Sign in to follow this  
Spensa

NGX wont let me install to steam version

I beg your pardon, don't you have something a bit more constructive to do? I can see the reason you get into showdowns with people.

Hi Ivan,

My post says it all, the fellow refused to use his name and the whole thread became quite suspicious to me.  In the end I I refused to help with his PMDG issue because he would not follow the rules.  You can read my post's and you will see that I am more than helpful.

All the best, and Merry Christmas to you.

Robert

It would still be nice to figure out why my NGX, won't install to a specified directory in the installer.

Installers look for a specific path and registry entry on your PC.  Without the exact information the installer will fail and the result; in this case the NGX, is a lack of clickable or black objects.

You will have to wait until the licensing issues are arranged much like PMDG for P3D and you eventually have an installer that will work with FSXS.

\Robert Hamlich/

Hi Ivan,

My post says it all, the fellow refused to use his name and the whole thread became quite suspicious to me.  In the end I I refused to help with his PMDG issue because he would not follow the rules.  You can read my post's and you will see that I am more than helpfully

Hi Robert

I understand that you have good grounds for greviences. However, two of my posts have been highlighted as non compliant and despite my full name being clearly advertised. Not really into all the fancy stuff at the bottom of the post ( everyone to there own thing I guess, old saying of mine, I'll leave it to the girls to look pretty). I filled in the main page from the link below, and thought I was all done:-

The following rules must be followed by anyone choosing to post in the PMDG forum.1) ALL USERS MUST SIGN THEIR FULL NAME TO POSTS. Failure to adhere to this policy will result in your post being deleted without comment or followup by the forum moderators. To make your life easy- we recommend setting up a forum signature by following these simple instructions: http://forum.avsim.n...area=signature2)

No worries

Have a great Xmas and all the best for the New Year.

The following rules must be followed by anyone choosing to post in the PMDG forum.1) ALL USERS MUST SIGN THEIR FULL NAME TO POSTS. Failure to adhere to this policy will result in your post being deleted without comment or followup by the forum moderators. To make your life easy- we recommend setting up a forum signature by following these simple instructions: http://forum.avsim.n...area=signature2)

Think this is  a link that your referring to since the one you provided takes to another thread

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458101-signing-posts-in-this-forum-an-overview-for-enforcement/

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I bought the Steam version and found without tweaking it runs a lot smoother than the physical copy I have. 

When will we finally understand that all Microsoft wanted to do in the end was make the Flight franchise into an Arcade. Most of the members on this forum should be insulted by the logic that our beloved FSX was turned into a Nintendo Wii concept.

So, by FSX being released on Steam it has turned into an arcade or Nintendo concept? Don't follow that logic at all. The only thing that has changed are a few bug fixes and a new way to purchase FSX, it's still basically the same FSX and it's not an arcade game now just because you can download it.

Why worry about how others are using their sim and just enjoy using yours the way you want?

Sorry, but your while post sounds like you have a lot of pent up anger.

Jim Burke

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So, by FSX being released on Steam it has turned into an arcade or Nintendo concept? Don't follow that logic at all. The only thing that has changed are a few bug fixes and a new way to purchase FSX, it's still basically the same FSX and it's not an arcade game now just because you can download it.

Why worry about how others are using their sim and just enjoy using yours the way you want?

Sorry, but your while post sounds like you have a lot of pent up anger.

Jim Burke

You misunderstand me. 

Yes I do believe the flight franchise was being converted into an arcade. Towards the end it was quite apparent. What will Dovetail do? hopefully fix it more than what they have. Which in my opinion is already a lot more than all the slack that was left on the table with Microsoft.

I worry about how others use the sim because it is this community much like you that have made it special. If all I could fly was simplified versions of the 737 in FSX I would've retired it a long time ago. The difference is that we have a community that thrives in improving and adding more and more to it.

The bottom line. I don't see that the simulator from a descendant of Microsoft is going to survive. I believe the community is going to settle in Lockheed, X-Plane and some day perhaps Outerra.

Am I angry? Yes a bit. Because Microsoft instead of embracing the community of developers and reading into what most of the users where buying came up with a very stupid logic of what should have been next.  

But I do see how my previous post seemed to be directed towards dovetail. Sorry, but I do not see a rebirth for FSX in it. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

I actually got the NGX to install within FSX-SE.  However, I had previously installed the retail version, installed the NGX, activated it, then uninstalled everything and installed FSX-SE and then reinstalled the NGX under it.  I'm not sure if this makes a difference.  I did not get the activation request when I reinstalled the NGX, so presumably it picked up the previous activation from the earlier install?

However, now something is in a very funky state.  It seemed to briefly work last night, then I tried to update everything to SP2.  Now, when I launch FSX-SE, load up the NGX, but when the sim starts up, it doesn't go through its usual 20-countdown initialization sequence.  All of the panels then fail to initialize.  Of course, the plane is unflyable as a result.

I know FSX-SE isn't officially supported by PMDG, so I don't know if it would be advisable to file a ticket on this yet.  I am happy to do so if it would be the right thing to do at this time.  On the other hand, I can certainly wait until updated installers and such are available for FSX-SE, if those would potentially fix the issue.

This is a secondary test rig, so it does not affect my primary NGX installation on my main rig.  Just wanted to start trying out FSX-SE without affecting my main FSX installation yet, until all the issues get sorted out.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Our products do not support the Steam version (nor do they claim to) - it is unclear whether we'll be able to or not right now. It is not 100% the same thing as retail FSX is and there are differences that would need to be accounted for in our code as well as business/legal related issues that would need to be resolved.

Patience is a virtue. Guess I will have to wait awhile then, since I exclusively fly PMDG aircraft.

Al Nel

CEO Platinum Airways

Hi Ivan,

My post says it all, the fellow refused to use his name and the whole thread became quite suspicious to me.  In the end I I refused to help with his PMDG issue because he would not follow the rules.  You can read my post's and you will see that I am more than helpful.

All the best, and Merry Christmas to you.

Robert

Installers look for a specific path and registry entry on your PC.  Without the exact information the installer will fail and the result; in this case the NGX, is a lack of clickable or black objects.

You will have to wait until the licensing issues are arranged much like PMDG for P3D and you eventually have an installer that will work with FSXS.

It is very nice to see you are a very helpful gentleman, but please avoid unecessary passive-agressive comments.

However, now something is in a very funky state.  It seemed to briefly work last night, then I tried to update everything to SP2.

FSX SE incorporates all updates including SP2. Perhaps it was trying to update an already updated version that caused the problems.

(I assume you mean FSX SP2 as the only update for NGX is SP1C)

FSX SE incorporates all updates including SP2. Perhaps it was trying to update an already updated version that caused the problems.

(I assume you mean FSX SP2 as the only update for NGX is SP1C)

My bad I actually meant NGX SP1c...been testing a lot of planes lately.

I am displaying some stark ignorance here, but can someone please explain just that Microsoft "Steam"  is all about, and how it differs from the regular FSX with which we are all familiar ?

Reading a couple of reviews I found, I get the impression that FSX Steam allows aficionados of choo-choo train simulators to use FSX as a platform for their hobby.  Why anyone would find a train or subway car exciting enough to be worthy of simulation is beyond me, but I suppose train-spotters would differ with me on this point.

Anyway, if the essence of FSX  "Steam " is to combine flight simulation with arcade games and train or lawn mower simulators, then I for one will stick with the original FSX that was created exclusively for flying enthusiasts, since I can't imagine myself ever developing a fascination with the finer points of operating locomotives, or indeed any other form of transport that does not take to the air, with the notable exception of my beloved Cat D7G bulldozer that can do just about anything short of getting airborne.  

That said, I am still curious to learn more about just how it came to be that FSX morphed into FSX Steam, so any thoughts on this mystery would be appreciated.

Best regards from Tony, at the helm of the flying desk.