Sign in to follow this  
marctor

FPS drop after take-off and before landing

Hi,

I have a reasonably powerful computer with an i7 4770K running at 4.5GHz and a GTX 780 graphics card. My settings in FSX are generally conservative with moderate autogen and no AI traffic of any kind, as well as a clean FSX.cfg except for the mandatory fixes. I´m also running 1024 textures exclusively, all of this trying to minimize chances of having OOMs. 

However, when flying complex paywares I´m observing a sudden fps drop immediately after take-off, from 30 fps on the take-off roll to about 10 in the climb-out. Performance then normalizes after a certain altitude and stays solid for the rest of the flight, until on approach to land, when it once again falls to the 10 fps region. This happens even in default airports. I´m running ASN for weather and have FTX Global and Vector installed, but nothing more than that. 

I´ve noticed that on approach, if I move the autogen slider to "none" the fps will recover to 30. Then, if I move the slider back to "dense", fps will stay at 30 even with all the autogen back. So I presume something is holding the fps but I´m yet to find out what is happening.

Any help will be much appreciated,

Marcelo Torres

I suspect this is a result of complex airport scenery and perhaps overly high settings.

You can check this out by doing an approach to a small default airport somewhere away from the location of any big airports and if it does not happen, then my theory is correct.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I suspect this is a result of complex airport scenery and perhaps overly high settings.

You can check this out by doing an approach to a small default airport somewhere away from the location of any big airports and if it does not happen, then my theory is correct.

IAN

Full agree

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

I have my FPS locked at 30 running PMDG, REX, FTX Global, and Traffic 360. I also have 2 addon payware scenery programs for KMDW and KSTL. I'm running an I7 3770k at stock values with almost no config file tweaks. I'm able to stay over 20 in almost any scenario but it can dip into the upper teens briefly. 10 FPS seems odd given your system specs as you've noted. I would maybe suspect ASN or some auto update feature associated with it. One thing you could do  is make sure your mouse cursor is off the screen in windowed mode, or on the menu tab in full screen mode. My FPS jumps considerably just by doing this. With the latest hardware (ivy bridge and later), I've found that less is more when it comes to tweaks and setting adjustments. I've done a lot of experimenting and have made most of the mistakes as well over the 15+ years of simming when it comes to hardware and settings. FSX can be a cruel mistress LOL!  Anyway, you could try adjusting your graphics setting via NVIDIA inspector if you haven't already. Regards

Check your airport vehicle slider settings, they eat FPS like nothing else.

Also AI and Cars could be the culprit. I know UT2 is hard on frames with AI at airports.

Also possible that you may be running too much filtering and anti aliasing in your videocard software.  This will intensify the load at detailed airports and could have the effect you are seeing (assuming that you don't have your in game scenery and graphics setting too high).

Another of the many possibilities is a duff graphics card driver - it may be worth trying an older one.

Another quick test might be to see if you are getting the same drop in both full screen and windowed mode.

I'm assuming that you have SP1 and SP2 (or acceleration) installed.

There are so many variables with FSX, it can be quite difficult to identify the source of many problems other than a lot of trial and error.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Thank you very much for your answers,

It is, indeed, a matter of trial and error. I´m yet to do some more conclusive testing, but following Ian´s suggestion, apparently I was able to eliminate the issue by lowering the level of anti-aliasing on Inspector and applying anisotropic filtering straight from the FSX settings. I´ll also test if some ASN settings have any interference, especially in heavy weather situations.

Marcelo Torres

Great to see you're making progress Marcelo.  Get back with your results if you get any further improvement.

What level of AA are you using.  I've found no more than 12x, but most recommend 8x.

IAN

Ian,

I´ve settled at 8x and I´m getting good results regarding quality and performance. Also, apparently, transferring the anisotropic filtering from Inspector to FSX itself seemed to have a substantial impact on my system. 

Marcelo Torres