Sign in to follow this  
CrewF16

PMDG and VATSIM

I want to thank you all for the responses. There is a lot of valuable info here. I have been checking it out for a couple weeks. I have v-pilot, and have installed the IVAO traffic pack. I have done a radio check and after some issues with sound card settings and a bad headset finally got a good read. Can someone tell me where I can get the latest Nav Data for the FMC on the ZGX?

The Jetstream already has a panel mounted weather radar that is currently only good for opening and closing the FS2Crew configurator. It'd be nice for it to come alive in the VC. 

If you purchase RealityXP's WX500 then the J41 weather radar will become functional (although the knobs don't work, you have to use hidden click spots on the screen itself). You don't have to make any changes to the panel.cfg as the code is already there, put in by PMDG.

Alternatively you purchase Captain Sim's weather radar and alter the panel.cfg to get much the same effect. Whilst you could fit an ASN gauge, I believe this readout is like that from a ground based station or satellite (top down), rather than an airborne one (with tilt, sweep and shadow).

layout.jpg

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

If you purchase RealityXP's WX500 then the J41 weather radar will become functional (although the knobs don't work, you have to use hidden click spots on the screen itself). You don't have to make any changes to the panel.cfg as the code is already there, put in by PMDG.

Alternatively you purchase Captain Sim's weather radar and alter the panel.cfg to get much the same effect. Whilst you could fit an ASN gauge, I believe this readout is more like that from a ground based station or satellite, rather than an airborne one.

layout.jpg

Are the returns with those 2 units accurate with ASN like they are with the 777?

Are the returns with those 2 units accurate with ASN like they are with the 777?

Nope: Only the ASN XGauge would be accurate, but that is a top-down moving weather map thingy: No beam, no sweep, no tilt, no gain, no ground clutter.

To be honest that's a whole other discussion, but in brief; the RealityXP and CaptainSim units are years old, released long before ASN was thought of and generate a "best guess" based on FSX weather station data. Neither gives a truly accurate picture because rain in FSX is just a visual effect, it's not coincident with cloud.

ASN is a different matter, to date it's the only weather engine that can accurately place precipitation and therefore allow a true weather radar image to be depicted; the PMDG 777 takes data directly from ASN to generate a proper airborne weather radar image (with tilt, sweep, ground clutter, radar shadow etc).

The gauge included with ASN doesn't generate an airborne radar picture though, it's the sort of image you'd get from a satellite link (i.e. top down).

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

To be honest that's a whole other discussion, but in brief; the RealityXP and CaptainSim units are years old, released long before ASN was thought of and generate a "best guess" based on FSX weather station data. Neither gives a truly accurate picture because rain in FSX is just a visual effect, it's not coincident with cloud.

ASN is a different matter, to date it's the only weather engine that can accurately place precipitation and therefore allow a true weather radar image to be depicted; the PMDG 777 takes data directly from ASN to generate a proper airborne weather radar image (with tilt, sweep, ground clutter, radar shadow etc).

The gauge included with ASN doesn't generate an airborne radar picture though, it's the sort of image you'd get from a satellite link (i.e. top down).

Exactly.... Which is why it'd be nice for PMDG to integrate it with the INOP model already in the Jetstream the way they did with the T7, but again, I doubt they'll do it.

PMDG have indicated on several occasions there will be no further updates to the J41, other than a possible port to P3D. The last service pack for it came out over 5 years ago.

The RXP WX500 integration is there if you don't want a blank weather radar, that was the best available by contemporary standards. If someone releases a standalone gauge that turns ASN data in to a true airborne weather radar representation then it should be simple to drop in (slightly confused why HiFi didn't include such a gauge with ASN tbh, I'm sure it would boost popularity of the product).

support1.jpg

Thanks Oli, I may have just found a reason to purchase ASN.

support1.jpg

I have yet to fly online and plan to go through all the training recommendations on the vatsim website but my question is whether the controllers care if I use the 777 on unrealistic flights. I don't have alot of free time so the longest flight I would be able to do would be 2 hours. Which is somewhat unusual for the 777. Sorry for the off topic question.

Thanks

Geoff Street

I have yet to fly online and plan to go through all the training recommendations on the vatsim website but my question is whether the controllers care if I use the 777 on unrealistic flights. I don't have alot of free time so the longest flight I would be able to do would be 2 hours. Which is somewhat unusual for the 777. Sorry for the off topic question.

Thanks

Geoff Street

You can fly whatever you want, between wherever you want. Want to take a T7 between London and Paris? Go for it.

Aamir Thacker

I don't have alot of free time so the longest flight I would be able to do would be 2 hours. Which is somewhat unusual for the 777.

There are a couple of threads about 777 short flights. For the 77L two are 1)Air Canada CYYZ-CYVR and back and 2) KATL-KLAX. Both are segments to and from Sydney, Australia (YSSY). There are shorter ones than these.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Don't forget the seasonal demand. I've flown on a 777 between IAD and MIA a few times in the spring.

Kyle Rodgers

In Japan, the 777 are a very common airplane on short haul domestic flights with high pax numbers

Geoff Bryce