Sign in to follow this  
Sherman6842

ADF marker doesn't or (Is there something I'm missing?)

Hi guys, I'm reaching out to anyone that has any experience or knowledge with VOR/NDB/ADF navigation. 

I've taken a break from flying tube liners on autopilot with the fmc programmed and GPS on etc and decided to go back to basics.

So my problem, I know how to tune and fly to VOR's and NDB however I'm having major issues with the ADF needle. I can be in any of the stock FSK aircraft and can't seem to get the thing to work 100%

Here's a plan I created with the freq's starting from EGGD (Bristol)

on to Filton       325.00 <--- This one works, needle responds. However I can get the rest to!!

Brize Norton     368.00

Oxford              367.00

Westcoft           355.00

Henton             433.50

Burnham          421.00

Woodley           352.00

Compton          114.35 (This is the only VOR on the route I decided to through in, naturally this works)

Back to EGGD 414.00

This is just a round circuit I thought I'd try but just can't get the ADF needle to move on any of the above freq's?

I've checked these freq's on FSCommander, charts and on the map in FSX but no luck.

What am I missing guys?

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. Hopefully it makes sense......

Geth

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi guys, I'm reaching out to anyone that has any experience or knowledge with VOR/NDB/ADF navigation. 

I've taken a break from flying tube liners on autopilot with the fmc programmed and GPS on etc and decided to go back to basics.

So my problem, I know how to tune and fly to VOR's and NDB however I'm having major issues with the ADF needle. I can be in any of the stock FSK aircraft and can't seem to get the thing to work 100%

Here's a plan I created with the freq's starting from EGGD (Bristol)

on to Filton       325.00 <--- This one works, needle responds. However I can get the rest to!!

Brize Norton     368.00

Oxford              367.00

Westcoft           355.00

Henton             433.50

Burnham          421.00

Woodley           352.00

Compton          114.35 (This is the only VOR on the route I decided to through in, naturally this works)

Back to EGGD 414.00

This is just a round circuit I thought I'd try but just can't get the ADF needle to move on any of the above freq's?

I've checked these freq's on FSCommander, charts and on the map in FSX but no luck.

What am I missing guys?

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. Hopefully it makes sense......

Geth

Make sure the ADF is in the right mode. ANT mode will not present a signal on the indicator. Also, are you trying to track the NDB using an ADF indicator, or are you using a dual needle RMI?

How do I change the ADF mode in (for example) the stock C172? 

And yes, I'm trying the to follow using the ADF indicator, single RMI needles.

I was starting to think that maybe I couldn't follow the NDB's with the ADF indicator but if that was the case how can I use it for the Filton NBD?

What sort of range are you attempting to pick them up from? EGGD to EGVN is 48 miles, but the EGVN NDB is only 37 miles range - could that be the problem?

Eugene

PS the Brize freq is 386 not 368, but might just be a posting typo

I just checked out the route using the default C172, and it works fine except the Filton Brize leg is out of range of the Brize NDB by a few miles. The answer is to backtrack the Filton NDB for 10 miles or so (just fly the Filton - Brize track with the yellow pointer on the tail of the ADF(180 degrees), then retune the ADF after a while and see if within range of the Brize NDB. 

I don't think ADF/BFO etc buttons work on the default aircraft, I get no click spots on those, so they shouldn't be a problem.

Wescott freq is 335 (not 355) and Henton 433 (not 433.5), but they might be just posting typos.

Good idea to get back to basics once in a while, I reckon.

Eugene

Cheers for the reply there Eugene, where did you get the freq's from buddy? That first one you mention was a typo on my part. However the other are correct as of FSC. I'm not questioning your useful info, just thinking I've got it wrong from my end.

Which would explain everything!

Geth

Also keep in mind that, like all radio navigation in aviation, ADF is an entirely line of sight signal. So you may need to climb higher to get reception.

ADF is an entirely line of sight signal. So you may need to climb higher to get reception

I'm not sure about that Joe, NDB's use medium wave frequencies, the frequencies used for many commercial radio stations. BBC Radio 5 Live operates on 693 and 909KHZ. No altitude required for reception. VHF and other higher type frequencies are line of sight, but with a powerful enough transmitter NDB's can and have had ranges (in the past) of many hundred if not thousands of miles. The BBC transmitters operating from Droitwich UK on 193KHz cover the whole of the UK and part of Western Europe.

If you live near any NDB's tune them in using an ordinary household/car radio that receives Medium Wave, you should be able to hear the morse code ident quite clearly....

Eugene

where did you get the freq's from buddy?

Sorry, missed this question on my reply - I either use the "MAP" function from the dropdown menus if FSX is running, or a very useful site called FSXDB.com (Short for FSX Data Base). Type an airport code into the search box, and all the details including ILS/NDB/radio freqs etc are displayed.For stations not associated with an airport, pick an airport near the station, and all the beacons for many miles around are displayed. 

And of course, the wonderful "Skyvector.com" for whole world mapping, including radio nav charts, VFR charts etc. But it displays real world data, so may not tally with FSX.

Eugene