Sign in to follow this  
kejohansen

Around the world VOR to VOR in my Carenado Cessna 206 HD

I have decided to go around the world VOR to VOR in my Cessna 206 without use of satellite navigation. I use X-Plane. I will do some legs on VATSIM and other offline depending on whether or not within controlled airspace. I use my UK FLY ID, so if you are on Vatsim I'll be Skyways 1435.

I use Plan G for flight planning and as map when flying.

First leg:

My first leg was on VATSIM. I made it during the evening but had the simulator time on day to be able to have daylight and enjoy sceneries, which are outstanding in X-Plane. I believe so at least.

I started this tour on EGLC (London City Airport) flying over NDB's LCY, RCH, NF, DD, NIK and BC to EBBT in Belgium. I had to wait almost 25 minutes for clearance at EGLC due to quite a lot of traffic in the London area, but got my clearance at 1.30 pm. My instructions was to fly south after reaching 1000 ft and fly under 2000 ft. I connected to my flight plan route again 2.05 pm at NDB NF at the coast starting my trip over the channel. It was quite foggy so i really did'nt see the Belgian coast until I was upon it and arrived to NDB DD at Oostende. The clock was now 2.25. I experienced really cloudy weather Just before NDB BC, which I had chosen to be my connect point to the airfield EBBT. No view at all even after descending to 500 ft, so I kept descending towards the airport. I got visual contact with it after passing below 300 ft and was able to do a safe landing.

I have to admit that I had some help from my GPS. I had loaded the flight plan and could follow the magenta line. Bu I will try not to use GPS from now on.

Next leg will be to ESTA in the south Sweden and after that going to ESSB and the Swedish east coast.  

Oldish post but how goes your around world via 'old school' nav?  Neat idea - reason to go in one direction vs the other or flying same routes/area.  I started an around north america via whatever nav seemed like a good idea at the time but did not get very far so just wondering if your mission is still in progress or complete?

James