS to take me directly to the waypoint I put in.  Please lend some advice and fix for this.

Thanks so much!

If you're using GPS to navigate, then you want an ILS , make sure you switch from GPS to NAV and have the correct ILS frequency tuned to NAV1.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

- Could be an FSX runway that no longer matches the heading on the charts. Nothing to do about that but use the outdated FSX heading and/or ILS frequency.

- Gyroscopic drift might be enabled, but to be honest I've never really seen its effect in FSX to a great degree so I doubt it's a factor here.

- Remember to adjust the HSI indicator to the proper heading. It'll be an HSI on GA planes and most airliners have a function like that too where the runway heading needs to be entered in manually for the autopilot to align properly to the LOC. As Ryan stated, switch to nav radios when doing an ILS approach.