Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Earth Simulations Sale

To be honest, I agree with you. I wish to apologize for my post. It was late last night, I was tired and frustrated about the CTDs, which usually occur maybe once a year on my system. I regret having written this and will try harder to get the scenery working.

Peter

Fair response! I didn't mean to be harsh, it's just that it sometimes gets really frustrating to read all those unwarranted complaints here on AVSIM. And it is just not fair for the developers! I hope you get it working and can enjoy the scenery!

Is Alderney compliant with Prepar3D 2.4?

The ES sceneries don't have a Prepar3d v2 installer. But there are workarounds. You just have to create a fake FSX directory and install it there. Then copy all the files from the fake FSX directory into Prepar3d and add the scenery in the scenery.cfg. If you google, then you can find a guide how to do it. Just one remark concerning the guide: I didn't replace any of lclookup files etc. If you have the latest Orbx libraries installed then it should work fine without these steps. At least the Isle of Man scenery works fine on my system. But be aware: It's quite heavy on the frames but it looks fantastic. Even better than anything from Orbx.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

The ES sceneries don't have a Prepar3d v2 installer. But there are workarounds. You just have to create a fake FSX directory and install it there. Then copy all the files from the fake FSX directory into Prepar3d and add the scenery in the scenery.cfg. If you google, then you can find a guide how to do it. Just one remark concerning the guide: I didn't replace any of lclookup files etc. If you have the latest Orbx libraries installed then it should work fine without these steps. At least the Isle of Man scenery works fine on my system. But be aware: It's quite heavy on the frames but it looks fantastic. Even better than anything from Orbx.

Thank you for the information, sounds like a good buy.

Is Alderney compliant with Prepar3D 2.4?

ES Alderney (and ES anything for that matter) works just fine in P3D v2.4 on my PC.

The ES sceneries don't have a Prepar3d v2 installer. But there are workarounds. You just have to create a fake FSX directory and install it there. Then copy all the files from the fake FSX directory into Prepar3d and add the scenery in the scenery.cfg.

...or purchase the Estonia Migration Tool, and let that take care of it for you. As far as I am aware, there are now standard installers for the ES scenery packages (as an alternative to ESI).

Installing ES scenery can cause problems elsewhere in the world. And contacting the Dev. for support is not a satisfying experieance at all. None of my problems with ES Scenery where really ever solved by contacting their support. Any problem I had - and that where quite a few - where solved by myself, through trial and error, because their support is close to non existent.

In my experience, it is the products from other developers (particularly ORBx) that can cause conflicts with scenery elsewhere in the world. Darren went out of his way to create a utility called ESMerge to try and solve this, which is not something I have seen anyone else do.

As far as support is concerned, Darren and Vikki are a two person (man and wife) team at Earth Simulations.....and that's it. Only two people, and yet producing some of the best scenery packages that you will ever see in FS. As you can imagine, trying to maintain a support package when you are the only two people actively engaged in creating this fantastic scenery is rather difficult. That's why they created the Help Desk, in an attempt to offload some of the burden. I appreciate that this isn't perfect, but then nothing is.

Now, about your issues. Maybe if you let us know about them, either myself or someone else may be able to help. Failing that, I will try to contact Darren direct. So, fire away!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Wow! Just installed Alderney, felt so guilty about that 1£ that I had to buy Isle of Man as well. (...)

Now that's good advice, considering that the Isle of Man is a blank area on the ORBX British Isles map.   B)

Now, about your issues. Maybe if you let us know about them, either myself or someone else may be able to help. Failing that, I will try to contact Darren direct. So, fire away!

Honestly, I don't have the scenery's installed at the moment, but what I can remember is that I had Autogen buildings disappear in Alderney depending on the time of the Year - I think in Spring everything was fine and through Summer to Winter quite some buildings dissapeared just to reappear in Spring.

- also had all buildings display correctly and after a flight from Alderney to Guernsey and back to find half the village missing.....

I also had a conflict between AS Maledives + AS Iceland with a file in ES-3D/Scenery, namely ES-Coastal.bgl and ES-Lights.bgl which could crash the Sim in areas like Iceland and the Maledives. Disabeling those two files effectively eliminated the CTD's related. I contacted both developers on the issue (AS and ES) and never received an answer from ES. (PS.: check the respective fora)

In Guernsey I have a lot of glass-houses vanishing and reapearing depending on view angle.... I use TrackIR5 - and its not nice if those glass-houses pop up and vanish all the time.....

And Yes, I have installed the autogen compatibility files, so I'm not talking about the missing autogen in other areas around the globe, where the solution by the way took ages.....

Anyway - as I said: If one only installes ES Scenery's they'll work and are the most detailed scenerys I know - the trouble is only to get them to work with other scenerys etc.

At the end for me - at the moment I don't need them, so I didn't even bother to install them - maybe once PMDG releases for P3D I'll give them another chance and try to install them into P3D....

regards

(...)

Sorry for hijacking; just installed Alderney and Isle of Man in FSX. Alderney has been properly activated; Isle of Man still shows 'demo'?!? Checked in the ES installer (both serial keys logged) and in their knowledge base (concerning activation); have no idea what keeps IOM from displaying correctly. Thanks!

Where does it say 'demo' olli, is that in ESI?

and does the scenery actually work in sim or is it not displayed? Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I can see straight away there is soooo much wrong with that. First some basics, do you have any other scenery in the area that could be conflicting? And if that's eliminated, have you uninstalled and reinstalled? If so, do you get any error messages and/or the same results in sim?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Hi Oliver

The "Demo" you're seeing is definitely not from the ES scenery. I suspect it is an old UK2000 scenery demo that's still active on your system. Firstly try to identify the conflicting scenery and deactivate it, and then when it's gone check the order of the ES activated folders in FSX scenery library too

ES-3D

ES-SFX

Isle Of Man\ES-IOM-Airports\ES-EGNS-Ronaldsway

Isle Of Man\ES-IOM-Airports\ES-X9JU-Jurby

Isle Of Man\ES-IOM-Airports\ES-X9AN-Andreas

Isle Of Man\ES-IOM-Airports\ES-IOM-Helipads

Isle Of Man\ES-IOM-Airports\ES-X9MR-MountRule

Isle Of Man\ES-IOM-3D

Isle Of Man\ES-IOM-TFX

Isle Of Man\ES-IOM-SFX
Isle Of Man\ES-IOM-FX
Isle Of Man\ES-IOM-Photo
Isle Of Man\ES-IOM-Terrain

Hi Oliver

The "Demo" you're seeing is definitely not from the ES scenery. I suspect it is an old UK2000 scenery demo that's still active on your system. (...)

Thank you for your quick comprehensive reply!

I will still need to check this out tonight, but it looks like you pinpointed the core issue already.

You could also do with some antialiasing by the looks of that screenshot!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Oliver

The "Demo" you're seeing is definitely not from the ES scenery. I suspect it is an old UK2000 scenery demo that's still active on your system. Firstly try to identify the conflicting scenery and deactivate it, (...)

Issue resolved by deactivating the older, conflicting I.O.M. scenery; a typical error 20 ...   :blush:

Vikki, Darren, Chris, Kevin, thank you all for your fast support!

For all those who get errors with autogen or crashes to desktop using or after  installing Earth Simulations scenery, there is an easy fix. 

go to this link https://earthsims.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/61692-fsx-is-crashing-to-desktop-when-loading-any-scener and download the hot fix  and do what it says in the Readme.txt. I've read through this topic and I'm 100% sure this will fix  all the problems.

For those who have playsims vol 4  the Western lsles, Earth simulations are giving away free Treescapes for that area :)