Sign in to follow this  
Kosty

FSX Steam release pricing

Hi,

today I was shopping in one of my local supermarkets (Germany) and in the games section I saw several boxed versions of FSX Professional Edition on sale for 15 Euro.

I only own FSX standard version without Acceleration so I'm thinking of buying it on Steam again.

So I guess...

1. the price on Steam should be 15 Euro or less. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to buy it on Steam when You still can get it for 15Euro in the local supermarket. (Also several other electronics stores and retailers in Germany still have the boxed version of FSX Prof.Ed.  on display and on sale.)

2. As long as there are boxed versions on sale and in circulation M$ will have to keep their activation servers running.

Just my 0,02€

Had a FSX reactivation just this week via MS servers and it went OK.

The Acceleration pack is another 15 EUR, and the combo of FSX Prof and Accpack sells as FSX Gold. The price used to be 30 EUR.

FSX Gold is what the Steam edition of FSX is based on.

According to today released new edition of PC Pilot Steam price of FSX will be about £20, download size about 11GB, Steam version will include all SP and Acceleration, multiplayer will be restored. Existing of boxed and Steam version is possible, but Dovetail not guaranteed that there will bo no problems. Many addons should be able to install on Steam edition, but not all of them...

Had a FSX reactivation just this week via MS servers and it went OK.

The Acceleration pack is another 15 EUR, and the combo of FSX Prof and Accpack sells as FSX Gold. The price used to be 30 EUR.

FSX Gold is what the Steam edition of FSX is based on.

Is FSX Professional in Europe the equivalent of FSX Deluxe elsewhere?  (Deluxe+Acc=Gold)

2. As long as there are boxed versions on sale and in circulation Microsoft will have to keep their activation servers running.

FSX is far from the only product that uses Microsoft's product activation system. Don't think one needs to worry about those shutting down any time soon.

Flight Simulator X Gold edition is what you want to look for when buying the boxed retail disks. It's FSX Deluxe + Acceleration Pack all in one. That's what I have but my disks are getting a bit dodgy even though they aren't scratched at all, must be all those re-installs I guess. I'll get the Steam version sooner or later.

Hey addman,

Your discs are probably okay.  The problem is with the way the data is encoded; the format conflicts with various other disc creation software.  I got around this problem by going into Safe mode and copying the discs to a hard drive and installing from there.  I have Gold and had to copy both Deluxe discs to a single folder and Acceleration to another.  No problems installing or activating.

Jim F.