Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

FTX Norway Released

I didn't complain about the price in general. I own almost all other FTX regions and I love them. It's just that I personally at this point in time don't want to spend that amount of money because

1. There is an excellent freeware for Norway

2. I still have so many areas to explore in the regions I already own

And the argument with the airports is not relevant for me since I mostly look at large airports and from the sceenshots of FTX Norway the airports look much worse than the once from the Airports of Norway freeware (and yes, you can combine the freeware with FTX Norway to change that).

Rockliffe, you must be tired from jumping to all those conclusions? 

It never ceases to amaze me that simply pointing out the price increase makes some people feel compelled to assert their view on what value is upon others.  I believe value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder all that custom hand placed autogen doesn't mean squat to me if I'm flying tubes at FL350 whereas the detail at the airport you mentioned might just be what I am looking for?

Last I counted I have 20 Orbx airports 9 regional packs and Global, so I am not anti Orbx nor was there any agenda here. I love flying in the Scandinavian countries. I have all the Aerosoft payware airports there but feel no need to rush in and get this region pack right now.  Anyway you want to slice it its a fairly expensive scenery add on and  I'm simply looking at capitalizing on the seasonal sales that are taking place right now from a lot of 3pd's; Orbx included.  Norway's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Sorry fellas, didn't mean to point the finger at anyone in particular, and I certainly wasn't jumping to conclusions about other's buying options. If I came across a little blunt then that was not my intention   :smile:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Sorry fellas, didn't mean to point the finger at anyone in particular, and I certainly wasn't jumping to conclusions about other's buying options. If I came across a little blunt then that was not my intention. :smile:

No Problem Rock, you're a class act and I know you were just justifying your point of view :good: .  It's sure to be a great release and look forward to flying it myself in due time.  In the interim if you have any screenshots to share I'd love to see them or read about your experience.

RE Thomason Jr.

Watch this space...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

This is the most amazing FTX scenery package, yet.  H.S.!

You feel you are there. That's all you need to say.  Really.....

-----------------------------------------------------

Mitch

The feel is always in the eye of the beholder really. :) I had that same feel over Pacific Northwest also.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Well...I have been flying around FTX Norway for hours...and it does not look like any other FTX product or region.  This product is incredible.  Frame rates with FSX full out...stays pretty much at my setting of 33 FPS.  They have really tweaked this package.....for what is on the screen vs. sustained, strong frame-rates.

Post Edit:

"ORBX....(John V)...I don't really know what to say....I'm flying around varied coastlines....with detail so superb....that I can hardly believe that I am flying Microsoft Flight Simulator 10.  ORBX has advanced 'fat' scenery packages, to a level beyond what any of us could have imagined.  When I first saw the asking price 'bump up'....I had hesitant thoughts...but went ahead and purchased Norway.  Three hours into barely scratching the surface...and the asking price is no longer even thought about. The work that went into this....I have no idea, even as a team effort...how you chaps pulled this off.

The detail with FSX full out....is eye-popping, and at rock solid high-end FPS.   Magic, John V....simply...magic..."

Flying with FSX and DX10 FIxer v2.5 in DX10 mode.  (STUNNING!)

Mitch

I am very happy with ORBX Norway so far. Much more realistic than the FTX Global/EU/Vector combo. 

Country side and smaller villages looks most realistic. Though I have to say I struggle to appreciate the scenery of major urban centers (Oslo, Bergen). Not really ORBX fault more a sign that FSX as a flightsim platform is starting to age. 

This is how flying on a state of the art graphics platform looks like:

Yes I know the flight model and instrumentation is crap, but still...the graphics is just incredible.

Incredible graphics yes!

I just get dizzy with the whole "restless fast flight dynamics" - but OK, I´m probably not used to these modern games...

Feels like a GTA car in the sky!

:P

Thanks for the positive feedback on Norway!

The GTAV video is pretty, but let's put things into context: GTAV is the most expensive video game ever made in history, with a budget of $250 million and hundreds upon hundreds of developers spending 5+ years to make it. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Grand_Theft_Auto_V

It's also set on a tiny island a percentile fraction of the size of Norway.

The Orbx FTX Norway team varied between 5-7 people, mostly part-time and they took just under a year with a six-figure budget. No comparison really :)

That said, give me $250,000,000 and I promise you Orbx could make GTAV style scenery for the entire planet, probably with $190 million cash left in the bank!

• Upvote 1

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

As a Norwegian that spends as much time as possible in the air over Norway I give FTX Norway my seal of approval. It is an amazing package that has pushed the FSX/ESP scenery engine to its limits. An impressive effort to say the least. If you want to get a taste of Norway, there is nothing better, and before you mention it, UTX or ORBX FTX Global Vector and OpenLC Europe don't stand a chance.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Is that possible in FSX/P3D?

With new tech coming up the line (which I cannot talk about publicly yet), yes we can make a GTAV style entire world. To be honest, visually we could do a job pretty close to what Rockstar did using current gen tech, given the small size of their game world. A lot of our recent releases are bigger in square miles and have a very high level of immersion at ground level.

I'm talking about P3D though, FSX is frozen code that has been extended about as far as we can take it with our custom tech.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

The biggest thing holding me off on this yet is the lack of full understanding as to what hybrid mode "costs" - I.e. What is lost by being in this mode? I know lclookup and under the cover stuff is effected and I get what that does. So, I assume based on that that you have to lose something then by using this mode vs flying strictly in this region.

That and the few posts I've seen seem to be in favor of the freeware Airports of Norway over this.

So, I need to get a better picture and/or understanding on these two points.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

With new tech coming up the line (which I cannot talk about publicly yet), yes we can make a GTAV style entire world. To be honest, visually we could do a job pretty close to what Rockstar did using current gen tech, given the small size of their game world. A lot of our recent releases are bigger in square miles and have a very high level of immersion at ground level.

I'm talking about P3D though, FSX is frozen code that has been extended about as far as we can take it with our custom tech.

Thanks for the info, it sounds like something to be excited for.