Sign in to follow this  
west5786

Aircraft looks vs Realism and Flight Model

Hello. There is a sale on Carenado aircraft as I speak and the deals are pretty dang good. I was just wondering if I would be pleased with a few purchases. I am currently building a sim pit, almost done, and really enjoy the realistic aspect of flight simulation. I own both the A2A Cessna 172 and the Aerosoft Twin Otter and find them extremely satisfying because of the realism and challenges provided by these in-depth aircraft. The A2A is truly amazing. I also plan on buying the Real Air Duke 2.0, Majestic Dash 8 as well as a few PMDG products somewhere down the road soon.

Considering that I enjoy these complex aircraft so much, I mostly like flying small general aviation aircraft VFR, but will advance beyond that as my knowledge progresses, do you guys think I would enjoy this list of Carenado aircraft; Cessna 185 bush, Cessna C208B EX HD, Cessna C337H Skymaster? I heard the Carenado G1000 isn't great and that is in the C208B, and it sounds as though Carenado kind of concentrates on beautiful but kind of simple and easy to start and fly aircraft. But I also hear that they make really good simple aircraft like the Cessna 185 with steam gauges.

I'm just the kind of person that likes to be able to press every button and flip every switch, and would prefer to have it actually do something. I also like it when an aircraft "punishes" you for messing something up or not flying it correctly, though it doesn't have to be real world perfect. Also looking for a decent flight model and systems modeling, especially fuel flow matching the books as much as possible.

Any thoughts on how these aircraft are with these preferences, or should I just stick with the brands and aircraft I have already mentioned earlier? P.S. I will probably get the 337 anyway because it is such a unique aircraft.

Hello. There is a sale on Carenado aircraft as I speak and the deals are pretty dang good. I was just wondering if I would be pleased with a few purchases. I am currently building a sim pit, almost done, and really enjoy the realistic aspect of flight simulation. I own both the A2A Cessna 172 and the Aerosoft Twin Otter and find them extremely satisfying because of the realism and challenges provided by these in-depth aircraft. The A2A is truly amazing. I also plan on buying the Real Air Duke 2.0, Majestic Dash 8 as well as a few PMDG products somewhere down the road soon.

Considering that I enjoy these complex aircraft so much, I mostly like flying small general aviation aircraft VFR, but will advance beyond that as my knowledge progresses, do you guys think I would enjoy this list of Carenado aircraft; Cessna 185 bush, Cessna C208B EX HD, Cessna C337H Skymaster? I heard the Carenado G1000 isn't great and that is in the C208B, and it sounds as though Carenado kind of concentrates on beautiful but kind of simple and easy to start and fly aircraft. But I also hear that they make really good simple aircraft like the Cessna 185 with steam gauges.

I'm just the kind of person that likes to be able to press every button and flip every switch, and would prefer to have it actually do something. I also like it when an aircraft "punishes" you for messing something up or not flying it correctly, though it doesn't have to be real world perfect. Also looking for a decent flight model and systems modeling, especially fuel flow matching the books as much as possible.

Any thoughts on how these aircraft are with these preferences, or should I just stick with the brands and aircraft I have already mentioned earlier? P.S. I will probably get the 337 anyway because it is such a unique aircraft.

There is already a very involved thread on this.

If you add an RXP GNS530 to the C337,  you'll have a really nice airplane.

Contact me via PM for a few updates to the C337, if you do get it..

Bert

I've got the Skymaster and the Grand Caravan.  I really like the Skymaster, but the Grand Caravan is -meh- in my book.  No doubt the G1000 is nirvana in a real aircraft, but I feel like I'm flying a spreadsheet in the Grand Caravan.  The G1000 is ill-proportioned and too monolithic for my tastes.  It's also a big performance killer on my low-end machine.

I wouldn't call either aircraft 'punishing' if you push them past their limitations.  In fact, I jump into the 337 when I want to enjoy the scenery and not concern myself with checklists, procedures and red lines.  

If your preference is realism, make a beeline for the Majestic Q400.  Every switch and button does what it's supposed to do and if you don't fly it by the numbers you most definitely WILL be punished.  I bought it not too long after it was released and I am still challenged by it almost every time I fly.

Richard P. Kelly

Thank you Bert. I do believe I recognize your name from the flight sim community so I will be sure to contact you if/when I pick up the 337.

Thanks for the feed back. I really like the 208 in general and just hated the FSX version. I don't think even half the switches or knobs works. As much as it saddens me I think I will have to pass on the 208. I'm hoping that because the 337 doesn't seem like a hugely complex aircraft, even though it is a "complex" aircraft, that most of the cockpit will be interactive. At the very least my father could fly it so he doesn't burn up the engine in my A2A 172. I'm also looking at the 185 which is non-HD, do you know how much of a difference I would notice regarding HD vs non-HD? 

Thank you. It was interesting, but not quite what I was looking for. And was locked when I got to it. Thanks again for the heads up.