Sign in to follow this  
brucek

GNS 430W/530W questions

I'm wondering how to manage the new GNS 430/530W GPS in the 10.30+ versions that support it. Does the new GNS only appear if the author/designer of an aircraft includes it? Or is it configurable / installable within XPX for any aircraft (such a the Reality XP product for FSX)?

I read on-line today that the stock B58 Baron was one aircraft that has the new GNS so I tried that and found the GNS530, which I found I could enter a flight plan if I was careful with the mouse. But with the Carenado C337, also advertised to come with the GNS430, I found the entry of a flight plan impossible with the mouse manipulation of the large/small left knob. So I wondered if I had to install something myself to get the working GNS430..

I have used to GNS 430/530 in RL insrtrument flying and am looking forward to getting t to work in XPX.

Thanks, Bruce.

The clickspots in XP aren't great... Even with the new manipulators I've found even those spots to be difficult to hit, especially when using track ir

I have to pause if doing serious IFR flying online as it can be tough to make FPL changes off autopilot. (I have a stick so I have to take my hand off it and use mouse... I wonder if life would be easier with a yoke)

As for the new GNS's, try Carenado C206 - it's got a 530 which works ok.

Oh finally, some of the planes have 2d popups, click on the face of the 430/530 to pop it up

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Or you can be lazy and program your flightplan into an .fms file from an external planner (I use FS Commander or Plan-G) and load it into either the 430 or 530.

Which is fine but then you run into the same issues I described when you want to modify it en route.  Note:  This is more when flying online... ATC might give you a short cut etc...

Unless you can modify it in another program?  (Isn't FS Commander and Plan G for FSX anyway?)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Which is fine but then you run into the same issues I described when you want to modify it en route.  Note:  This is more when flying online... ATC might give you a short cut etc...

Unless you can modify it in another program?  (Isn't FS Commander and Plan G for FSX anyway?)

Once ATC takes me away from my flightplan, I use the heading and/or VOR/NDBs to control the aircraft.  Usually once they send you away from your plan, they will throw many other heading changes at you, and you can spend a lot of time re-programming the GPS, only to have it changed yet again.  I realize that is not so in real life with the fancy FMCs.

FS Commander was intended for FSX, but it does export flightplans in .fmc format if you like and I find it a bit handier than some others because it includes DPs and STARs in it's database which can be visualized on the map before choosing one for your plan.  Of course you can use charts if you have them and manually program your fixes.

Plan-G works with either FSX or X-Plane.  In the settings menu, you tell it whether to take information from FSUIPC (from FSX) or from XPUIPC (from X-Plane), so you can use it as a moving map while you fly with either sim.  It also exports .fmc plans and reads the X-Plane database for its display.  AND, it's freeware!

Ahh thanks!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Thanks everyone, for your good advice on entering a flight-plan...

I'm also wondering how to get the GNS 430/530 to appear in an aircraft... is it always available or any aircraft as a 2D pop-up, as is the x-FMC by pressing F9.. (can't see it in the pull-down menus) , or does it need to be programmed into the aircraft by the developer? I understand that to see it imbedded into a 3D panel would need to be programmed by the developer... but wondering if a 2D version is always available?

Thanks again, some good replies... Bruce.

.. but wondering if a 2D version is always available?

It is available if you open the plane with the planemaker. There you can configure the plane to use the new GNS 430. Then the 3D GPS Display might only show you the com frequencies, but with a click on the Display you get the real 2D Pop Up.