Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

PMDG products and Steam

I noticed Robert has a new sig image.

hmm, no. Not really.

If you can't get the majority of the Developer Comunity behind you - you will fail - as easy as that, and in this respect, I think LM is doing a lot better job then DTG....

Bingo!  

Has anyone been to the P3D website lately?  They are promoting 3rd party devs like crazy which is great for the community.  Only seems to be one missing...

Ryan

hmm, no. Not really.

You forgot to quote the part where I said "Or at least first time I have seen it."

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I didn't, just pointing you that it's not new. 

Anyways.... anybody feels like giving PMDG on Steam FSX a try?

FSX is also in 80% discount right now, so anyone who would want a "digital download/cloud backup"... this is worth the price methinks.

Question for PMDG:

I am considering installing the FSX Steam version on the same hard drive, along side regular FSX.  It appears that for any complex addon to work in the Steam version, it must be installed separately in the Steam version.  Assuming the technical difficulties can be worked out, will PMDG allow installation of the same aircraft (e.g. 777) in both versions of FSX on the same computer?  Seems to me that both versions could not possibly run at the same time on the same computer.

Thanks,

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Something I just discovered myself after installing FSX:SE on my development machine is that Dovetail is hijacking the Registry entry created by a 'regular' FSX install, so assuming you have both versions on the same machine, only the FSX:SE version will have the SetupPath information needed by installers...

Granted this will only affect those who have both FSX:MS and FSX:SE installed, but it does have the potential to make it difficult to choose which version one wishes to install any product.

Worse still, both versions use the same C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX path for the fsx.cfg, dll.xml and Cameras.cfg files...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Something I just discovered myself after installing FSX:SE on my development machine is that Dovetail is hijacking the Registry entry created by a 'regular' FSX install, so assuming you have both versions on the same machine, only the FSX:SE version will have the SetupPath information needed by installers...

Granted this will only affect those who have both FSX:MS and FSX:SE installed, but it does have the potential to make it difficult to choose which version one wishes to install any product.

Worse still, both versions use the same C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX path for the fsx.cfg, dll.xml and Cameras.cfg files...

Not seeing any of this here - I was prompted that it detected that the original FSX and asked if I wanted to do a side by side install. It put the main folder within steamapps/common (standard for Steam games) and placed config stuff in a separate AppData/Roaming/Microsoft folder called "FSX-SE." I ran our installers and they still detected the correct original FSX folder, which comes from the registry, so I don't think there's any registry issues happening for me either.

Did you get the popup asking if you want to do the side by side install?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I believe Bill has installed it onto his dev machine and he has said elsewhere that he only has FSX Steam Edition on that machine. Perhaps FSX Steam Edition (Let's call it FSX:SE?) defaults to the MS locations if there is no existing MS FSX install (let's call that FSX:MS?). If the FSX:SE installer finds an existing install location it creates new entries for a side by side install?

Am I in the PMDG forum? Is so here is my name as per the PMDG rules

Anthony Lynch

www.antsairplanes.com

Not seeing any of this here - I was prompted that it detected that the original FSX and asked if I wanted to do a side by side install. It put the main folder within steamapps/common (standard for Steam games) and placed config stuff in a separate AppData/Roaming/Microsoft folder called "FSX-SE." I ran our installers and they still detected the correct original FSX folder, which comes from the registry, so I don't think there's any registry issues happening for me either.

Did you get the popup asking if you want to do the side by side install?

No I did not, Ryan. But then I did not have FSX installed on my (new) development machine either.

Can you confirm that there is in fact a separate Registry entry then for FSX:SE?

I ran one of my installer packages here locally and it installed into FSX:SE with no problems, but since FSX:SE wrote to the same Registry Key that FSX:MS normally uses, I'm not surprised.

I'm wondering how to create an option in installer packages to allow the user to choose which version of FSX they wish to direct the installation if they both use the same Registry Key...  :blink: 

Fr. Bill    

No I did not, Ryan. But then I did not have FSX installed on my (new) development machine either.

Can you confirm that there is in fact a separate Registry entry then for FSX:SE?

I ran one of my installer packages here locally and it installed into FSX:SE with no problems, but since FSX:SE wrote to the same Registry Key that FSX:MS normally uses, I'm not surprised.

I'm wondering how to create an option in installer packages to allow the user to choose which version of FSX they wish to direct the installation if they both use the same Registry Key...  :blink:

Yep, all separate lad.

Yep, all separate lad.

Thanks for the reply, but that's not really helpful. I need to know the precise Registry Key created by FSX:SE if the user opts for a side-by-side installation.

Even knowing that, it's going to present a problem for those of us who actually code installer packages for our products.

Fr. Bill    

Inconsistent behaviour then? Damn.

Bill, would you mind crossposting to FS Dev also, so we know what to look for? Thanks.

(also, you'll find the precise key etc. in there)

So I tried to do this the old fashioned way and copied everything that I could find in the FSX folder that could point to the 777 over to the steam version(Note it failed miserably. The VC clickspots(any clickspot) do no work and the plane does not initialize. The steps are as follows:

1. Go to your main FSX.

2. Go to the PMDG folder

3. Copy the following folders/files:

DEM

DLL

PMDG777

Icons

FLIGHTPLANS

NAVDATA

SIDSTARS

WX

PMDG_Interface.dll

60da9ed3-1fa0-4a07-bb23-dc5defeb0131.index

4. Go to the Gauges file in the main directory

5. Copy the following files:

PMDG_777X.dll

PMDG_777X_2.dll

PMDG_777X_3.dll

PMDG_777X_3.ini

6. Copy the PMDG 777 stuff in the simobjects folder

7. Go to the main directory and go to the Sounds folder, copy the PMDG 777 folder in there

8. Go to the effects folder in the main directory and copy the PMDG 777 effects

9. Go to the Fonts folder and copy the PMDG 777 fonts

10.(Optional) Copy the RAAS pro folder

I appear to be missing a few files or something. Either that or the 777 may have to be fixed to work with this.

Inconsistent behaviour then? Damn.

Bill, would you mind crossposting to FS Dev also, so we know what to look for? Thanks.

(also, you'll find the precise key etc. in there)

It only becomes a "problem" if the end user has opted to keep both FSX:MS and FSX:SE installed, otherwise no changes to installers need to be made.

Yes, I'll post at FS Dev as soon as I can get away from AVSIM! :lol:

I've already learned the "alternate" Registry entry for a s-x-s installation.

Fr. Bill    

So I tried to do this the old fashioned way and copied everything that I could find in the FSX folder that could point to the 777 over to the steam version(Note it failed miserably. The VC clickspots(any clickspot) do no work and the plane does not initialize. The steps are as follows:

Copy protection; not that simple :)

Which also brings me to the queston, will the 777/NGX work out you are not trying to run it under P3D / patched P3D?