Sign in to follow this  
ap1

Possible to use Updated Nav Data from www.aero.sors.fr with default FSX Airports

I have the Intersection Updates and Navaid Updates from the site listed above.  Just wondering if it's possible to use that with default FSX airports.  I fly offline only.  A perfect example could be KORD.  So, do you think it's possible?  Thanks.

Yes but it will be limited to the default FSX GPS. 3rd party such as PMDG/Flight1/Aerosoft will all use nav data providers to update their aircraft to the latest revision.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

In addition to the above, it is also possible that you'll find some of the "new nav data" will lead you to non-existent, new or realigned runways with default FSX/P3D airports.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

In addition to the above, it is also possible that you'll find some of the "new nav data" will lead you to non-existent, new or realigned runways with default FSX/P3D airports.

I guess in that case if let's say a SID for an airport uses a new runway not in FSX, then I would think the best bet would be to add the common points to all runways.  Then I could use the runways in FSX?

I guess in that case if let's say a SID for an airport uses a new runway not in FSX, then I would think the best bet would be to add the common points to all runways.  Then I could use the runways in FSX?

Not that easy. FSX doesn't use SID/STAR's and nothing within the default GPS  environment allows it. The link leads to an updating of waypoints and navaids for use with the built in flight planner. Your best bet is to use the map feature of FS to see what is there and the frequencies of each.

KFLL is a great example, take a look at the airport in FS and then look at it over at airnav.com. While the updates may get you the correct frequency it will not match the physical airport environment within FS.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Not that easy. FSX doesn't use SID/STAR's and nothing within the default GPS  environment allows it. The link leads to an updating of waypoints and navaids for use with the built in flight planner. Your best bet is to use the map feature of FS to see what is there and the frequencies of each.

KFLL is a great example, take a look at the airport in FS and then look at it over at airnav.com. While the updates may get you the correct frequency it will not match the physical airport environment within FS.

Even though that airport may have new or changed runways, as I said if the SID is runway specific, I think I can include common waypoints in the FS flight planner, then that will load in the default GPS.

just use updated afcads

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

The general problem is this:  the navigation data needed for flight planning comes from 3 different files.  The NVX files provide the enroute VOR and NDB data.  The ATX files provide the enroute navigation waypoints and the low/high level IFR routes.  To do this, if routes include a navaid, a waypoint is established at the same position as the navaid.  Finally the APX files provide navaids and waypoints associated with airports, in particular those required for instrument approach procedures.  In the US in particular, instrument approaches typically include "feeder routes" from the enroute system which are provided as "transitions".  In the case of SID/STAR, all of these must be considered if you want to use the FSX planning facilities.

scott s.

The general problem is this:  the navigation data needed for flight planning comes from 3 different files.  The NVX files provide the enroute VOR and NDB data.  The ATX files provide the enroute navigation waypoints and the low/high level IFR routes.  To do this, if routes include a navaid, a waypoint is established at the same position as the navaid.  Finally the APX files provide navaids and waypoints associated with airports, in particular those required for instrument approach procedures.  In the US in particular, instrument approaches typically include "feeder routes" from the enroute system which are provided as "transitions".  In the case of SID/STAR, all of these must be considered if you want to use the FSX planning facilities.

scott s.

Yea, thanks for the information.  I think I know what to do.  If an airport is too outdated, then i'll go to the library here or at flightsim and and download an updated afcad.  I also don't use the auto routes from the FSX flight planner.  I use flightaware, and then add the waypoints.  That to me seems good enough.  But just downloading the whole US or most of it even if it isn't outdated is just too much work.  So better to just update if i need to.  Thanks.