Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

David,

That's fair comment, but he is also reluctant to try it in case he ends up wasting his money. That's a reasonable excuse as far as I am concerned, and why he is trying to ascertain whether apparent performance improvements with the Steam Edition are significant enough to warrant a purchase.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Ok, for me while PC is probably down towards the lower end of the spectrum having used SE for a couple of days, it is a huge improvement on both FSX (admittedly without the service packs) and P3d v1. 30% increase in FPS and much more stable across the board.

There may not be such an improved performance on higher spec machines huge improvement for me, as in something better than FS9 is actually usable.

If £3.99 is too much for someone to gamble on after reading the change log then this is definitly the wrong hobby for them.

And the price has already more than doubled.

The introductory price was really about Dovetail asking the community if FSX-SE is worth continuing with, the response to this offering may well influence how much effort Dovetail put in to further improvements.

Apparently some feel that even at £3.99 that Dovetail are wasteing their time.

Last time I've tried the AffinityMask tweak in FSX:A, it didn't make any difference at all. Now it seems to give me a slight boost in FSX:SE. Weird. A benefit of the VS2013 compilation?

The internal framerate limiter seems to be a bit more sluggish than in FSX:A, but I doubt that this is a due to the recompile.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Yes, you are far too late for the $5 sale...

...but, it will likely go on sale again, someday.

If you look at the change log and still cannot see the huge improvements that have been made, then nothing any of us could say will affect you're decision making either.

IMO that´s a huge, huge overstatement!

Did they rewrite the code, 64 bit, etc.?

I´m totally baffled by all this insane hoopla just because Steam bought The Hog, and now everybody think it´s a new flightsim, get real, please.

David, I find it interesting for someone who claims to have just started even using FSX after an 8 year absence, last having used FS9, comes out of nowhere, makes 80 posts in a little under two weeks, now an expert on the needs of others, can make such educated qualitative performance evaluations relative to different versions, is handing out advice on tweaking, etc.  If we are to believe your own words about your limited history of using FSX, then frankly, you don't have the experience to assail the logic of my decision making regarding whether I should purchase SE or not.   Interesting signature line by the way.

My point is that whether some alternate version of FSX costs $5 or $25, starting over anew, is a big deal.  And the LAST thing I would do is attempt a side-by-side installation of FSX with FSX-SE--sounds like a formula for disaster.

On your last point, I fully agree! There is absolutely no point in anyone having a side-by-side installation. The only reason I will be doing that on my own sim computer is so I can test the installers I create so that such cases will be supported.

The only reason I encouraged folks to buy a Steam license during the sale was one of economics. It's not like there's a "expiration date" on one's purchase after all! Its not a piece of raw meat that's going to spoil... :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Surely, skepticism is good if it's backed up by an empirical approach; ie.. trying out and experiencing the thing that you're trying to build a case/opinion on?

Without trying it, your skepticism just has no logical base at all.

Your post tempts me to launch into a rant about how common it is for people to misread others' posts and then bash the poster for having an opinion different than their own.

KingGhidorah was clearly saying that in reading posts from FSX:SE adopters he has not seen evidence of huge improvements. He was not suggesting that this observation is based on personal experience. So your assertion that his thoughts on FSX:SE are illogical is based on nothing.

I really wish people would cool their jets about all of this. The same kind of knee-jerk accusations were all too common when MS Flight was released. People were seen as either fanbois or nihilists, and it seems to me that these kinds of ridiculous divisions are developing once again.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

I agree with the last post. It's time to put this one to bed anyway, since the 80% off sale expired several days ago anyway... B)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator