Sign in to follow this  

Network setup OpusFSI ... Client/Server definitions?

So I think I'm supposed to install OpusFSI on my main Flight Sim PC AND my Client PC if I plan to operate in Network mode?

Is that accurate?

Cheers, Rob.

Yes, that is correct, you run the FSISERVER.EXE on the main flight sim PC and FSICLIENT.EXE on the client PC(s). You only need to activate OpusFSI on the main flight sim PC.

Installing the Opus Software on the Client PCs

If you wish you can copy the Opus msi installation file onto your optional client systems and double-click on the file to install the software, but you must uninstall the old software first via Control Panel, Uninstall a Program. Double click on the Opus msi file and follow the instructions to install the software. 
Alternatively, you can simply create an OpusFSI (or OpusFSX) folder on each of your client PCs and simply copy the files and sub-folders across from the server's OpusFSI (or OpusFSX) folder. You only need to copy the DLL and EXE files across from the main folder, along with all sub-folders (e.g. the Themes sub-folder). Take care not to corrupt your DAT, CMD and camera files on the client PCs which contain your client's current configuration and operational data. 

Each of your computers must be able to 'see' each other over the local area network. The Opus software will make efficient use of any speed of network without you configuring anything else other than the IP addresses, but the faster the network the better.

You can monitor the connection status on the main form display of the FSXSERVER program, and each of the FSXCLIENT programs. In each case, the Application Links will turn green when a connection is made. Note, the server will allocate two or three links for each Live View client, one link for each of the possible Live View Position & Attitude, and Live Weather connections.

To configure the system simply run the FSXSERVER and FSXCLIENT programs on their installed PCs (you don't need to run the sim for this purpose). Click on the Configure button on the main dialog (form) display and configure the appropriate options.

For the FSXSERVER program you must specify how many Live View client computers you will be using. You can also enable and specify the required options for the supported device drivers. Click OK when done and the server program will prepare all necessary communication links.

Repeat the exercise for each FSXCLIENT program. In this case you must specify the network identity (either the IP address or computer name) of the main server, that is, the PC running the FSXSERVER program. You can also specify other options to enable the various client features (e.g. Live Camera control). Click OK when finished and the client will prepare all communication links and attempt to connect to the networked FSXSERVER program.

Please refer to our Getting Started Single PC and Getting Started Networked PCs guides for further details.

Cheryl

Thank you Cheryl ... much appreciated.

Cheers, Rob.

Spoke too soon, I'm getting a Operating Mode: "Validating Licence" (think you mean License) with a yellow background.

Any insight?

Cheers, Rob.

Check your OpusFSI\FSISERVER.log for errors. If the OpusFSI.DLL is more than 7 days old then the software has had a problem downloading the latest DLL from our server which may be due to your firewall, AV software or router blocking access. If all else fails you can manually download the DLL from our server here, and save it to your OpusFSI folder.

You must install the Flight1 purchase file on your C drive. You can move the msi to another location but must leave the OpusFSX and/or OpusFSI licence and key files on drive C in the C:\Opus Software folder.

Opus can only be installed on one drive in one folder. Uninstall any old versions of Opus using Control Panel, Uninstall a Program.

It may be a problem with a corrupt licence file, you should not open the licence file. Reinstall the OpusFSI Flight1 purchase file again (refer to Reinstalling Opus on a new or reformatted PC).

Also if you have performed a windows update then you may need to reboot your PC.

Cheryl

You must install the Flight1 purchase file on your C drive. You can move the msi to another location but must leave the OpusFSX and/or OpusFSI licence and key files on drive C in the C:\Opus Software folder.

That was the problem, thank you ... working "Unlimited Operation".

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Validating Licence ...

We are British and hence use the correct (British) grammatical sense depending on whether it is used as a noun or verb.

So we use Licence (noun, as in "the OpusFSI licence is installed in c:\Opus Software folder.") or License (verb, as in "OpusFSI is licensed through Flight1").

Different in the USA of course, I believe they always use an 's' in the spelling no matter what the grammatical sense.

Stephen :smile:

We are British and hence use the correct (British) grammatical sense depending on whether it is used as a noun or verb.

Fair enough Stephen, sad part is I'm of British decent and "Licence" didn't trigger my memory ... I guess I've been a US citizen too long now, forgetting all the British language spelling differences.

On the the "other thread regarding performance" ... changing the P3D cloud detail from Max to Medium solved the FPS issue.  OpusFSI definitely introduces many more clouds than either FSGRW or ASN.

ASN - Cloud Details: Max = OpusFSI - Cloud Details: Medium  -- visual density comes out to be about the same.

Glad I got this sorted out.

Cheers, Rob.