Would the 970 or 980 be better? Looking to prevent a bottleneck?

If money's no object GTX 980 all the way. :smile:

Mo45

I was, luckily, in a position to upgrade my 970 to a 980 (EVGA SC ACX 2.0). To be honest, I wasn't sure I'd see a difference but I did. P3D was noticeably smoother but there was zero difference in FSX.

Was the upgrade worth it? In my case yes since I didn't have to pay for it. If I had to stay with the 970, I would have been just fine though.

Thanks for the help. Purchased the MSI Gaming 970 GTX. I'll provide a report when I get it installed and running. I hope I get 10 FPS more in heavy weather.

supporter.jpg

My decision to purchase a new gpu was based on the fact that in heavy weather (recently purchased a new weather engine) my FPS would drop to low teens and below.

FSX is CPU dependent so purchasing a new GPU will not fix FPS issues in all situations. Be careful and do the research. It's extremely easy to overspend on hardware and not get the results that you had hoped to get.

supporter.jpg

... currently with the 580 any sense to move to 780 or 970 and if the answer is yes which one is the better choice (FSX, LM is not an option right now, I'm GA guy that fly locally in SoCal and the west coast with ORBX packages )

Thanks for any input

Yair

Would there be any benefit upgrading from a GTX680 to 970/980 ,especially in bad weather conditions with heavy clouds?

Keeping in mind to buy P3D in 2-3 months.

CPU is i7 3770K @4,8GHz .

Intel i9 12900K, Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z690-A Wifi D4, GSkill 32gb, RTX 4090

Regards Chris Kathi

I would think so, I never had a 680, but get the 970 and overclock it to same perf. as the 980, and save some dough.

:P

This is exactly what I ordered. Installed it on Friday and love it. 

Congrats to you, awesome card, right?

Very, very quiet under load, "Windforce" at work, 30 FPS constant, no stutters, no texture flashes, no problems, just smoooothness!

Would there be any benefit upgrading from a GTX680 to 970/980 ,especially in bad weather conditions with heavy clouds?

Keeping in mind to buy P3D in 2-3 months.

CPU is i7 3770K @4,8GHz .

CPU speed looks good. From what I've read, the GTX970 is comparable to the 780. Take that with a grain of salt, though. I don't follow hardware nearly as much as I used to. So yes, I'd assume you'd see an increase from the 680. Google GTX 970 vs GTX 980. You'll find a site that compares the specs. That should give you a basic idea from what it looks like on paper. 

I would think so, I never had a 680, but get the 970 and overclock it to same perf. as the 980, and save some dough.

:P

Congrats to you, awesome card, right?

Very, very quiet under load, "Windforce" at work, 30 FPS constant, no stutters, no texture flashes, no problems, just smoooothness!

Yeah it is. I was a little nervous about getting one with "coil whine" but I didn't. Perfectly silent. Very happy with my purchase.  :wink:

I have just upgraded to a Asus Strix 970 from my trusty Asus gtx 570,well the FPS are great showing a big improvement with sliders mainly to the right and I believe it looks sharper just what I expected!,BUT the "SILENCE" is really amazing and a joy to hear

peter