Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

Wow, I am happy they've worked on improving FSX.  I wonder if it was something MS couldn't or wouldn't fix?  Nice to see the changes made to the core of the sim.  

MS could easily have fixed the bugs, but they chose not to since they are MS and don't care about catering to past customers. There's no revenue in fixing old software. ACES were allready working on FS11 when SP2 was released and probably had focus elsewhere.

But hey, even in this forum today you hear people say that FSX has no bugs and it runs like clockwork on their computer, so why would MS care. FSX is perfect, isn't it?

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Really curious on the "recompiled in VS 2013" ... that can only be accomplished with source code and Dovetail's statement indicated they do NOT have the rights to the source code?  Confused?  I'm not sure what it is with Flight Sim publishers and content providers, but clarity is certainly NOT their strong point ... I'm assuming on purpose.

Anyway, with that said, I'm glad to see this bringing out some new flight simmers, I hope they stay for the long game and more importantly discover 3rd party support.

Cheers, Rob. 

My thoughts exactly Rob by dovetail bringing fsx to steam it has brought new blood future flight simmers to are community. 

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Interesting... 80% of people buying but not installing :lol: I think that´s the first time i see people buying a "game" -- sorry -- and goes direct to the shelf. This air simmers are strange guys :P

They're buying FSX insurance.  I only ever had the FSX Deluxe Edition, so never had Acceleration.  Now...with the Gold...I can/do.

ASN does not work so far. Have simconnect installed, and entry in dll.xml, but crashes fsx-se

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Copy-pasted some comments from FSX:SE steam page. Now I'm going to purchase it, because as far as I can see, eventually I will move to SE in a blink of an eye when all developers of mandatory addons I'm using release Steam Edition compatible installers.

"This Steam edition is a GAME CHANGER! I have played well over 200 hours on the FSX original DVD version from Microsoft and could only run the game at Medium graphic settings in order to get 50FPS ish. Anything above medium would cause the game to crash. 

I now run this at almost ultra everything including AA max and I'm getting over 60FPS at all times. It's truly amazing what they have done to optoimize this and they are not getting enough credit!"

---

"It's a great version of FSX. The game is now optimized to the point where if you have a decent rig you will be able to max out the settings and still maintain a butter smooth 60fps, rather than 20fps even on medium. They've added some new planes, including the F/A-18 Super Hornet with a carrier. There are also new missions for you to take on."

---

"Much more stable than the original FSX. Deleted my old FSX for this AWESOME version!

The nostalgia hits me hard lol. So far all my addons are compatible and tweaking some minor things for the best performance but other than that. It's running like a dream at 60FPS on my system!

My Specs:
Using an X52 Pro Flight HOTAS
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
250GB 840 EVO SSD
8GB RAM @ 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E @ 1920x1080x32"

-------

"Loads of fun to fly with a friend. Performs better than the original FSX. 12/10 would fly again."

---------

Well, better performed and more stable good old FSX, with good multiplayer is enough for me to purchase it, especially for 5e! Go for it!

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Well, better performed and more stable good old FSX, with good multiplayer is enough for me to purchase it, especially for 5e! Go for it!

Same here. With dx10 fixer it will be even better.

Will not buy it until all addons work with Steam FSX Edition.

So you will wait till it is $40, when now you can get it for $5 ? You can get it now and use later.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

That's about been played out dont ya think!

_Fullscreen mode now has Aero enabled. No more tearing and excellent performance

This could be a biggie for ATI card users, who have to use the 'force' fix in the fsx.cfg - that comes with quite a performance cost.   If the 'force' fix can be taken out of the cfg, and there is no tearing because the Aero has been fixed, this would be a major performance boost for ATI users.

So you will wait till it is $40, when now you can get it for $5 ? You can get it now and use later.

Exactly!

I seem to have to do a re-install of FSX probably a couple of times a year so it makes sense to buy this one and have it in hand until the next re-install, when I'll give it a go. And if it doesn't work well I think I can just about stand the £3.99.......

And in the meantime they'll hopefully get the add-ons sorted. I see Orbx have started on this already.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

Same here. With dx10 fixer it will be even better.

If it's really more stable, no OOMs, better performance, then we absolutely don't need to fiddle with DX10, don't we? :)

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I bought it to see stability and performance benefits, but I can´t set Nvidia dedicated graphics card on my laptop, it just offers only Intel. All tested. At first, it took nvidia, but then I ran the FSX box version(which works normal to me) and since then, Nvidia software to switch graphics sees only the box installation, no matter what I run, keeping Steam edition on Intel only. So some conflict is there. Anyone has some tweak to run both on Nvidia?

If it's really more stable, no OOMs, better performance, then we absolutely don't need to fiddle with DX10, don't we? :)

DX10 is not just about performance, it is also, well for me, it is eye candy

Really curious on the "recompiled in VS 2013" ... that can only be accomplished with source code and Dovetail's statement indicated they do NOT have the rights to the source code?  Confused?  I'm not sure what it is with Flight Sim publishers and content providers, but clarity is certainly NOT their strong point ... I'm assuming on purpose.

Anyway, with that said, I'm glad to see this bringing out some new flight simmers, I hope they stay for the long game and more importantly discover 3rd party support.

I'm pretty sure they do have access to the source code (else they would not even be able to refactor the multiplayer and fix all those bugs), it's just that Microsoft placed a restriction on how much they can interfere with it.

I'm wondering, do you know if Lockheed Martin have updated Prepar3D to VS2013 as well if it's supposed to bring better performance?

Yes we do.  If steam gives us another 20% correction on FPS and OOMS we will move the sliders right again, Boom ! back to square 1 and thats where the fixer steps back in in again

ZORAN

I bought it to see stability and performance benefits, but I can´t set Nvidia dedicated graphics card on my laptop, it just offers only Intel. All tested. At first, it took nvidia, but then I ran the FSX box version(which works normal to me) and since then, Nvidia software to switch graphics sees only the box installation, no matter what I run, keeping Steam edition on Intel only. So some conflict is there. Anyone has some tweak to run both on Nvidia?

Disable Intel Integrated Graphics in your BIOS.