Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

PMDG products and Steam

Basically how is this going to work? Steam has a totally different way of installation, so will PMDG products be supported on this platform? I guess this question applies to all developers. A2A already has posted concerns. This looks like it's really going to complicate matters for all 3rd party developers.

Thomas Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Well, a lot of games on Steam, such as Skyrim, Crusader Kings 2 and Europe Universalis IV for example, allow installing regular non-steam addons too, not just the DLC bought from Steam or mods downloaded through Steam workshop.

If Dovetail has any sense they allow users to install also non-Steam addons to their FSX just like we currently do with our simulators. Otherwise the whole thing will end up as a huge business failure. 

Regards,

Joona L

I am assuming FSX downloaded from Steam will be the same as other titles. I have, to name a couple, F1 2014 & Skyrim and once installed on my PC, I can mod or install DLC for them, just like any other game I might purchase on DVD.

The one advantage I really like about steam is the backup it provides for your games. Not implying that it has been suggested, but It would be great to see the likes of PMDG on steam, but i don't think that will happen.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Dovetail certainly allow it with their Trainsim title. As FSX via Steam will be essentially identical to FSX on dvd-rom there's no reason to think PMDG addons won't detect it and install ok.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Just wondering if the Steam overlay will work properly with FSX, as it's so prone to instability when you task-switch or resize the window.

My guess is Dovetail have probably test that. Given that it's about to be released.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Gents-

I wish I could give you some guidance on this, but unfortunately it will require some community guniea pigs before we will know the answer.

We have been approached by Dovetail, who are interested to host some of our products in their Steam channel- but thus far the discussions have been inconclusive.  We are attempting to secure arrangements that are beneficial to all parties, including the community itself- but thus far the discussion has been...  hasn't been....  Uhm...  Thus far...  erm...  Yeah- as of now it just isn't looking very good.  :ph34r:

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Gents-

I wish I could give you some guidance on this, but unfortunately it will require some community guniea pigs before we will know the answer.

We have been approached by Dovetail, who are interested to host some of our products in their Steam channel- but thus far the discussions have been inconclusive.  We are attempting to secure arrangements that are beneficial to all parties, including the community itself- but thus far the discussion has been...  hasn't been....  Uhm...  Thus far...  erm...  Yeah- as of now it just isn't looking very good.  :ph34r:

this means Steam's FSX is kind of going towards another tremendous flop! not really a surprise though.

Really? FSX on Steam? Who wants a warmed up old meal? We need evolution, c'mon developers, this simulator is 8 years old.... save your coding lines for something new

We have been approached by Dovetail

Ooooh 

who are interested to host some of our products in their Steam channe

Oooh my very nice

We are attempting to secure arrangements that are beneficial to all parties

OH WOW very good

as of now it just isn't looking very good.

SHI@    :wacko:  

Probably best to read Roberts posts backwards next time 

Why does it matter if FSX is on Steam or not?

I have GTA 4 on Steam and I can install mods to it just like the disc version. No difference. Just change the installation path.

Why does it matter if FSX is on Steam or not?

I have GTA 4 on Steam and I can install mods to it just like the disc version. No difference. Just change the installation path.

Even if that's true, the problem is now there is another version of the software is out there. If DTG makes some changes over time, the current 3rd party applications may not work with both, so they can get into a situation, they have to separately support 2 versions of FSX, or pick one over the other. This can become untenable for them pretty quickly, and affect what they offer and on what platforms in the future. This is not a good situation for them or us. I also haven't detected a note of optimism in Robert's post on this prospect, added to A2A's concerns, and now Milviz, all respected developers around here, and I think there are reasons for concern.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Even if that's true, the problem is now there is another version of the software is out there. If DTG makes some changes over time, the current 3rd party applications may not work with both, so they can get into a situation, they have to separately support 2 versions of FSX, or pick one over the other. This can become untenable for them pretty quickly, and affect what they offer and on what platforms in the future. This is not a good situation for them or us. I also haven't detected a note of optimism in Robert's post on this prospect, added to A2A's concerns, and now Milviz, all respected developers around here, and I think there are reasons for concern.

Tom Cain

There's no reason for concern for existing FSX users surely? Also the version being offered isn't new, just the means of delivering it. It may well be a headache for developers of course. They will need Dovetail to be more responsive as RSR's post highlights.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Or DTG will just give up, like MS with Flight....gg

If you can't get the majority of the Developer Comunity behind you - you will fail - as easy as that, and in this respect, I think LM is doing a lot better job then DTG.... :P

And in this respect - I think that we - the community - should stay with our respected Addon Developers  :wink:

P3D is the better way to go anyway.......

regards

Also the version being offered isn't new, just the means of delivering it.

I think they've patched various things, though I remember them being minor like Multiplayer issues (and in that case, I'm unsure if it's a patch or simply providing a new server to use, since MS killed theirs off a while ago).

Kyle Rodgers

I noticed Robert has a new sig image. Or at least first time I have seen it.  That's all I care about.  :Whistle:

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg