Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

Using 21:9 monitor with second 16:10 monitor

I am thinking of upgrading to one of the new fancy 21:9 monitors but wish to use it as second monitor with my current 19:10 monitor.  In the past I have found that dual monitor setups work best if both monitors have the same aspect ratio.  In the proposed setup they would be quite different.  Any advice much appreciated.  Thanks.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I am thinking of upgrading to one of the new fancy 21:9 monitors but wish to use it as second monitor with my current 19:10 monitor.  In the past I have found that dual monitor setups work best if both monitors have the same aspect ratio.  In the proposed setup they would be quite different.  Any advice much appreciated.  Thanks.

Bruceb

Bruce no problem technically getting those two running together.

Just depends how you are going to use them.

Obviously a 50/50 split VC view will not look good

but the 19:10 positioned above or below the 21:9 for instruments would be great.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Thanks.  First of all correction to my OP - my current monitor is of course a 16:10 monitor, sorry about that.  Anyhow the way I would run the two together would be side by side using full windowed mode with FSX on the 21:9 monitor and other stuff such as flightplanners, weather addons, moving maps etc on the 16:10 monitor.  I am currently using a 37 inch 16:9  HDTV as the  primary monitor where FSX is displayed alongside my 16:10 monitor for the other stuff.  This works OK but the display on the 16:10 monitor is truncated with small black bands above and below the desktop.  Not really an issue as the bands are not that noticeable but with a 21:9 monitor it would look very odd unless there is some other way to avoid this artifact. If I do things the other way with the 16:10 monitor as the primary then the desktop on the 16:9 monitor has a bit missing from the top and bottom of the display.   I am attracted to the 34 inch 21:9 format as these monitors have the same width as my HDTV but much higher pixel count so I can sit a lot closer to the screen.  I guess my question is can monitors of quite different aspect ratios be used in a dual setup without these artifacts?

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Should be no problem Bruce,

I am running 4 monitors, all are different sizes, and all are mixed up LOLOL....

Seriously shouldn't be a problem Bruce.

Especially with Win 7 !

Jimbo.

I guess my question is can monitors of quite different aspect ratios be used in a dual setup without these artifacts?

You should not be getting any black bands if the resolution of each monitor is set correctly.

Have you set each TV/monitor to it's respective native resolution in FSX display settings?

What resolution are they running at?

gb.

Edit: If the TV (16:9) has no black bands and the 16:10 monitor does, it is probably because you have the 16:10 monitor running at a 16:9 format resolution.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Should be no problem Bruce,

I am running 4 monitors, all are different sizes, and all are mixed up LOLOL....

Seriously shouldn't be a problem Bruce.

Especially with Win 7 !

Jimbo.

Thanks but do these monitors have different aspect ratios?  Physical size eg 24 inch 27 inch 30 inch is not a problem if they all have the same or very similar aspect ratios.  However despite everyone's assistance here I'm still  not quite convinced that running monitors with aspect ratios of 16:10 and 21:9 in the way I am proposing won't produce display artifacts - at least in windowed mode.

Setting the display resolution in FSX only effects full screen display it doesn't change the resolution for windowed mode.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

This might help Bruce,

and Gb is right, the aspect of set multi-monitors does not really make a difference in FSX.

Do remember, FSX is very outdated when it comes to this area. ( 2008 to be exact ). However,

there are many fixes you can do directly related to FSX. First try ( if running Vista or higher ), right

click, you will see a pop window, if win 7 look for Screen Resolution. From here you can play around with all

of the different settings. For Example; highlighted in blue you will see exactly this [ Advanced settings ]. Click on

it, Make sure, every single monitor/HDTV is running at or around 60hz. If not, you will get exactly what your describing.

Black lines on the sides or the top and bottom/or both. The Hertz of any monitor must be matched as close as

Possible. Your limits are usually 58hz to 60hz when running multible setups. Try this first, and feel free to ask as

Many questions as you'd like, we have only touched the surface, as there is a lot to it as your finding out.

Hope this helps you Bruce !

Jim

Thanks again guys I think I might be getting closer with this.  I have now found the setting in the nvidia control panel where you can adjust desktop size and after playing around with this I think it will enable me to do what I want with 16:10 and 21:9 monitors.  What I can also do with this setting is create a 21:9 display on my 37 inch HDTV that exactly matches the physical dimensions of the 21:9/3440x1440 displays that are coming onto the market and get a feel for how this looks for size in FSX.   I have also been considering the Dell U3014 monitor which has the benefit of being 16:10 so the same as my current monitor (but much larger display area at 2560x1600) and by setting up a display on my HDTV that exactly matches its dimensions I can do some comparisons.  So far a bit unsure. For FSX I think the wider display is preferable but I find the vertical dimension a bit small as it is not all that much higher than my 1920x1200 monitor.  As a normal desktop I like the size of the Dell the vertical dimension is fine but in FSX after using a wide display it does have a bit of a tunnel vision effect.  However, the Dell is very expensive at something like 1400-1500 AUD plus whereas you can pick up (in Australia) a 3440x1440 monitor for less than 1000AUD - so that may be the decider.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett