Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

The Best of two Worlds :)

@sctochegg,  since he's still very busy now, I am awaiting the ideal timming :-) but it certainly is not forgotten ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

@ironmaiden: Back in those days you could start your airline pilot career from ab-initio...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

nice that would have been so cheap. And now they want everything.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

@sctochegg,  since he's still very busy now, I am awaiting the ideal timming :-) but it certainly is not forgotten ;-)

Right you are. These things can often come down to delicate timing...:)

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Will psx work on a Mac platform?

It was actually designed and implemented in one :-)

PSX was written in Java, so, it's cross-platform.

Have an hint at it's potential here

Main Simulation Rig:

Awesome stuff, jcomm, thanks. I actually owned at one time an earlier version of this sim, it was done in DOS (I think) and came on floppy disks (just to give you some idea of how long ago!!). In actual fact, I recall one Christmas Day when Rob Randazzo of PMDG and I were exchanging messages on "the list" (if anyone knows what that is they must be dinosaurs like me ) about how to get it working, That very first release was quite buggy, but Hardy persevered and fixed the bugs. Then, over time as Windows started to depart from it's DOS roots, and the new versions of MSFS were starting to show eye candy of the like that we had never seen before, I lost interest.

There was some discussion about Hardy producing other Boeing sims (other than the B744, which even then was starting to begin it's operational decline in favor of the B763 on medium haul routes), not sure if he ever did.

Thanks, this is very impressive. Bruce.

Bruce,

I had that 1st version too :-)

Regarding the lists / message boards, I think I remember Robert from the times he played, just like me, ATP!

Main Simulation Rig:

Yes, ATP was years ahead of it's time... I still have the manual somewhere I think.  Those SubLogic guys were great!

It's amazing what you can do when you don't have to concentrate on eye candy.

Wow that's one hefty price tag though!

One for the home cockpit people I think.

Hardy would make a pretty penny if he sold the ATC and weather as separate modules to X-Plane users who are in dire need!

Very expensive. Wonder how jcomm is using it ?  

Maybe two displays on a single comp or multi comp.

Hardy would make a pretty penny if he sold the ATC and weather as separate modules to X-Plane users who are in dire need!

Yes, I too thought about that, mostly the Weather component.  Yet some users do not like it because appart from the METAR data, all weather ( winds, temps, pressures, jetstreams, ... ) are model-based and not feeded by RW data. 

I honestly prefer to have a very consistent and complex weather model, with only observation data being allowed to be fetched ( but this is only an option, because even teh METAR can be model-based ... ) from the Internet.

@ironmaiden:  I am using it mostly standalone. I have a copy on my desktop and another one on my ASUS notebook. 

In my desktop I sometimes use XP10 for the visuals. PSX has what are called "layouts" for the various windows it can use to display the instrument panels of the 744, and one can resize one of the windows making it occupy only the lower bottom of the screen, reserving the upper portion to XP10 display. Peole with multiple screens and / or PCs can also choose from many options, running different panels accross those monitors / PCs, in a smooth as silk environment. This includes sharing your cockpit with a co-pilot somewhere in the Internet!

Alternatively I use only PSX-Earth, which connects with Google Earth and gives you the World visuals.  But for all phases of a flight less taxiing from and to the gate, I mostly use PSX standalone - the out-of -windshield views are more than sufficient for it's purpose :)

When you close PSX all of your flight state is accurately saved, and when you start it again it defaults to that saved state, so, a long flight can be flown accross several days :) the only detail being that if you feed PSX's weather model with METAR data, each time you return the observations will be out-of-sync, but they are blended in a various harmonious way ...

There is also a "jump to" Time option, that allows to jump between consecutive waypoints. I noticed that sometimes when running X-Plane 10 for the visuals, after a few jumps XP10 freezes and crashes... I don't know if it's a XView or XP10 problem though...

Main Simulation Rig:

So you get only a front scenery view ?  How many displays do you have ?   I used to have Eyefinity under X plane till one of the LED broke.  

Yep, PSX doesn't have sideviews...

When we use XView we can program some of the key shortcuts to automatically show lateral views from X-Plane 10, using the special B744 model for XP10 that packs with XView.

In this video you can pretty much see what I see when using PSX standalone...

Main Simulation Rig: