Sign in to follow this  
Purr

sun size, runway light size seems tiny

Hi everyone,

Running p3d v2.4, using DSR 4x resolution, all is smooth and good. I notice that my runway lights generally look quite small and the sun itself is really small, like a dot in the sky. I use REX4 textures. 

Two questions:

First, Is there a way to increase the relative size of the sun and/or runway lights?

Second, I used to use a sun lens flare effect in the FSX days. Some people say that it's not needed now because in P3D those effects are built in. I guess I don't really see them very much (with either HDR on or off). Has anyone used the flare effect from FSX ported over to P3D, or is there some other setting I should be using to see it?

Thanks!

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

I had taken notice of the runway lights, but I also have noticed that the sun looks awfully small and very round. I have REX4 doing the textures. The sun looks like no HDR or effects are being applied to it. I'll be honest and say that I have not compared it to the default sun to see if what I'm seeing is the default so or not.

I have added these lines to enhance the ariport lights...in your Prepar3D.cfg file under the [Display] section: just adjust the numbers to suit your preferences...and I think these are a bit too large, so going to lower mine right now.  

[Display]
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR = 1.25
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR = 1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR = 1.3
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR = .9

Good day!

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Thanks Greg will give it a try! Appreciate your help.

Rex 4 update sounds promising...

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

Glad to help, hope it gives some good results for you. I'll be looking for that REX4 update too...

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Monday with the release of Texture Update 2 for REX4 Texture Direct, this changes.

:o ....awesome can't wait!

Marko

Marko Barthel

vtadesign_bw.png

Tim,

Thanks for the update on that. I'll keep an eye out for the update and see how things change.

Hi everyone,

Running p3d v2.4, using DSR 4x resolution, all is smooth and good. I notice that my runway lights generally look quite small and the sun itself is really small, like a dot in the sky. I use REX4 textures.

Two questions:

First, Is there a way to increase the relative size of the sun and/or runway lights?

Second, I used to use a sun lens flare effect in the FSX days. Some people say that it's not needed now because in P3D those effects are built in. I guess I don't really see them very much (with either HDR on or off). Has anyone used the flare effect from FSX ported over to P3D, or is there some other setting I should be using to see it?

Thanks!

To make the sun larger you need to edit sun.cfg in the main P3D folder. Set sun size to like 3000

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Thanks! will try that setting.

Monday with the release of Texture Update 2 for REX4 Texture Direct, this changes.

Hey Tim...didnt see anything on this on your site yet. Sounds exciting...what will change in the new update and/or is there a link to update 2?

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

I updated last night and did a flight right before passing out for bed. The update seems to have fixed the the pin-point sun that I was getting before. The sun is much bigger than it was before. I'm going to try different settings for the sun later to see how it changes.