Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

havnt used fs for about 3 years

Hello avsimmers,

I havnt been in the flight sim scene in about 3 years due to personal family issues, and the lack of a decent computer. Iwas previously on fs9 with a huge amounts of addons. Iam gonna be starting from scratch and after poking my head through the door it seems that a few things have changed.

Main question iguess is im wondering what is the norm now a days in software choice between fsx or this new lockheed sim?..for someone who is starting over, should fsx be the platform tobuild off of or prpard3d?

Dont want to start anything just looking for better way to start over with.

Thanks

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Welcome back to the wonderful world of flightsimming! ;)

Personally, I'm very happy with P3D2, but over the whole, the FSX fans will tell you FSX is still the best, the P3D users will tell you P3D is the future and some still stick with oldschool FS9. There are many discussions on Avsim and all with the same results. :P

Cheers!

Maarten

Your hardware requirements are essentially the same for either FSX or P3D as they both use the same 32 bit base code. P3D is being actively updated,developed, and supported whereas FSX is not. The only thing keeping FSX viable at this point is a plethora of 3rd party support. More and more developers are offering P3D compatible products. I would steer you towards P3D if starting from scratch. Regards

Thanks for the replies,

I kinda figured that I would probably get biased opinions upon what the user is using..as you said fsx users will say fsx, p3d users will say p3d lol..

Is p3d worldwide coverage as in fsx?

I guess I have a lot of research and youtubing to do but I'm leaning towards p3d as of now.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

P3D is base code from FSX that was sold to Lockheed Martin, so the base of the program is exactly the same as it was with FSX: Same world, same airports, etc.

Cheers!

Maarten

Many run both. There are endless FSX v P3D forum threads out there to wade through. Many, myself included, cling to FSX because of all the accumulated payware scenery and aircraft, I have followed P3D very closely and I'll probably run both in tandem here in the near future. If it weren't for several payware aircraft, I probably would have made the switch already. Bottom line is this: Do your own research. It's easier than ever to obtain the info needed to make an informed choice. Regardless of which one you choose, follow the hardware, tweaking, setup, and instal guides. This will alleviate some performance and stability issues inherent with both platforms. Regards

Thanks everyone, since it's the same base code and I noticed high end pay ware developers are producing for p3d I may go ahead with it only because I am starting with nothing again.

One last thing I'm curious on, I will be using this sim for entertainment although I am licenced pilot, i am assuming that I shouldn't have a problem purchasing p3d even though it is strictly for learning and not for entertainment...cause I can technically use it for learning l, keeping up with instrument work for when I rent a plane to fly IRL for pleasure.

It's as simple as answering 'yes' when asked if you use the program for academic purposes. ;)

Cheers!

Maarten

Lol, Thanks Demious

You did not ask about hardware, but if you are going to seriously use either FSX or P3D, make sure you get a good system.. it will make all the difference.

i7-4790k CPU,  GTX770 or better GPU, fast RAM on a good quality motherboard, running Win7-64

is pretty much the norm for good performance.

Bert

Thanks Bert,

I will be investing in a system as I currently don't have one, as I said starting from scratch lol,

I should start researching what kind of hardware I will need to have a decent experience, I've always used fs with a sub par machine and this time around I want a fluid real ish looking experience at the worst of times.

Thanks