Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

Has anyone tried the new multiplayer? What is it like?

Functional so far. I've got a session up right now (called Fly "Together!"). 16 player limit and it's already full. Yikes.

Edit: I seem to be getting some lag spikes. My FPS are fine, but my sim keeps having micro-freezes. Seems to only happen in multiplayer so far.

Brandon Filer

Stepping away from the actual third party aircraft installation, how about installing GEX, UTX, Traffic, REX, etc. on the FSX Steam Edition? I know we are early in the game but I'm curious as to whether anyone has tried that out yet. I picked up my copy as soon as it went on sale but I'm stuck at work as I assume many of us in the U.S. are, so I can't give this a shot until later.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Will FSX finally utilize all 4 cores thats the only thing holding me back with this game.

No

Can old versions of fsx connect to it directly at the same time do you know?

According to the manual, no.

Brandon Filer

I would see it as highly improbable. One used Gamespy one uses steam.

Heard from an administrator at Boston Virtual ATC that you can connect to Steam's multiplayer only via FSX:SE.

He also told me that the multiplayer functionality of connecting to independent servers (Digital Theme Park, Boston Virtual ATC, etc) has been removed. I'm still trying to find out if IVAO and VATSIM work with FSX:SE. Anybody try these yet?

Edit: Had this response from "Sam," an Admin/Developer at Steam, relative to connectivity to online flightsim communities other than Steam's own multiplayer:

"Our intention is to actively support existing independent FSX community initiatives because they have kept the community alive for a significant period of time. Whether it is possible or not, I can't say for certain, but if we find any situations where the Steam Edition is preventing involvement in these connected communities we'll investigate as thoroughly as possible."

The intention certainly sounds good, and hopefully will be backed up by returning this functionality to the sim.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Well this is my third time buying FSX. First time was the disc, then I installed it in two broken new laptops and my serial expired. Then bought it on Microsoft Games for Windows Live. And now Steam which is probably the best option to buy games right now.

Heard from an administrator at Boston Virtual ATC that you can connect to Steam's multiplayer only via FSX:SE.

He also told me that the multiplayer functionality of connecting to independent servers (Digital Theme Park, Boston Virtual ATC, etc) has been removed. I'm still trying to find out if IVAO and VATSIM work with FSX:SE. Anybody try these yet?

Edit: Had this response from "Sam," an Admin/Developer at Steam, relative to connectivity to online flightsim communities other than Steam's own multiplayer:

"Our intention is to actively support existing independent FSX community initiatives because they have kept the community alive for a significant period of time. Whether it is possible or not, I can't say for certain, but if we find any situations where the Steam Edition is preventing involvement in these connected communities we'll investigate as thoroughly as possible."

The intention certainly sounds good, and hopefully will be backed up by returning this functionality to the sim.

Vpilot works with FSX:SE.

Vpilot works with FSX:SE.

That's good news for VATSIM fliers.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Sorry, but I don't understand. So, for years everyone said FSX was the worst product  MS built . Now, it's online and it's the best we've seen. LoL.

So, what if Steam decides to bring FS 2002, are we all moving there as, well? LoL

Actually with Steam sales.. a lot of Steam users buy games at ridiculously low prices and don't install

Very true. 

Can't go wrong with 5 Euro. 

Would be great if they can push out the compatible Ad On's pretty fast,  hoping for a non tooth pulling experience

You can install Orbx products directly into FSX:SE as long as it is installed after the original FSX. Dovetail uses the exact same Windows Registry key for the root FSX folder location, so all our addons install fine.

Caveat: you will need to use Steve's DX10 Fixer to resolve the FTX Global lights showing up as black squares. Also we'll need to release a re-signed version of our ObjectFlow.dll library, but other than that our initial tests suggest all our stuff will work fine.

Of course if you have legacy FSX also installed on the same PC, I can't speak to that situation since I've only tested on a virgin PC with a virgin FSX:SE install.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Wow, €5. I expected the the price of €20, which would be way too much for me considering the age and changes of this game, but never expected them to give 80% off right of the bat.

I'm actually considering buying it now just to have the license.

My initial tests of Steam in-home streaming with fsx has proven successful. Only problem is sending the joystick inputs which can be fixed by having someone write a program to send the inputs over the network(think Leonardo maddog's shared cockpit sorta thing)