Sign in to follow this  
FINXPAS

Lockheed Martin VS Dovetail Games ?

Or is it really Skunkworks VS Steam (pure distribution) LOL.

What is Dovetail to the aeronautics industry ? Any chance they might pump out a 64bit FSX before Prepar3d ? Prepar3d has already vastly improved the visuals, stability and performance of flight simulation with its FSX license. 

Maybe these are truly complementary platforms... game oriented flight vs professional/student flight training ? Is this the real point of offering FSX variations ?

One thing is certain, competition will most certainly accelerate development of flight simulation software ;)

That's really doubtful my friend. I think it's far more likely to shakedown like this:

1. Prepar3D: Serious Professional Simulator
  2. FSX: Entertainment
  3. FSX Steam: Clowning Around the Skies

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I don't think we can judge Dovetail until they release their own flight simulator based on Microsoft's tech. They're not allowed to do much to FSX.

I don't think we can judge Dovetail until they release their own flight simulator based on Microsoft's tech. They're not allowed to do much to FSX.

LOL....I think we can judge them just fine. They are a company that seems to buy up dead end trash and squeeeeezs the last possible penny out of it. But.....just the thought of them beating anyone to the release of a 64 bit Flight Sim was worth a great laugh tonight. Please don't be offended by the laugh. It is just that Dovetail is not likely to come close to that.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

How many of these threads about Dovetail/Steam do we need? It's totally out-of-hand. My suggestions to the mods is to simply refer the poster to any of the many existing threads and delete all the new ones. End of rant.....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

That's really doubtful my friend. I think it's far more likely to shakedown like this:

4. Goat Simulator (because they couldn't figure out FSX: Steam Edition)

Matthew Kane

P3D, FSX, FSX-steam, are all just variations of the same thing, an engine in which one uses a simulated airplane.  The level of seriousness of the simulation is determined by the realism of the particular airplane addon.  Flying an entertainment grade airplane in P3D isn't "Serious Professional Simulator" just because the P3D lic. says that it is a bigboy really really serious flight simulator.  Likewise, assuming you could run the exact same high quality add on content, I can't see how FSX-Steam automatically means clowning around the sky, the way n4gix put it.  You can clown around the sky in all of them.

What makes Prear3D a "Serious Professional Simulator" and FSX "Entertainment"?

Actually, P3D is licensed to be used as part of a professional simulator. There are actual certified simulators out there that are licensed to use P3D, such as Fresca. These simulators are used by flying clubs & such like & cost in excess of $60 000.00

Actually, a huge difference between a product, released by a gaming studio & all development stopped 8 years ago, & a product, developed & upgraded about 8 times now, from the professional (not for entertainment) version that was sold to certified users, manufacturs & developers called ESP!

If you take the time to have a look around the P3D site, you will realise the difference between gaming & a professional company.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

DX10 should be at number 1...think about it

ZORAN

LOL....I think we can judge them just fine. They are a company that seems to buy up dead end trash and squeeeeezs the last possible penny out of it. But.....just the thought of them beating anyone to the release of a 64 bit Flight Sim was worth a great laugh tonight. Please don't be offended by the laugh. It is just that Dovetail is not likely to come close to that.

No, we can't. As it has been said multiple times, Microsoft have placed restrictions on how much they can interfere with FSX. It would be silly to think that Dovetail would be allowed to make such a big change like 64-bit.

Until they release their own flight simulator, nobody knows what they can really do in the flight simulation department.

My idea of a professional simulator is the NASA-derived engine that drives the Majestic Dash 8. That to me screams professionalism, not cloud shadows, HDR, or whatever eye candy Lockheed is dangling in front of "professionals" (are flight schools really sold by screenshots of orbx compatability? The license agreement and branding are in direct contrast.). I have no idea what P3D could add to the professionalism of flight sim unless they really go balls to the wall with the flight dynamics and systems - and therefore break every current add-on we currently have which attempted to fill in those pieces themselves.

When I see the words P3D or Dovetail now I literally get nauseas. With all the amazing tech being released in addons (my sim is exponentially as cool and has twice as many fps as I had three years ago) we should be happier and happier and everyone seems more miserable. Wake me up when there is a retrofit of the fsx dynamic engine using the special sauce in the q400.

Just my two pennies. I'll go back to flying now and shut up.

Until they release their own flight simulator, nobody knows what they can really do in the flight simulation department.

This isn't entirely true, we can see how they approach there current simulators.  They already have released Train Simulator and Fishing/Boredom Simulator.  I only have personal experience of the first of these products.  

I have owned train simulator since the first MS release and quite honestly i would struggle to tell the annual releases apart, they make very minor improvements, normally related to graphics and give the engine away for free always accompanied by bundles of add-ons of, shall we say, variable quality.

It's possibly worth noted that while the graphics on TS2015 are pretty good they are also very confined, once you move away from the tracks, things get bad quickly.

I would expect something very much like MS Flight and designed for the same market.

Ian R Tyldesley