Sign in to follow this  
tamsini

Question about real-world AP and trim in GA aircraft

Hello everyone, the past few days I have really gotten into GA aircraft - putting aside the Boeings and Airbuses the time being. I saw a video where froogle assigned a rotary button on his Saitek for elevator trim and decided to give it a try. I must say that I love its use when hand-flying but here is where I get into problems.

The aircraft I have been flying are the A2A 172 and 182 as well as Alabeo PA32 Saratoga. I just added the Seneca and all have the same symptoms. When I set the autopilot to, say, 8000 feet with VS set to 800, all will surpass the 8000-foot level until I manually find the sweet spot on the trim. The same goes for descent.

So the question becomes: in real-world flying, does the AP automatically find the ultimate trim setting to attain and retain the desired level or does one have to adjust trim, even with AP engaged? I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here so if you can throw ideas my way, I'd be one happy camper!

Mario Di Lauro

If you have altitude capture set, the autopilot will level off at the selected altitude.

You should not have to touch the trim with the autopilot active.

Maybe, having the trim assigned to a rotary control interferes with the autopilot function..

What happens if you remove that assignment?

Bert

What happens if you remove that assignment?

Thanks for the reply Bert. I wanted to wait for a definitive answer from the pros here before removing the assignment. Now that you answered my question, I will give it a go and see what happens, Thanks again.

Mario Di Lauro

For the C182T autopilot, you do have to push the ARM button to activate altitude capture..

Bert

So the question becomes: in real-world flying, does the AP automatically find the ultimate trim setting to attain and retain the desired level or does one have to adjust trim, even with AP engaged? I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here so if you can throw ideas my way, I'd be one happy camper!

In some RW aircraft (e.g. PA46, Citation Mustang), if you press the trim button on the yoke it automatically disengages the autopilot. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Excellent guys. Now I know it's my config that's causing the problem.

Mario Di Lauro

There are some setting in FSUIPC that may be useful or perhaps just to be aware of...You can find them  under the Misc. tab of the payware version of FSUIPC.

One will center the elevator trim after the AP levels the Aircraft and the other will disconnect the elevator trim from the AP (both of which can be overwritten by the ini)

I have found these useful in the past.

RE Thomason Jr.