Sign in to follow this  
Guest B1900 Mech

Best path to become a commercial pilot?

Guest Jason7070

Hi, I am 14, and I have wanted to become a Commercial pilot since i was 8, and now i am taking it really seriously by joining my local air cadets and taking flying lessons(1hour 35 minutes so far).I would really appreciate it if anyone preferebly someone that knows a lot about the commercial aviation industry to give me some idea of a good path to take or any steps to take, but i will really appreciate any feedback on this matter and value it a lot.THANKSJason.I

Talk to your own istructor. He also probably wants to become an airline pilot. Then talk to other pilots. Then read some aviation magazines - this topic often returns. The fact is that you will need many hundred of hours flying experince, many more years before you will be even be able to earn a first nickel as a pilot. For now concentrate on your ratings - you will need plenty of $$ for that.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest C172pilot

Hey Jason. Glad to see youve started your training... Training is by far the most important aspect to your future in aviation.. YOU learn from a bad school, the odds of you persueing a future is decreaed.. For example: you get great training, lots of hours and so on.. You're gonna love it.. Thats why I picked American Flyers(www.americanflyers.net) I suggest you take a look at them.. They may be a little bit more expensive, BUT they are AMAZING... They'll go to any lenth to make sure you are 100% clear on w/e your problem is.I would suggest going to your local airport and going to each flight school and seeing what they offer. whichever one you feel best about, go there and sign up. Money is a big factor, but think, this is your passion, your love, and sooner or later.. YOUR LIFE CAREER! Get the best training you canI'd love to help you find the best school for you.so send me a line if ya like @ born2fly86@aol.comBest of luck

Guest Raptors4590

I would totally agree with that, your training is the most important part of realizing your dream. If you dont plan on going through the military you need to go to a college (preferrably a 4-year university) that has a flight program. I also would love to help you if you need itHawker03@siu.eduSee you in the friendly skies and dont worry, hours rack up quickly...;-)

hours and training...The age when airlines hired kids right out of school and paid their training for them is over, possibly for at least a decade or more.So you will enter the jobmarket with no experience on type while competing with pilots far senior than you who also want the job and may well be willing to accept the same pay (or almost) that the airline would offer you.At the very least get your PPL, IFR, multi, complex, and commercial ratings, maybe a 737 type rating (or other airliner type rating) as well (there are schools offering the course, though it is expensive).Fly as an instructor or business charter pilot, cargo pilot, whatever you can get to get hours logged doing it for money.Don't go to the military and expect to be handed a flying job just because you want to be an airline pilot.Those days too are over (and happily so). The armed forces want dedicated people, people who aren't going to jump ship for a cosy commercial job the moment they can.There's also less flying jobs than ever in the armed forces, so your chances of actually landing one of them are smaller than ever.And if you do get a job as a pilot in the military, what are you planning to do when it's time to go to combat? Many of the hotshots who join up only to get a ticket punched for the airlines are not proper material for combat duty... They're wasting taxpayer money for personal goals.

Guest MeltedPixel

"The age when airlines hired kids right out of school and paid their training for them is over, possibly for at least a decade or more." Not a bad deal! You'll be 24 by then, I'll be 23.I want to eventually fly B737-700s for any airline that will hire me. Preferably southwest, so I can sing the announcments :). I've been an aviation freak all my life. First drawing was a plane.When people asked me what I wanted to be when I was three, I responded with "airpwane piwot!".We went to DFW once a week to go plane spotting when I was 3. Threw a heck of a temper tantrum when we had to leave. Yeah, you get the idea :).