Sign in to follow this  
capceo

Thought I'd Share This Little Gem

Was flying a return trip from Lake Tahoe to Monterey Beach and just marveled over how everything comes together here with the weather. Thought I would share it with you all.

As you can see, I have the WX500 running with a little bit of downward tilt. It's showing a fairly solid return off the left side of the airplane.

That return is clearly a visible cell you can see outside the airplane. (ActiveSky Next)

More so, you can see the line of cells on the NEXRAD return on my Foreflight! I have an application for my PC (FSXFlight) that allows iPad owners with a foreflight subscription to link their foreflight to FSX! The program (which must be run on a PC that is on the same network as the iPad) tricks foreflight into thinking that the FSX data is a legitimate GPS signal, and the app behaves just as it would in the airplane.

I use foreflight for all of my charts and flight planning in real life, regardless of whether I am flying a Cessna 172 or a Lear. Using it in FS just makes the sim that much better!

Thought you guys would appreciate how it all matches up! Definitely as real as it gets!

1492661_10154978948740217_56306995303734 

Joe - Chief Pilot & Lead Tester - Flysimware Simulation Software

Captain - Gulfstream IV-SP

ATP/CFI/AGI/EMB-505/LR-JET/G-IV

Thanks Joe.  One gets the feeling you're one of us, born with some extra aviation gene.  I bet your love of airplanes goes back as far as you can remember.  I know mine does, and that's a long time.  FSX is not a game to us, it's an extension of a reality that touches the very core of our being.  We are continually striving to make FSX more real.  Your 441 has added to my perception of realism in FSX and I want to thank you for your efforts in development and in your extraordinary commitment to us after the sale.

Bill

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

Thanks Joe.  One gets the feeling you're one of us, born with some extra aviation gene.  I bet your love of airplanes goes back as far as you can remember.  I know mine does, and that's a long time.  FSX is not a game to us, it's an extension of a reality that touches the very core of our being.

Bill, I dont think anybody could have put that into words any better. I have been flying with my father since I was in diapers. We both have the extra aviation gene. He's been my mentor, flight instructor, and now (occasionally) even my copilot. Still, I'd rather fly as his right hand man, and do very often. I still to this day have memories of hand flying his Cessna 310R before I could see over the instrument panel. I could barely see over the yoke. But it didn't matter. Because I was flying. I grew up in the right seat of his Cessna 414A. I'll never forget the first time he put me in the left seat. It was about an hour after I passed my private check ride :) He soloed me, taught me for my ratings, flew my first twin with me, and he even flew my first jet with me. I owe the gene to him.

The fascinating thing about aviation is that you love it, but for so many reasons that are almost inexplicable. I believe Barry Schiff put it best in the documentary "One Six Right."

"Asking a pilot why he loves to fly is like asking someone why they love Picasso. The beauty of it is that you can't explain it; it's something you have to behold."

While nothing will ever equate to the real thing, FSX has allowed so many of us to experience the joys of flying in ways that we otherwise would never be able to. If I'm not flying for real, I'm flying at home. It's just the only thing I've ever wanted to spend my life doing. I even got a Bachelors degree in a field totally unrelated to aviation, just to broaden my horizons and see what else was out there. After those four years, it was still abundantly clear to me where I belonged.

But perhaps the biggest attraction to aviation for people like us is the community. Which is arguably the biggest attraction to FS as well. This is something that has always marveled me. Aviation is a very small world, and pilots are a very tight-knit community. Pilots are always trying to help one another out in any way they can. They're always trying to lend a hand to a less experienced individual. They're always trying to help others learn. The flight sim community is the exact same way. Sure, there's a bad egg here and there, just like in real life. But I've always marveled at how an aviation community that is purely virtual exhibits almost the exact same values as its real world counterpart.

Aviation is certainly a little corner of the world I am happy to call home. I love meeting people like you that understand and see aviation the way I do. 

Well said Joe.   It's very clear just what a wonderful Dad you have, to have captured that aviation spark in your eye and to have lovingly came along with you, for just about the whole journey.

This is what life is all about. :smile:

Good relations : good friends : doing what we love.

This is what life is all about.

That sums it up in a single sentence.  ^_^