Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Super MD80: buttery smooth pretty much everywhere

I never hear much about this older model but it's really pretty solid for P3D V2.x in terms of unbeatable performance with moderately high sophistication.  A little is sacrificed in the visuals, but that seems a small price to pay for just how frame-friendly it is.   If you haven't flown the Coolsky Super MD80 give it a whirl I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

SuperMD-803_zps62afdf2a.pngSuperMD-802_zpsbce932f7.pngSuperMD-80_zpse68ceee5.png

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I have both the Leonardo and Coolsky versions, and agree the Coolsky did the graphics pretty darned well.  I've spent some time on the MD-88 flight deck, and the panels really are flat looking.

For many years now we've flown the venerable Leonardo Maddog in shared cockpit about 4 to 8 times per week on VATSIM, nothing like it the MD-80!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Did you use the migration tool to install it?

Yes--I've had the plane a long time and marvel at how frame-rate friendly it was in FSX and now in P3D V2.x.   There is an odd behavior in that I think you may have to launch P3D in Legacy Mode (Estonia Migration Tool) to get your flight path to display, but even if it does everything else in navigation works great using the FMC.   There's some learning curve on this plane too.   But geez when you want to be assured of buttery smooth performance in most spots (there must be exceptions but I always avoid those places anyway) and have some complexity it's hard to beat this old bird.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

What a great aircraft. I remember when I first picked up the original FS2004 version with the blue flightdeck in PCWorld, haha. Many great memories in this plane, I kind of forgot about it though. Never thought about bumping it up to P3D (obviously not the FS9 version :P ), until now. Thanks for the great pics Noel!

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

I know you never hear about it nowadays but I can't think of another plane of this scope & depth that performs as it does.   I'm glad I brought it up as it's a delight to fly and has frame rate performance on a par w/ default planes--almost no impact over unobstructed views, and as I say you don't hear about it much.   Enjoy!

Noel

I've simply been spoiled by today's 3d graphics and find it difficult to enjoy aircraft with mostly 2D pits despite the performance.  That said there was talk about potentially upgrading this aircraft on the Cool Sky forum and I sure wish they do.  Until then I'm strapped into the DC9 Classic. 

RE Thomason Jr.

Thanks for sharing this, Noel! Since you bring it up, the Super 80 is indeed an aircraft that I miss.

I haven't flown the Coolsky version, but I have flown the Maddog back when I was running FS9 and boy did I have a blast!

Nice shots.

I've simply been spoiled by today's 3d graphics and find it difficult to enjoy aircraft with mostly 2D pits despite the performance.  That said there was talk about potentially upgrading this aircraft on the Cool Sky forum and I sure wish they do.  Until then I'm strapped into the DC9 Classic. 

Huh, mostly 2D pits?  Has a full VC the Super MD80 does, w/ a few 2D popups...

Noel