Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

This is so great. NOW we have 3 versions of FSX.

MS is a money making machine.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Exactly, early reports of steams fsx running better than DVDs one is encouraging to long term users.

From the DEVs below, I figure 5 bucks is a steal as they claim to say they have a Future.

Multicore Support?
All i want to know is this version optimised, or is it the same as the original retail version i have?

DTG_Admin  [developer] Dec 18 @ 1:46pm 
Not right now. Will there be a future? Yes. Right now however we want to focus on what the Steam Edition is rather than where it's going as those details are still very much in discussion.

- Sam

I wouldn't read anything into that , its the PMDG standard response, harsh words followed by a cone of silence  :rolleyes:

You are so right with that statement Zoran. If I wanted to extend the shelf life of my products, I would not state that it will be many months before they look at it. There is no legal issues with changing the installers and dll and guage files, but it will take many months or not at all.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

You actually can!

I used my Saitek Yoke to drive a while back. It works, but of course, isn't that realistic at all.

I also used my Saitek pedals to accelerate and brake. It worked!

Great Im going to ask the new missus for another 5er

ZORAN

Good for you Jim--Quit being a negative Nancy and let others enjoy the most interesting thing that has happened in the Sim community in a while.

Thanks for taking my quote out of context!! Please note the very first word of that snip and then please go back and read my ENTIRE post! Hopefully you'll notice the word "My" and maybe you'll also notice the SE for the "community" praise paragraph.

a much more expensive platform that wont be promoted to the masses.

As it should be because it was never meant to be and that's right from LM themselves from 2 different interviews.

I have to say, I am never going back to old FSX. I am doing things on DX9 with Vector, Global, Mesh, and LC that I could never have done in FSX. I suspect it is the "Fix to flush all levels of detail in terrain cache" and the "Increased Vertex and Index Buffers and the number of buffers" but I am certain, that side by side, this version runs faster, more stable, and is a great value to all for $4.99. Although there are some simconnect and installer updates that will need to be done by developers, I see this as my new platform until something other than X-Plane with 64bit comes out. Trust me bud, just try it now that its here.

This pretty much sums it up for me too.

It seems the happiness and positivity of some in the community is highly irritating to some mean spirited people around here, but that's their problem  :P 

Having installed FSX:SE, along with FTX Global, Vector, OpenLC EU, REX, OpusFSI, A2A Cherokee, A2A C182, 6 Ala/nado aircraft, Denmark X scenery, and 8 Vidan Danish Airfields, I am now in the process of uninstalling my Boxed FSX version.   I won't be going back to it.  For whatever reason (does the reason really matter?), FSX:SE is running fantasticly better and smoother on my average joe rig, than the boxed version has.

In a like for like scenario, with identical settings, including Autogen and Complexity at Dense, with quite heavy Opus weather, a little AI, and in Vidan's Aarhus city and airport sceneries, I have an average 22 FPS with FSX boxed, and 33 with FSX:SE  (Both locked at 35 FPS with External limiter; antilag).

If that's a placebo or psychological effect, bring it on! :smile:

By now, the only real problem that i´m seeing in here is with "uninstallers". For example:

- I installed plane1 in FSX MS

- I installed plane1 again but now in FSX SE

- If i try to uninstall plane1 from FSX MS thru windows control panel i will not succeed because it´s pointing now to FSX SE plane1.

For that we will have to search the uninstall.exe relative to plane1 in FSX MS by hand. The same with planes installed in P3D using migration tool.

Flavio Cardoso - P3Dv4.5 HF3

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

1,506  FSX-SE Simmers online and In-Game right now.

Does Steam's MP have the potential to be something like VATSIM? At least in an UNICOM fashion, since you can't have separate frequencies and what not. Just me thinking out loud, I guess. Would be awesome to always have a full server when flying online.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Just finished my 5hour install, so far only problem is controller issues. Plane having problems responding to controller inputs.

Will reset assignments and try again tomorrow

Does Steam's MP have the potential to be something like VATSIM? At least in an UNICOM fashion, since you can't have separate frequencies and what not. Just me thinking out loud, I guess. Would be awesome to always have a full server when flying online.

It's the same as the crappy GameSpy multiplayer. So no.

Another test;

- FSUIPC ; as previously reported by n4gix and others;  negative. Doesn't work.

Nope.   That's exactly what I did.  As previously reported, it doesn't work and FSX-SE crashes because FSUIPC is not (yet) interfacing with this sim's Simconnect

In other news;-

REX4 Texture Direct - REX is able to point manually at FSX-SE's intallation and worked perfectly, copying all the new textures in to FSX-SE. 

David, I was refering to the case when FSUIPC4 is fixed with regard to the simconnect issue and when someone has a 'dual install' of FSX and FSX-CE where bthe FSX-CE install may not be updated by the FSUIPC4 full install version. However, thinking about that, I THINK the installer gives you the choice of where to extract the files.

In any case, I'm sure Pete will resolved any issues.

Pail

Wide-5.jpg

Just started FSX-SE and it is being updated. First update since release. Cannot find info on what was updated though

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

FSdreamteam facebook

"I'm happy to report that ALL installers from FSDT have been updated to support FSX Steam Edition, both when installed alone, and in combination with an existing FSX installation.

There's no reactivation involved, just re-download all the installers you need from our site."

ZORAN

Purchased/downloaded in 25 minutes. Flew for 1+- hr, so far. Initial pros/cons:

Pros:

1. The changelog may seem like only a little was done, but it does seem to perform somewhat better on my machine, as in higher frames. We have most of these tweaks already, but the cfg file looks somewhat different to the trained eye. The "HIGHMEMFIX=1" tweak, for example, is implemented by default somehow, but the entry is not present in the cfg, suggesting that they did more than just tweak it the way we users do, and perhaps explaining the mild performance gain.

Noteworthy: This is with only a few addons, since installing some addons is slightly different now. This may change after clamping it down with a few busy scenery packages.

2. FSX IS ALIVE! A developer with current staff is now going to oversee this product, meaning "hold on to your butts!" We ride again, with fully-functional integrated and seemingly stable MP connectivity.

3. Many installers of 3rd-party addons will allow you to navigate to the new directory during install for FSX-SE. You can keep your planes and stuff!

4. It's 5 bucks. You really can't miss. It's not buying your old FSX again, it's investing in a company, and showing support to the community, and hell, it's sending the message that we sim folk are quite alive and well, and ready to embrace a next-generation of flight simulation. The power is in our hands right now, I did my part to support!

5. Still just as open-source as ever. Just a slightly different file structure. You can add your own tweaks, if you need/want to, but try it before you go messing with it.

Cons:

1. Not all 3rd party addons are 100% compatible yet, but only because of the aforementioned install procedure needed, at least as I've noticed. These can include FTX Global, PMDGs stuff (maybe if I uninstall from Vanilla FSX first) but I don't know yet. Lots of sub-folders are created with PMDG products, and they don't all land in the same structure/order as in FSX. Possibly, but IDK yet.

2. D/L only. I like having the disks, just incase. But we are putting a lot of faith in the newfangled interwebs nowadays, we'll probably fare just fine without them.

Conclusion:

It was 5 bucks, and a half-hour D/L. It's a no-brainer, really. Seamless install procedure. Co-exists with FSX. Why not?

See you up there.