Sign in to follow this  
alulekk

P3D in 4k - What GPU are people using?

Hi.

Wanted to get a sense of what GPU people are using for P3D in 4k?

I feel like I saw that Rob Ainscough is using a Titan Black.

I would imagine he'd be using a GTX 980 ...if there were a 6gb or 8gb VRAM option available.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at 4k resolutions, VRAM limitations become a real issue with the 3 & 4GB GPUs?

Hi,

I am using a 49" LG 4K TV as the main monitor and a 660GTX card with marvellous results (>= 30 fps) at 3850*2160 resolution

Jan

Hi,

I am using a 49" LG 4K TV as the main monitor and a 660GTX card with marvellous results (>= 30 fps) at 3850*2160 resolution

Jan

WOW.

A GTX 660 @ 4k with good FPS?

I have to admit - That blows me away

Have you tested out OrbX PNW around KSEA with your rig?  (that situation is always a torture test)

Running a Philips 40" 4K monitor (BDM4065UC) on a GTX780 3Gb - keep AA at x2 and don't go crazy with the settings sliders and its all good!

In all situations I noticed roughly 15% - 20% drop in FPS coming up from 2560x1440 res monitor.

With respect to the GTX980, this card only has a 256-bit memory bus which causes memory compression and actually hinders ultra high resolutions.

If your thinking about going 4K then get a GTX 780 /780 Ti or wait for the full Nvidia Maxwell (GM200) GPUs sometime next year.

Whilst P3Dv2 does utilise the power of modern GPU's far more than FSX does, it is still quite heavily CPU bound in most situations. Meaning even at ultra high resolutions you will probable hit your CPU limit before your GPU limit, even with a mid-range graphics card

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

With respect to the GTX980, this card only has a 256-bit memory bus which causes memory compression and actually hinders ultra high resolutions.

Interesting.

Is this one of the reasons that the 290x is so good at UHD resolutions?  (has a 512 bit bus I believe)

I run a 55-inch Samsung 4k monitor with a 980/4GB using Rob's settings. I get between 40-60 fps in most circumstances using A2A planes, the Airbus, the Q400, ASN, REX4, and Orbx regions and airports and am very pleased with the image quality. I have no shortage of video memory even though I used to use a 780/6GB card. I see no image degradation from having moved from the 780 to the 980. And with the 980, which has HDMI 2.0, I am not limited to 30 fps. My CPU is a 4790k oc'd to 4.7. I couldn't be happier. 

Robert

Anyone tried 4k sli with 970s? Looking at 4k in the next month and already have a 970.

I didn't think we had an official SLI profile from NVIDIA yet, do we?

I feel like I saw that Rob Ainscough is using a Titan Black.

I would imagine he'd be using a GTX 980 ...if there were a 6gb or 8gb VRAM option available.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but at 4k resolutions, VRAM limitations become a real issue with the 3 & 4GB GPUs?

Correct, I have exceed 4GB VRAM (I recall 4.6 being my max, but screen shot is a 4.1GB usage) and hence why I'm staying with these Titans -- see here: http://www.robainscough.com/images/4b3ecc341a1223a229265549680acae7.jpg

I didn't think we had an official SLI profile from NVIDIA yet, do we?

347.09 beta drivers are out, but they don't have anything for P3D and no mention of P3D in release notes.

I have no experience with the 980 but as pointed out it comes with HDMI 2.0 and DX12 accelerated support.

Cheers, Rob.

347.09 beta drivers are out, but they don't have anything for P3D and no mention of P3D in release notes.

I'll bet farm tractor simulator was on the list lol - Titan gpu here also 

Rich Sennett

GTX780Ti in use here.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

I'll bet farm tractor simulator was on the list

Two more 3D shooter console ports added to nVidia's list of 20,000+ 3D shooters.  I guess our feedback to nVidia didn't make the Radar ... Goats 1 ... P3D 0.

Cheers, Rob.

Just ordered a Seiki 65" 4K TV from Amazon ($1069 + free shipping). I know this TV can only do 4k at 30Hz, but I'm currently running FFTF=0.01 with 30fps locked plus 4x DSR which is already at 4K resolution. So the Seiki's 30Hz could be a perfect match to my rig.

Since my GTX 980 has no problem running 4xDSR, I hope it will deal with 4K TV just fine. With 4K I probably either don't have to run DSR or only need to run it at 1.3x or sth.

Size wise, it should also be a nice upgrade from my current 50" plasma. I found that 1080p resolution at 50" screen is barely sufficient so I know that just buying a bigger 1080p TV won't cut it. It has to be 4K to be a real upgrade.

I hope that in couple years Oculus Rift's VR display like CV1 or CV2 will have good enough resolution and support from P3D that I won't fly on monitor anymore. I already have Oculus DK2 but it's low resolution is hard to bear for everyday use, plus other software glitches.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11