Hello. Not sure if this is the right area to post this. I just about have my new sim pit set up. Waiting on a new 27" monitor and have a used 24" monitor from the folks. My video card has two DVI connections. I just wanted to know, because I'm sure people have done this before, will it be possible to run a program like Plan-G on the smaller monitor and to run FSX on the larger monitor without running FSX in windowed mode? Is there anyway around this? Can I somehow tell Windows not to treat the other monitor like an extension of the desktop, but still get Plan-G to open on the smaller monitor or drag it there? I just really don't want the windowed outline that comes with windowed mode, it kills immersion. Maybe a silly question, but if I have to run it in windowed mode can I get rid of the outline somehow? I swear that I have seen someone run this setup online and not have the outline. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

As far as I know, it isn't possible.

I'll add that windowed mode offers greater performance than Full Screen Mode. Also, there is a tweak that removes the top most bar from FSX, but you'll have to search for it as I don't have it and not sure where it's posted (pretty sure it's here on AVSIM).

Hope this helps you.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

It's pretty easy. Just use windows to configure your monitors...extend the desktop across both, or all three if you have three. Designate the larger monitor as the main one.

Run P3D or FSX normally, full screen and all. It will only display on the main monitor. You can then start any program you like sand drag it over to the other monitor. You can also open up instrument panels and undock those so you can drag them to the other monitor.

Works like a champ for me.

I used to be able to do this no problem with FS9, but never with FSX.  Must be in windowed mode for FSX.  I've not got around the issue by running all my other programs (ASN, ProATC-X, EFB) on second computer.  Not sure why, but I've always preferred FSX in full screen mode.

Boy, was I ever way off the mark concerning FSX and multiple monitors! You can run FSX on multiple monitors in full screen mode but....

If you have the screen resolution in FSX set to the size of your main monitor, it will show up there and black out the other monitor(s). However, you can then slide any instrument panels you open onto the other monitor(s). It makes running addon programs like Active Sky Next or FSCommander difficult though...it can be done but not in a way I like.

In windowed mode and the window expaneded to the full size of your main monitor, you still get your full cockpit view AND you get the full use of your other monitor(s) much more easily. You can still undock panels and slide them over as you wish but you can also have your addon(s) visible to use.

I have a short demo video on youtube now.

Boy, was I ever way off the mark concerning FSX and multiple monitors!

It's sincerely refreshing to have someone come back and correct info they posted.  I wish more folks would do that as there is already so much incorrect or misleading info out there.

Thanks Al, especially for taking the time to make a video (very nice job).

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

When I do get things mixed up and put out incorrect info, I try to correct it. We have enough on our hands already most of the time. Incorrect info simply muddies the water.

Incorrect info simply muddies the water.

I couldn't agree more my friend!

Thanks again... loved the video!

Take care.

Dave Hodges

Wow, some of the best FSX information that I have gotten on a forum. Thank you so much guys. Alhefner, I am assuming that you have more than one video signal out on your computer and that is how you are using three screens? I will be using two DVI out plugs from the same graphics card so I figure my outcome will be the exact same as yours. I guess I will have to live with windowed mode. I was planning on using Plan G, hoping to make it so it didn't show a plane symbol and follow it like a GPS, so I would just use it like a chart. So I can just use my laptop for Plan G and not even have to worry about that. Kind of cool. DaveCT2003, it looks like you beta tested the Majestic Dash 8. I am actually buying that tonight, though it is way past my knowledge level right now. I will look for that tweak you mentioned, thanks. 

DaveCT2003, it looks like you beta tested the Majestic Dash 8. I am actually buying that tonight, though it is way past my knowledge level right now. I will look for that tweak you mentioned, thanks.

That's great news!  I'm sure you'll find the Majestic Dash 8/Q400 to be an INCREDIBLE SIMULATOR! I don't think anyone would argue that it's the best turbo prop model ever developed - which is really saying something given how difficult that is to do!  The professional version is even more impressive (you should be able to upgrade to the Pro version once it's released.

I've run three monitors for about 8 years now both under ATI and NVIDIA, and wouldn't run flight sim any other way. I'm also experienced with adding Display Port Touch Screens and gave that up for running two networked tablets in concert with FSX - will soon add one as a CDU, just haven't had the time to do that yet.  I also run Plan-G and the Aivlasoft EFB, especially while streaming as it gives viewers the big picture when watching.

If you need a hand with the Dash 8, or if you're interested in immersion and realism based simulation, check out my profile and/or the OVPA website (see my signature).  I'd be happy to make a flight with you sometime.

Dave Hodges

... Alhefner, I am assuming that you have more than one video signal out on your computer and that is how you are using three screens? I will be using two DVI out plugs from the same graphics card so I figure my outcome will be the exact same as yours. I guess I will have to live with windowed mode...

Yes, that's correct. I run the two small monitors from one graphics card and the middle one for the sim on another but, I could just as easily put all three on the same card.

P3D will run full screen without blacking out the other two monitors but, as I found out and demonstrated, FSX won't. I guess that's one of the little "fixes" Lockheed Martin did when they bought the FSX platform...

Thanks a lot DaveCT2003. I will admit some of your last post went right over my head, but it's always fun to learn. Alhefner, I never looked that hard at P3D in the beginning, probably because of price, but I have invested so much into this project now that I might have to give it a lookover.

... Alhefner, I never looked that hard at P3D in the beginning, probably because of price, but I have invested so much into this project now that I might have to give it a lookover.

It can be expensive but that depends on which license you opt for... Most, if not all, of what you have for FSX will work in P3D but you may have to use a migration tool for a few things.

My monitor arrived yesterday so I went ahead and hooked up two monitors. Not that I didn't believe the folks on this thread, but I had to try using Plan-G on one and running FSX full screen on the other. Indeed the Plan-G monitor went black, but with FSX in Windowed Mode it worked just fine.

In full screen mode I did have black spaces on the left and right of the screen, but I was told that I just need to change the wide screen CFG to =True and it should be fixed. I thought I remembered someone saying that there was a work-around to get rid of the outline of "windowed mode," but I can't seem to find that. Does anyone know where I could find this information?

Another way I could go is to put Plan-G on my laptop to use just as a map, but it starts up so slowly compared to my PC I would rather not do that. If I do end up going this direction could I connect my laptop to my PC with USB2, let Plan-G build a database from the PC, unplug the USB2 cable, then have that information on the laptop just to use as a replacement for paper charts? I have never connected two computers. Thanks guys. LOVE the new monitor.  

this direction could I connect my laptop to my PC with USB2

I believe you would have to use ethernet but I'm not sure about Usb to Usb.  Ive run networked computers for simming for yrs but not using Ethernet only. Keeping the computer hooked up during your flight session really wont slow down anything, infact not having it on your flight computer will free up resources.