I play FSX.  I had been running a GTX 660 for over a year without any problems.   I bought a Gigabyte GTX 970.  When it is working, it is working really well, am getting about 40 fps maxed out, when I would only get about 16 or so with the 660.  The most it would do was drop the frames to about 10 in heavy scenery.  What is happening now is that the 970 will mess up and start looking like the screen does when we win at solitaire in windows.  it starts making trails and ends up freezing.  Sometime the sky will also turn black, but the clouds and ground will still remain.  I am hoping this is just a driver or settings issue.  I have no idea how to describe this in a search.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks

Gigabyte Z77_UD5H MB

I5-3570K OC 4.3GHz

16 MB RAM

Gigabyte GTX970 Gaming Card

Corsair AX760i power

I set up using nvidia inspector from the guide from simforums.  

I am disappointed in buying this.  I never had these problems with my asus gtx660.  I don't know what to search for in the forums as far as troubleshooting goes.  Any kind of help is appreciated.  Thanks

I just bought and installed the Gigabyte GTX970 G1, and no problems at all.

Maybe try delete and rebuild the cfg?

Run GPU-Z with the PCI-E Render Test, check under sensor tab and see how it works.

When I video card vomits all over the screen it can sometimes mean there is a problem with your clock speeds or heat or both.  Have you run monitoring software in real time to see what the card is doing when it does a Michael Bay 'SPLOSION!?

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I haven't messed with the clock speeds.  I thought it could be a heat problem, but the fans are running at their minimum and set automatically with nvidia inspector.  Will try a benchmark test. I am thinking it is probably a setting in cfg or something.  Thanks for replies.

If you just slapped it in with the same fsx.cfg then that is hopefully the source of your troubles.

Heat won't cause that. It would just throttle.

Have you tried running unigine valley to make sure the card isn't faulty?

I did let it rebuild the cfg when I replaced the card.  I just rebuilt it again, and again put in the tweaks from simforum, along with the changes to nvidia inspector.  I did a benchmark test with 3DMark 11, and it was good. the fans barely spun up on the card.  I guess I am in for an afternoon of troubleshooting and adding tweaks one at a time.  Will try reinstalling drivers. thanks again

Fixed!  When I loaded driver uninstaller, it was saying GPU detected was my old GTX 660.  I did uninstall and reinstall the drivers when I switched cards, but something was out of whack.  Much thanks to James79 for steering me to the driver uninstaller.  I had one years ago that I used to use, but quit when nvidia offered the clean install with their driver packs.  Guess it doesn't clean as well as it could.

Well done, and enjoy the awesome GTX970!

It´s run so quiet, and very effective cooling with those 3 fans.

BTW before I installed the card I removed the driver from the previous card, let W7 load the default, exit and install the GTX970, no problems.

Fixed!  When I loaded driver uninstaller, it was saying GPU detected was my old GTX 660.  I did uninstall and reinstall the drivers when I switched cards, but something was out of whack.  Much thanks to James79 for steering me to the driver uninstaller.  I had one years ago that I used to use, but quit when nvidia offered the clean install with their driver packs.  Guess it doesn't clean as well as it could.

No problem enjoy the 970 its a beast of a card.

An update....I rebuilt the cfg again, and then used Kostas' settings to tweak.  I am shocked at what I am seeing!!  The clarity is unbelievable, it is like watching a movie. There is no flashing in clouds or vertical lines (which I had before).  The glass panels in the PMDG 777 are crystal clear!  Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.  This was money very well spent!