Sign in to follow this  
MM

PNG Tour #2 – The Central Highlands of Papua New Guinea

PNG Tour #2 – The Central Highlands of Papua New Guinea

We start in contemporary Madang (AYMD) [PIS&FSX]. Madang is an "expat" town with a relatively pleasant life style. Then to Tauta Village (TAU) which is a small hilltop airstrip [PIS-only] near Shaggy Ridge of the Finisterre Range. (Non-PIS pilots might fly down to the Ramu Valley grass strip at Gusap (GSP) to check out the magistrate's office.) The next two airports, Goroka (AYGA) and Kundiawa (AYCH) serve important towns with decently interesting Orbx "enhanced" airfields [Orbx]. Kundiawa is the starting point for those wishing to climb Mount Wilhelm (the highest peak in PNG). Rather than walk up, we fly to Keglsugl (KEG) [PIS-only] which is a real-world mountainside airstrip built for a Catholic mission that now facilitates climbers' getting to the interesting parts of the mountain. And then down to Bundi (BDI) [PIS-only] which is a native village of some tourist interest. (Non-PIS pilots might climb to the Mount Wilhelm summit and circumnavigate the peak.) We bend around Mount Wilhelm and descend into the densely-populated Wahgi Valley and to Mount Hagen (AYMH) [Orbx], the center of the Central Highlands. A quick stop and then past Mount Giluwe (the second highest peak) to Mendi (AYMN) [Orbx], a provincial capital nestled in a narrow valley. Finally on to Moro (AYMR) [PIS and FSX] which serves a busy oil field and the newly emerging Liquid Natural Gas industry. This is a well-developed PIS strip with lots of detail.

Note: [FSX] are airfields modeled in FSX default. [Orbx] are enhanced airfields included in the Orbx Jacksons package for PNG. [PIS] are enhanced airfields included in the Pacific Islands Simulation Bush Flying package. And [Orbx-only] and [PIS-only] are those depicted by Orbx or PIS but not by FSX.

Recommended Scenery:
This post has a complete list of the scenery recommendations for the PNG tour.

PNG_2_KEG_DHC-6_APNG.jpg

Recommended Aircraft:
We shall be delivering Holiday Gifts for the area's children. I shall fly the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended DHC-6-300. Other oft-used aircraft in the region include the Britten-Norman Islander BN-2A, Cessna 208B Grand Caravan and the Quest Kodiak. Historically, the DC-3 was a mainstay here. (We should aim for something like 150ktas.) Any other similar aircraft will be just fine. Most of these airfields have modern airline service, although a few do not.

Special Scenery Adjustments for Duplicates.
The authors of the Orbx scenery are fans of the PIS package and have included minimal duplicates. Nevertheless, a few do exist. The changes below should resolve the most obvious problems.

Pacific Islands Simulations Fixes
Find the scenery folder (maybe "PNG Bush Flying") wherever you installed it. In the Scenery folder, look for the following files and append the characters ".OFF" to disable the bgl files. You can later remove that suffix and the PIS scenery will function completely. (We thus remove the PIS "Raw Grit" portrayals of AYCH and AYPY in favor of the better-quality Orbx versions. For AYCH, this fix is critical.)

aych_rg.BGL.OFF  [This fix is critical.]
aypy_rg.BGL.OFF
aypy_rg1.bgl.OFF

Orbx AYPY Jacksons Fixes
Find the Orbx scenery folder (probably ORBX in your main FSX folder) wherever you installed it. In the FTX_PI folder, look for the FTX_AA_AYPY folder, and then the Scenery folder. (That is probably "FSX/FTX_PI/FTX_AA_AYPY/Scenery").  Look for following files and append the characters ".OFF" to disable the bgl files. You can later remove that suffix and the Orbx scenery will function completely. (We thus remove the Orbx "enhanced" airport Madang in favor the more representative PIS rendition. This is a matter of taste.)

Orbx_PNG_APX_AYMD.BGL.OFF
Orbx_PNG_APX_AYMD_CVX.BGL.OFF
Orbx_PNG_PLC_AYMD_scenery.bgl.OFF

Film.

To get a feel for the area, you might look at this YouTube video.

Twin otter in the bush PNG (15:35)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7LGk-sxi34
Lots of good footage of the DHC-6 landing at small airstrips.. For some of our later destination airports, see:
Ononge (6:34-7:41)
Fane (12:39-13:38)

Participation.

Time: Saturday Dec 20, 19:00 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

The digital flightplan (in FSX format) is available from the DropBox location here. A full narrative will be posted in plenty of time for it to be unread. 

Please post your aircraft details in the MP spreadsheet so that we can see you in your true colors.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

A full narrative will be posted in plenty of time for it to be unread.

I proceeded to tell him the story of the twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy 

Pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one ....

- We was smokin' cigarettes and all kinds of things, until the sergeant came 

Over, had some paper in his hand, held it up and said: 

"KIDSTHISPIECEOFPAPERSGOTFOURTYSVENPAGESTHIRTYSEVENSENTENCESFIFTYEIGHTWORDSWEWANTTOKNOWTHEDETAILSOFTHECRIMETHETIMEOFTHECRIMEANDANYOTHERKINDOFTHINGYOUGOTTOSAYPERTAININGTOANDABOUTTHECRIMEWEWANTTOKNOWTHEARRESTINGOFFICERSNAMEANDANYOTHERTHINGYOUGOTTOSAY

. . ."

Looking forward to read it Mike. Heard this on the way home from work. It seemed fitting.

:LMAO:  :LMAO:  :LMAO:

Rob - The SkyVector version of the plan is here.

Might as well get to the start -

ATpCIf01SFdsaCWGshxGStnGRE.jpg

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=ATpCIf01SFdsaCWGshxGStnGRE

Screen_12162014_145757.jpg

Edited by spokes2112

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Watch out for Ermintrude!

I was parked at Mendi while checking out the fields for this weekend's activities when some movement caught my eye - a cow wandering across a field next to the ramp.  I watched for a little while, and she (definitely a she, she was that well modelled) walked in my direction, and continued across the tarmac!    I was able to grab a quick screenie.

Ermintrude.jpg?dl=0

I continue to be impressed at how much Orbx have put into this package. They've done quite a job on some of these additional airfield upgrades, not just Jacksons and the bush strips.

We might need to be careful landing/taxiing, or we'll be having an impromptu BBQ with some very fresh hamburgers on the menu...... :Cow:

The Narrative for PNG 2 The Central Highlands is available at the DropBox location here.

Careful precautions will insure that its content will not disturb. It is easily unread.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I'm going to break with tradition and read it. I don't care what anyone else thinks! :angry:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Wasn`t able to make last week :(  Will try again this week ;)

Will be flying Tim Conrads very nice freeware Pilatus PC-6 Porter in "Susi Air" papua colours 

Porter Base pack here   http://www.simviation.com/1/download?file=PC-6C.zip

Replacement textures for Susi  "They overwrite existing ones in PC-6 texture folder"   here  https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyz2g49jqnvuv0k/texture.susiair.zip?dl=0

Video of her in action    

TEAM AVSIM "Fly Anything" Member     BAW 1193

Boeing777_Banner_TechTeam.jpgBry_zps718b876b.png

Hi gang,

In case anyone else wants them, I have made BGL files for the three PIS-only airstrips for this week's flight. Dropbox download here.

Installation: place the PNG Airstrips folder in your Addon Scenery folder (or wherever you want to put it), and activate in the FSX scenery library.  I'm sure you have all done it even more times than I have, but if anyone needs further installation instructions just post here or send me a PM.

Please note that these are not intended to be accurate representations of the airstrips.  All I was trying to achieve was a place to land somewhere near everyone else.  Runway lengths, headings and surfaces should be close to reality, but it is not possible to make sloped runways in ADE so I have set the field elevation midway between the altitudes of the runway thresholds.

Many thanks to Mike for providing the coordinates needed.

Wasn`t able to make last week :(

No worries... we are still working out your punishment.

Will try again this week ;)

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Very enjoyable flying in PNG today.  Lot's of Twin Otters and Bry in PC-6.  His Suzy Air paint showed up as Air America in my screen shot. 

PNG2-2.jpg

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png