Sign in to follow this  
tonymerry

Thunderstorms far too frequent

Does anyone else find that AS generates thunderstorms far too easily & frequently. The number generated for UK flights is very unrealistic, as they are generally a rarity. For instance a storm was generated at Manchester yesterday at 3 p.m. when the real weather was simply wet & windy, & this has been the case on numerous occasions.  Tonym

I have the same issue with REX sometimes. I landed at BIKF ( keflavik, Iceland) last week in a raging thunderstorm! I believe I heard a clap of thunder a few times in my 13 years of living there and certainly not in winter!. Anyway, not sure if it has anything to do with the "real world" weather data source from VATSIM or NOAA or perhaps it tries to fill in the gaps with its own weather rendering logic. Either way, something's amiss.

CB=Cumulonimbus. CBs are usually associated with thunderstorms, but some METARS report CBs instead of TCU, towering cumulus.

Turning off the CB aspect in ASN prevents thunderstorms when CBs are reported and only relys on the TS in the METAR for thunderstorms.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

I was just about to open a thread about this. Thunderstorms in Scandinavia this time of year are a joke.

Turning off the CB aspect in ASN prevents thunderstorms when CBs are reported and only relys on the TS in the METAR for thunderstorms.

So we will still get thunderstorms depicted if TCU or CB are reported in the METAR - even with "Prevent thunderstorms when CB reported"??

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

So we will still get thunderstorms depicted if TCU or CB are reported in the METAR - even with "Prevent thunderstorms when CB reported"??

Not if you have "prevent thunderstorm when CB reported" is checked. When you have it checked, only METARs with TS will create thunderstorms.

The option was put in because some parts of the world (Europe and Russia come to mind) report TCU as CB which causes thunderstorms in FSX. In North America, TCU is reported in METARS and is depicted properly in FSX. Fundamentally a TCU is not a CB, but we can't change the way they report METARS in certain areas.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

In some parts of the world, real Metars will have CB in it, even if it's winter for some reason. I've noticed this a lot in Russia. Don't know why. What is their criteria for a CB?

In some parts of the world, real Metars will have CB in it, even if it's winter for some reason. I've noticed this a lot in Russia. Don't know why. What is their criteria for a CB?

You hit the nail on the head Mike! It's most likely a Cu or TCU cloud, but they report it as CB.

I live in an area that occasionally gets thundersnow (thunderstorm in a snowstorm), but it's very rare...every couple of years. When I fly in Russia in FSX, I always have CBs in the winter resulting in thunderstorms. That's why I suppress TS when CBs reported with ASN.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png