Sign in to follow this  
Daniel choen

X-plane question

Hello guys,

I am finding myself in a very bizarre spot, on the one hand I have never thought I would be so interest in X-plane, on the other hand I cannot leave my fsx and here is why:

I mainly fly vatsim for practicing real world procedures, IFR procedures, PMDG suites my needs very good, it has those fully working precisely systems, very good sounds etc etc...

I must say I haven't flown a 737 yet, just smaller ones, but heard some things from people like X-plane really does make you feel as if you're landing in a crosswind, or in clouds, in turbulence etc.

things like that are very important for me, now I know how it feels to land in a cross wind and I know how it feels in fsx, I have never tried X-plane so I have no clue how it feels there.

I suppose that's the best forum to post that question because you guys know a thing or two B) .

I am not interested in investing money or time on X-plane if it doesn't really worth it. should we (I) really consider moving to X-plane?

appreciate any thought of you guys. cheers.

X plane was my first Siming experience,  I went to PD3 as I wanted things like A2A, Orbtx and so on, I always go back to X-Plane though.  Im not a pilot so im not going to give my opinion on Flight Dynamics, personally I don't see a difference.   Ease of use: Get X-Plane on Steam, one click install and unistall everything configured for you, Ad Ons are slow but still coming, what for the sale.....X-Plane is smother, for me anyway a lot smother, panning around a Carenado cockpit plane is super smooth on X-Plane not so much on PD3, X-plane is 64Bit, i don't know maybe that's why.....Everyone talks about Flight Dynamics when choosing X-Plane so everybody cant be wrong,  the thing is though choosing X-Plane you will lose hundred of Plug N Play Ad On's.  X-Plane has some fantastic Ad On's but require a little more time and effort but worth the time.  HD V3 Mesh will be out soon which looks fantastic and loads of X-Plane goodies over at the X-Aviation site. 

I've flown all the available sims over time and spent many thousands on FSX before I moved exclusively to X-Plane. I became interested in the blade theory element of X-Plane way back at version 6 but it's only since version 10 came out that X-Plane has become the sim that could make me abandon the others entirely. The demo available is not going to come anywhere near convincing you and in truth it takes time and a little money to make it as good as it can be. It is worth the little it takes though.

The impression of distance and of covering that distance in XP is far superior to the others. I love to do circuits in small GA craft on windy days because truly there is no comparison between what you get on such days in XP and the others.

I'm not the fanb*y type, I'm too damn old for that kind of behavior but I truly believe XP is now the superior sim in the market. As for heavy iron, the Airbus offerings in the XP market are superior to the Boeings so that takes a little getting used to but there are some excellent Boeing 73's in development.

Like any other sim, it takes time to get used to the different implementation of adjusting settings and such but persevere, you'll not be sorry.

Thanks you two, one question that comes in my mind is what are you guys doing in the PMDG forum? are you waiting for PMDG to release addon for X-plane? anyways thanks again. cheers.

I have FSX since 2 years (DX9/DX10) and since 5 months i am an XPX user, and the first thing i noticed in X plane was the difference between flight dynamics in X plane and FSX. I am not a programmer or a real pilot but as a simple user i felt that XPX calculates physics in the equation far more then FSX does.

I am using World traffic add on for AI traffic it is a basic add on but improving with the help of the community and the first thing i noticed that wind and turbulence affect aircrafts so they will bounce around turbulence and crab in to the wind in flight.

I am also following up on the "X plane development Status thread" for PMDG, everyone is looking forward to know what they are developing for XPX.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Thanks you two, one question that comes in my mind is what are you guys doing in the PMDG forum? are you waiting for PMDG to release addon for X-plane? anyways thanks again. cheers.

Completely aside from the fact that I have purchased PMDG titles (now unused) over the years, your post was entitled "X-Plane question". What did you expect?

Try both P3d and X plane.

P3d I think has a money back policy

X plane has a demo time period around Seattle area . The time period for the demo is that your joystick shall stop working after some time so you need to fly using the mouse. 

The x plane demo will not give you much.

How the flight dynamics are is hard to tell unless you are a real world pilot. but i can say one thing that the low level flying is very good. You will feel the motion.

Weather not sure as people did say that wind is too hard , I personally avoid weather because my GPU is on the lower end.

As to the visuals there are outstanding freewares available like HD Mesh / World2Xplane /  and a lot many from the .org.

Even the default  X plane terrain is very good.

The HDR visuals are stunning.

Nothing beats the lighting in X plane especially at night.

World road  scenery is almost accurate , buildings and other objects are pretty much accurate to there geo position.

You want to fly the big ones or jet trainers than Fsx / P3d takes the cake.

For VFR GA I find X plane takes the crown. 

Things you will miss and hate X plane 10 for.

Airports

AI

ATC.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

The good thing about X-Plane is that you don't need to invest a lot of money in order to get into the sim. You can spend as little or as much as you like. The X-Plane freeware scene is much more active and healthy than that of FSX/P3D which is almost dominated by payware publishers like OrbX, Flight1 etc.

Up until recently, the only payware I had for X-Plane was 2 or 3 Carenado planes i picked up at last year's holiday sale for ~$12 each. The rest is just freeware. For scenery, there's the HD Mesh and for some areas like Europe, SimHeaven photoreal scenery with accurate autogen, all for free. Handy utilities like FlyWithLUA/RealTerraHaze, HeadShaker etc. are all free. I recently picked up SkyMaxx Pro which is a little bit pricey, well worth it, but absolutely not necessary to enjoy X-Plane.

For more complex, larger aircraft, there's at least one or two developers doing this for X-Plane. I feel it would be unfair to link to them in a thread in the PMDG forum though. https://www.youtube.com/user/frooglesim covers X-Plane addons from time to time.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Simple answer is: yes

Well, let me help you Daniel.

- I was a passioned guy flying PMDG airplanes in FSX and och.. what have I learned a lot of it! But I moved from FSX to X-Plane 10 since X-Plane is not a dead project and 'not' limited since it is 64 bits, compared to the 32 bit FSX. As a result of this, X-Plane is able to introduce more opportunities and is just way more complex and advanced for the user but also for delopers. This results in a higher quality simming experience. Furthermore, X-Plane runs way more better on a computer than FSX. It used all your hardware and you are able to configure it more easily. Next to that, and thats why I love and now stick with X-Plane: whole Europe in photoreal is available (for free!) in high quality. And don't ask me why but it's true: photorealistic scenery in X-Plane looks and feels way more realistic than the same photorealistic scenery in FSX. Within FSX it looks great, but still like a cartoon sim. PMDG is just too good and beautiful for FSX  :lol:  When we fly PMDG in X-Plane well ..... :wub:

The only problem for now is that we are in a 'transition period'. X-Plane 10 is going to catch up FSX completely in the near future, I am sure of that. It's just waiting for two critical items:

1) Uber-Quality aircraft such as PMDG

2) Uber-Quality airports

However,

1) There are already some great quality aircraft. The only items they often lack is: uber-quality cockpit textures and enhanced sounds. If PMDG made 100 buttons, you will get 100 different button sounds for example. This depth in sound quality lacks a bit in X-Plane. BUT, it's coming.

2) There are some high quality airports already available for X-Plane but not that many. The biggest advantage of airports in X-Plane compared to FSX is the advanced technology such as HDR lightnings. 

I hope I have helped you a bit.

Edit:

Well, I am not trying to start up a screenshot forum here but let me try to show what we (X-Plane users) mean with our X-Plane feeling. Now, imagine you are flying here with PMDG. What do you tink?   B) 

Note: screenshot has not been edited. What you see is what you are able to get. With an easy plugin, you are able to tune the colors in X-Plane to satisfy your eyes.

11b2ao4.jpg

Edited by FS Hub

Simple answer is: yes

Well, let me help you Daniel.

- I was a passioned guy flying PMDG airplanes in FSX and och.. what have I learned a lot of it! But I moved from FSX to X-Plane 10 since X-Plane is not a dead project and 'not' limited since it is 64 bits, compared to the 32 bit FSX. As a result of this, X-Plane is able to introduce more opportunities and is just way more complex and advanced for the user but also for delopers. This results in a higher quality simming experience. Furthermore, X-Plane runs way more better on a computer than FSX. It used all your hardware and you are able to configure it more easily. Next to that, and thats why I love and now stick with X-Plane: whole Europe in photoreal is available (for free!) in high quality. And don't ask me why but it's true: photorealistic scenery in X-Plane looks and feels way more realistic than the same photorealistic scenery in FSX. Within FSX it looks great, but still like a cartoon sim. PMDG is just too good and beautiful for FSX  :lol:  When we fly PMDG in X-Plane well ..... :wub:

The only problem for now is that we are in a 'transition period'. X-Plane 10 is going to catch up FSX completely in the near future, I am sure of that. It's just waiting for two critical items:

1) Uber-Quality aircraft such as PMDG

2) Uber-Quality airports

However,

1) There are already some great quality aircraft. The only items they often lack is: uber-quality cockpit textures and enhanced sounds. If PMDG made 100 buttons, you will get 100 different button sounds for example. This depth in sound quality lacks a bit in X-Plane. BUT, it's coming.

2) There are some high quality airports already available for X-Plane but not that many. The biggest advantage of airports in X-Plane compared to FSX is the advanced technology such as HDR lightnings. 

I hope I have helped you a bit.

Edit:

Well, I am not trying to start up a screenshot forum here but let me try to show what we (X-Plane users) mean with our X-Plane feeling. Now, imagine you are flying here with PMDG. What do you tink?   B) 

Note: screenshot has not been edited. What you see is what you are able to get. With an easy plugin, you are able to tune the colors in X-Plane to satisfy your eyes.

11b2ao4.jpg

Hey Steven, appreciate your help, what's in that picture? HD mesh europe the one that is for free? doesn't the flight model of the aircraft has to do with the developer like PMDG? I mean many people says that the flight model of Xplane is more real, but doesn't it the developer work? cheers.