Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

Avsim Subscription

Just something I was thinking about,  So ill throw it out there and see what people think

I think the Avsim site is fantastic,  with all aviation siming Information, product reviews,  expert and whacko opinions, up coming products, updates and a general all round Plane/Helicopter siming  information experience, With everything at a click of a button.  You wouldn't have to be a genius to know a site like this takes a lot of maintenance and running money to keep everything going rite. 

So why not have a monthly Membership subscription fee?   Maybe a 3 month or 6 month subscription or even a year subscription for the price of 9 months? 

It would keep the site even shiner and take the headache away from the site management who i'm sure try tirelessly to keep everything a float.

Standard member for free and Premium member a subscription fee.  Standard member can only post a certain amount of messages per month and same for Messages?  And of course Premium has unlimited posting.    The Donating thing is great and either way i will continue to support the site. 

Oh and another thing,  it would be a great way of Verifying a member. Something i didn't think of recently when a member of this site's authenticity was brought into question,  as that person Donated,  the staff would have the proper details of that member. 

I can see some advantages but it would be a shame that a financial commitment would price some people 'out of AVSIM'.  For example, I live on a miniscule disibility pension and, as great and valuable as AVSIM is as a FS resource, monthly net subscriptions however small, are out of my budget.

I will certainly donate in the near future when funds allow, but a more prescriptive subscription could be a problem for those living on low incomes.     Then again, perhaps it could be argued that an addon purchase could be sacrificed to pay for a monthly subscription.

In any event, personally I think it would be a shame to introduce a two tier system of 'standard' and 'premier' members.  A lot of life is divided up according to wealth and income, and it's nice that communities like this, usually aren't.

I sense a disturbance in the Force...

I have a gnawing suspicion, Poppet, that there might be some kind of hidden agenda in your "helpful suggestion" and it has to do with cementing your own bona fides, not anyone elses', and not out of concern for the financial well-being of Avsim.

In all things aviation, the price of admission is usually an interest in planes. The idea of not letting users contribute to the wealth of aviation knowledge would negatively affect this community. Avsim is currently run by donations and operates effectively as such, typically the slow downs only come when Tom accidentally pushes the wrong button!

If Avsim needs donations, those who can have and will donate to keep the community here.

Keep in mind that many developers use Avsim forums as their official support forum, by limiting posting abilities you are almost asking people to pay for support.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Keep in mind that many developers use Avsim forums as their official support forum, by limiting posting abilities you are almost asking people to pay for support.

And paying to provide support. Suppose I'd reached my monthly limit and couldn't help someone with a problem.

To the OP - there is a donation system which has been used by quite a few.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I live on a miniscule disibility pension and, as great and valuable as AVSIM is as a FS resource, monthly net subscriptions however small, are out of my budget.
Hello David,
Thank you for the reply.  I see what your saying,  I didn't think of it that way. 

I sense a disturbance in the Force...

Yes that's were i heard it........".luke i am your father"

I have a gnawing suspicion, Poppet, that there might be some kind of hidden agenda in your "helpful suggestion" and it has to do with cementing your own bona fides,

Great imagination, you should write science fiction. 

Yes I see your point too, the odds are stacking up against me,  point taken though.

And paying to provide support. Suppose I'd reached my monthly limit and couldn't help someone with a problem.

I'm still back peddling here :)  when you look at it that way your spot on. 

Elaine, I've read Tom's views on this subject over the past many, MANY years. If I recall correctly he once stated he'd pull the plug on AVSIM before allowing it to become subscription based, or words to that effect at least... :Whistle:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Good on you n4gix, that just about puts this topic to bed..  :lol: :lol:

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

Elaine, I've read Tom's views on this subject over the past many, MANY years. If I recall correctly he once stated he'd pull the plug on AVSIM before allowing it to become subscription based, or words to that effect at least...

Hello Fr Bill,   Thanks for the reply.

Oook then that just about wraps it up alright,   :blush:    "Walking briskly away" 

First, let me put any speculation regarding Elaine's location to rest. She is connecting from Ireland, and judging from her PayPal account, she's the real deal. Now, let's move on from that.

Elaine,

I appreciate the suggestion and the sentiment behind it. However, as Bill has pointed out, from day 1 of AVSIM's existence I have said that we will not charge, period, by any definition for access. We have said that about tiered membership, etc. As Bill has pointed out, if the membership allows us to fade away, then we will fade away. As for donations, we are 14 days away from the end of the year. Here are the donations to date:

2014-12-17_19-08-49.png

The Support Goal is what it actually costs, approximately, a year, to keep AVSIM running and healthy. By healthy, I mean bandwidth, putting away money for new hardware to replace our now 5 year old servers, consultants, software upgrades, maintenance contracts, etc. The Engineering Services Goal was an attempt to pay off the actual amount that we spent earlier this year when we had a RAID system failure.

As is obvious, none of the goals has been met despite the very generous donations of many many good folk this year, including you. Advertising revenue has been far less than the Support Donations and in the scheme of things has hardly counted toward achieving our overall goal of $36,000 for this year.

I am not bewailing the amount donated, nor am I holding my hand out begging. I won't do either. My philosophy for the last 18 years has been very simple; when the time comes that we can't keep the doors open, it will be because we have a community that has moved on and found their needs fulfilled elsewhere. That's okay.

Now, before everyone runs off with their hair on fire and screaming around the net that AVSIM is about to disappear, that could not be farther from the truth. Over the years, we have squirreled away "rainy day" money that we have been able to add to our savings to keep the doors open. That holds true unless a major system failure occurs; i.e., one of our servers dies. If that happens, all bets are off. However, as of today, we are able to assure everyone that we'll be around for a long time to come. And, just to repeat myself and shut down the anti-AVSIM goonies out there, no one on AVSIM staff, draws a salary, including me.

Bottom line; if the donations dry up, and we run out of reserves, then the message will be loud and clear. AVSIM is no longer a viable entity and we will go the way of the dodo.

So if I read correct, if at least 1/4 of the AVSIM community gives $1.00 you would be well on your way to your goal of $40,500.  Interestingly I thought there were more in donations than what you have presented here Tom.  

\Robert Hamlich/

So if I read correct, if at least 1/4 of the AVSIM community gives $1.00 you would be well on your way to your goal of $40,500.  Interestingly I thought there were more in donations than what you have presented here Tom.  

Just click on the Donate link at the top menu bar and as you know, I am sure, you will see a running total that is updated every time a donation is made. That system has been in place since just after the first of the year and all donations made this year have been accounted for.

As Bill has pointed out, if the membership allows us to fade away, then we will fade away.

Thank you for your detailed response. I hear and understand what you are saying.

Would be nice to see folks appreciating the site more by the odd donation.

Though I don't have much this thread has inspired me to give a lil something....Keep up the awesome work Tom.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Wow - I found the low amount donated quite shocking. I've not clicked on the "Donate" button since my donation, and didn't realise it kept a running tally. Only 249 people have donated this year - albeit their average donation is quite generous $28, but with the drop box starting at $5, surely most (but not all) could afford something like that.

249 from the whole AVSIM community seems rather pitiful.

Isn't that so little tangible thanks is shown to Tom, the Mods and the rest of the hardworking folk that keep the forum going a tad embarrassing for the community as a whole?

Or am I being too harsh?

Eugene