So, the only component left on my computer that can be upgraded is my PSU, which is a Dynex brand rated at 520W. What I run under this PSU is in my signature.

I have heard feedback from the community that Dynex is not something I should be using, so I am thinking of replacing my current PSU with maybe a CX750 or a TX650 from Corsair. Which would be better, and what performance gain/stability would be brought with a brand-name PSU with increased wattage?

Also, I have heard of a phenomenon called coil whine which happens on either the PSU or GPU. Would this upgrade cause my GPU to produce coil whine?

Thanks in advance.

Private Pilot - Airplane Single Engine Land

Aviation Engineering major - The Ohio State University

Cooler Master MasterBox 5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | Inter i5-4690K @ 4.5 GHz | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 | EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 16GB RAM | Corsiar TX 750 | Intel 540s 240GB SSD | Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD | Western Digital Blue 1TB HD

- Junn Shimizu

For starters, you reduce your chances of a PSU failure smoking your PC...I've seen motherboards and other components destroyed as collateral damage due to catastrophic PSU failures. Personally, I'm a believer in some overkill in the PSU department--I'd get the 750 if it were me to have a little more headroom.

A quality PSU is more likely to give you stable, properly-regulated current, which contributes to overall system stability. There is no performance gain to be had from a PSU upgrade.

It's impossible to predict under what circumstances any system might produce coil whine.

Cheers

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors

ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, 16GB 3600MHz CAS15, eVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz, 2x1TB Samsung SSD 970Pro NVMe+850 Pro SATA 3, eVGA 1KW PSU

SB XFi Titanium, optical link to Yamaha RX-V467, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro, PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

For starters, you reduce your chances of a PSU failure smoking your PC...I've seen motherboards and other components destroyed as collateral damage due to catastrophic PSU failures. Personally, I'm a believer in some overkill in the PSU department--I'd get the 750 if it were me to have a little more headroom.

Yep, current draw and how your power supply handles it means a lot. The more current that is drawn by your MB, graphics cards, fans, HDD, SSD, and DVD, the harder the power supply has to work. If your current 520 watt power supply is having to keep up with 500 watts of constant draw and having peaks at times where it has to supply more current, the possibility of it overheating and failing, with subsequent spiking of voltage to the rest of your system, is greatly increased.

With your current system and the possibility that you may want to add things later on, a 750 watt power supply is not really overkill.

I, too, am a believer in reasonable overkill when it comes to the PSU.  Running a PSU at or near maximum rated output increases heat production, component failure, and reduces its lifespan. 

Adding to the good advice tendered above,  I recommend you consider only those PSU's displaying "Gold" in their specs.  True, they cost a little more, however being more efficient will probably save you more that over time as well as providing more day-to-day stability.

Many brands out there.  Few manufacturers.  Suggest you do your research. 

Capt_Sig_Day.jpgmce_forum_banner.jpg

Ive had corsair hx620 and ran solid for 4yrs. Its still going strong overseas ln a friends pc. Now ive had an ocz gold 850watt for over two yrs and ive had no problems ever. They say the town i live in has inconsistent power so it surges from time to time but ive seen no sign of rhis. Im running an overclocked 2500k, two ssds, four hdds, dvd rom, 6fans including cpu cooler, a gtx770, dedicated sound card. I recommend looking for a sale, a 750watt psu from legacy brand and gold or platinum rating ahould be plenty. What will you be runing off it?

i7 4790K 4.8GHz, 16GB DDR3 1866MHz, EVGA RTX 2080 XC. 1TB M.2 SSD, 4TB HDD, 4K display.

P3D v4.4, FSLabs 320, ORBX Global, Vector, Fly Tampa Airports, FSDT Airports, ActiveSky, REX Sky Force

PSU is the heart of the PC, a healthy and stable PSU will reduce chance of circuit degradation due to voltage oscillations (specially on the VGA).

I recommend you a 600w to 700 PSU, brand is important, more expensive doesn't mean better. My recommended brands are:

-Antec

-Seasonic

-XFX (XXX and all the new series, all made by Seasonic).

-Corsair

-Be Quiet

-CoolerMaster (Silent Pro Gold).

-Enermax

Gonzalo Ramazco - SWD1570, STH1476, SKA0397. 

At least get a semimodular one. Makes cable management so much easier. And yes, get a 850 watt or higher, then you are prepared if one day P3D can use 2 GPU's

Anders

How many of you have actually measured how much power you are using? A 4770K and a GTX 760 won't pull more than 180W from the wall using FSX. Unless you're running SLI and two top end video cards, 550W will be plenty.

Cheers

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Seasonic is pretty good, I am using one.....and if you are running a SLI setup, you would need between 600w to 800w, depending on the cards.  Get the ones with 80 PLUS GOLD certification. 

How many of you have actually measured how much power you are using? A 4770K and a GTX 760 won't pull more than 180W from the wall using FSX. Unless you're running SLI and two top end video cards, 550W will be plenty.

Cheers

Luke

Measuring wattage "from the wall" is not nearly the same as the wattage pulled from the power supply. From the wall, you are looking at 120VAC. From the power supply, you are looking at regulated DC voltages. Two very different critters in many respects.

Of course, a person could simply take the specs of the components in the system that the power supply will be feeding and add up the wattage to make a decisions on what to get...

There are "wattage calculators" on the internet that can be used to sort out the PSU requirements for a computer system.

Measuring wattage "from the wall" is not nearly the same as the wattage pulled from the power supply. From the wall, you are looking at 120VAC. From the power supply, you are looking at regulated DC voltages. Two very different critters in many respects.

Of course, a person could simply take the specs of the components in the system that the power supply will be feeding and add up the wattage to make a decisions on what to get...

The rules of electricity and physics still apply. If you're pulling a set amount from the wall, once it goes through the power supply and is converted to DC, there's going to be some losses and wastage. It can only be in one direction - down!

If you can draw 200W from the wall but have 300W being drawn from the power supply, then you have a Nobel Prize in your future. Or a separate power cable to your power supply. :)

Adding up the specs isn't a bad idea - I did that with the TDP on my CPU and GPU and discovered that they didn't exceed 200W.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Cheers

Luke

I have - kill a watt measured a mere 360w peak with my system, excluding led monitor , while testing CPU stress with GPU 3dmark

|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

Run 760gtx and 3570k off corsair cx600 been going two years no problems. With power efficiency improvements of 900 series could swap 760gtx to 970gtx without needing psu upgrade.