Sign in to follow this  
Smokeyr67

X-Plane Noob

Hi guys,

After a long layoff I've gotten back into simming and after some deliberation I've gone with X-Plane over the competition. I'm putting together a lot of Saitek panels and instruments with the plan to build my own cockpit in the near future.

I'm going to pick up a couple of Carenado aircraft today, the 337 and probably the PA 34, and I was wondering if there's a good weather pack available?

Anyhow, thanks for letting me join the forum, and hopefully I won't be too annoying asking newb questions:)

Shane

Seasonal weather is a problem with X-Plane as there is no fall or winter texture in the default version.  I like SkyMaxx Pro for clouds which are arguably "better" than the default, but also some claim are more framerate friendly.

Although OT, I would also recommend the HD mesh v2 by alpilotx that is available as freeware (or DVDs at PilotShop if your internet connection is slow).

Seasonal weather isn't a problem for me, I'm Australian so it's either hot or hotter:)

Thanks for the tip on the HD Mesh, I'm googling it as we speak.

Shane

I wouldn't touch the HD Mesh v2 which is huge download, just wait a couple of days or so and get the new Ver 3

Trevor Golding

And just for information for others reading this ... there are winter textures available as addon.

But ... "seasons" vs. "seasons":: there are simulators out there which are representing seasons with textures but a quite poor seasons simulation (no names  :lol:). And there is a different simulator which has a quite good seasons simulation (although not perfect), but until recently no seasons textures (again no names ...).

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

And just for information for others reading this ... there are winter textures available as addon.

But ... "seasons" vs. "seasons":: there are simulators out there which are representing seasons with textures but a quite poor seasons simulation (no names :lol:). And there is a different simulator which has a quite good seasons simulation (although not perfect), but until recently no seasons textures (again no names ...).

And after many years of seeing your definition of 'seasons', I'm afraid I have to formally challenge it. I think you mean 'weather effects', and not 'seasons' as most people would understand them. You seem to be talking about the simulator's ability to accurately represent weather changes on the aircraft (i.e. Icing, humidity) which, yes, XP can do natively. What it can't do (still now with a stop-gap texture replacement) is show seasonal weather effects on the environment (i.e. Snow, changing leaf colours), which I think is what most people are talking about when they say 'seasons'.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Yes, it is a bit frustrating to fly into Nepal or Bhutan and find green Himalayas in the winter.

I looked over that site.  The files are in .exe format which is a bit shaky, followed by other data files.  I'd be afraid to download and try to install them, but it's good to see that some are working on them.  Perhaps when the project is complete, they will put them out in a more usable format as folders?

For seasons I - in contrast to mtaxp - recommend the ones at the org (Winter Package)

The advantage here is, that they should be lighter on FPS (as they use almost no fancy normal maps ... which are used more in the russian ones ... and can cost FPS on older cards) AND they are from the "father" of the original (default) X-plane 10 ground textures (so he has a quite good idea about how the textures should / could work).

I looked over that site.  The files are in .exe format which is a bit shaky, followed by other data files

That's unfortunate, as it excludes Mac and Linux users which make a good portion of X-Plane users.

For seasons I - in contrast to mtaxp - recommend the ones at the org (Winter Package)

The advantage here is, that they should be lighter on FPS (as they use almost no fancy normal maps ... which are used more in the russian ones ... and can cost FPS on older cards) AND they are from the "father" of the original (default) X-plane 10 ground textures (so he has a quite good idea about how the textures should / could work).

I used these with the JSGME setup, they are great, but do not work well with treelineandfarms nor do they work well with urbanmaxx......

And I WISH there was an autumn version instead of just hard winter. Snow all over the UK is just unrealistic.......

Yes, I default to FSX for much of my winter flying outside of tropical areas.