Sign in to follow this  
FINXPAS

Lockheed Martin VS Dovetail Games ?

It is actually quite true. We have no idea whatsover what kind of flight sim is going to come from guys who markets Trains & Goat simulations.

As said before, they claim that they will be using MS's flight (small f) technology, so, it could be technology from FS2004, Combat Flight Sim or even Flight!

It is also noted that Dovetail's market IS the gaming market.

We will see...

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

The problem with Flight wasn't DLC. Flight simmers have embraced DLC, or addons, as we call it. The problem with Flight was the closed nature of the sim. With only one publisher of DLC (Microsoft), quality went down the toilet, and we got cockpitless freeware priced at $20. Had the sim been open to addon developers, it might have been a success, or at least less of a failure.

Unfortunately, Dovetail's business model is self-published DLC. This has worked well for their train simulator, so there's a big risk that after FSX Steam Edition, they'll just create "Dovetail Flight".

Whatever they do, they'll never be "competitors" with LM and P3D. We're not the target audience of P3D. We're only allowed to use it because LM turn a blind eye to the activity.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

This isn't entirely true, we can see how they approach there current simulators.  They already have released Train Simulator and Fishing/Boredom Simulator.  I only have personal experience of the first of these products.  

I have owned train simulator since the first MS release and quite honestly i would struggle to tell the annual releases apart, they make very minor improvements, normally related to graphics and give the engine away for free always accompanied by bundles of add-ons of, shall we say, variable quality.

It's possibly worth noted that while the graphics on TS2015 are pretty good they are also very confined, once you move away from the tracks, things get bad quickly.

I would expect something very much like MS Flight and designed for the same market.

The thing is, it's impossible to compare them to Lockheed Martin as developers until we see what they can do with Microsoft's tech. So far they've done way different things, but now they're essentially working on the same tech (FSX/P3D), and until Dovetail show us the result of this work, we can't judge them.

Also Dovetail said Flight felt too dumbed-down for them, which means we might be seeing another authentic flight simulator from them.

We have no idea whatsover what kind of flight sim is going to come from guys who markets Trains & Goat simulations.

Goat Simulator wasn't made by Dovetail.

MARKETS not made! 

Dunno how you can say same tech as FSX/P3D!

I'm sure you are aware that technically, although the engines are similar, FSX was last updated about 8 years ago, & Accelleration came out about then as well, & P3D is on version 2.4! Thats about 6-7 updates/mods releases etc as compared to FSX.  

Again, lol ...  re an authentic sim from Dovetail. It will be interesting to see what happens when that comes out, & what the current add-on devs do, unless Dovetail has partnered with any. 

So, in the future, serious devs are going to develop for FS9 (some still do), FSX, FSX-Steam & some totally new one with no history, no nothing?

Interestingly, Steam has a Flight forum (since about 2010).

Remember as well, MS's flight engine could be anything! (FS9, CFS, Flight) 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Actually, P3D is licensed to be used as part of a professional simulator. There are actual certified simulators out there that are licensed to use P3D, such as Fresca. These simulators are used by flying clubs & such like & cost in excess of $60 000.00

Actually, a huge difference between a product, released by a gaming studio & all development stopped 8 years ago, & a product, developed & upgraded about 8 times now, from the professional (not for entertainment) version that was sold to certified users, manufacturs & developers called ESP!

If you take the time to have a look around the P3D site, you will realise the difference between gaming & a professional company.

Any simulation software can be the basis for a BATD or AATD IAW AC 61-136A http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-136A.pdf. Precision Flight Controls, Inc is one company that builds AATDs based on Xplane https://www.flypfc.com/?/training-systems/cr-12/. ELITE uses their own custom software and REDBIRD uses something that looks like ESP. FRASCA uses TruVision™ Global as their platform. http://www.frasca.com/index.php/components-services/visual-systems.

P3D websites states, "Acceptable uses of Prepar3D include Simulation, Learning, and Training," but the act of purchasing P3D and slapping it onto your personnel computer does not make it an authorized Aviation Training Device in which you can log time IAW FAR part 61. You need a letter of authorization (LOA) which must be near or displayed with the device and for anything other than instrument currency an Authorized Instructor must be present.

What P3D can be used for off the shelf (and in fact any simulation software) is Cockpit Procedures Training or what we call ground training or familiarization. I have used FSX in the past to maintain proficiency, gain further hands on time with certain avionics under simulated flight, and have even used it to prepare for the flight portion of a job interview.

I am sure Microsoft lawyers would quickly state that is not the purpose for FSX, but software is a tool and like any tool how you approach and use it will determine its value.

Finally, since BATD and AATDs do not allow you to take a checkride in the sim I have a hard time calling them "professional simulators" in such that a Full Flight Simulator (FFS) is. They are basically in a place between ground trainers yet below Flight Simulators asTraining Devices.

I'm going to make it simple:

Lockheed Martin - Reason why we are all able to live the lives we do today.

Dovetail Games - Goat simulator.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Lockheed Martin - Reason why we are all able to live the lives we do today.

And whats that?...

FSX= Use PMDG aircraft     Prepar3d=NOT

And whats that?...

I expect it's actually more to do with some tenuous link between their military production and 'freedom'tm

Ian R Tyldesley

I stand corrected, but did PMDG originally say that their Addons are for entertainment. Yet another.. PMDG is the best since sliced bread. I'm sure that there are many out there that prefer props, etc. PMDF is not the only ultimate player out there. Sigh!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

4. Goat Simulator (because they couldn't figure out FSX: Steam Edition)

Well, they  could release an FSX version equivalent to Desert Bus. I'm sure that would create a Christmas Bonanza!

I stand corrected, but did PMDG originally say that their Addons are for entertainment. Yet another.. PMDG is the best since sliced bread. I'm sure that there are many out there that prefer props, etc. PMDF is not the only ultimate player out there. Sigh!

Oh come on now....You know everyone learns to fly in a PMDG Boing 993-T-Model 88 Super SKY Palace. Them little Cessna things are just out there to hold the ramp down and keep it from bunching up.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

And whats that?...

FSX= Use PMDG aircraft     Prepar3d=NOT

PMDG is not the only developer in the market! There are numerous not PMDG procucts that are as good if not better.

Me bad. You are correct. My memory failed me yet again. Oh, for the good old days. And yes, Cessnas were used as spacers & place holders in those days.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Oh come on now....You know everyone learns to fly in a PMDG Boing 993-T-Model 88 Super SKY Palace. Them little Cessna things are just out there to hold the ramp down and keep it from bunching up.

Hahaha, maybe it takes couple minutes hit 70 knots in my c-152. PMDG plane can wait on runway

Whilst I remain sceptical about just what Dovetail Games are going to bring to the flight simulation table, I think it's worth keeping an open mind regarding this. We only have to wait another day for the release of Flight Simulator X : Steam Edition, so we will all know very soon whether the online relaunch is a great success, or yet another turkey for the yuletide table.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png