Sign in to follow this  
fsxar177

Dear RTW Committee 2015

Good-day,

Now that Christmas is upon us,  we'll soon be looking at the new-year, and just around the corner, RTW '15.... Time that I compile some thoughts, looking forward to this great event!

I hope to get response and feedback from all interested participants.

Dear RTW Race Committee, Mike MacKuen, Rob Ibey, and Ed Keller;

Let's make 2015 the greatest race yet. Let the strategic implementations and thoughts of the committee be those that would form a competitive, and jolly race for all!!

1.)  Please, eliminate the bonus bank!  Penalties are ok.  But we don't need to earn extra credit, or bonus time.  Let's race.. winner takes all.

2.)  Please, let's not require so many airport's, that each team virtually flies the same course!  There's an entire world out there..  let's allow for planning and strategy..after all, it's what made the race great in the first-place.  Last years teams virtually flew a pre-marked course.

3.)  Please, allow LONGER LEGS.   750nm just isn't anything.  Fuel strategy, and aircraft type rarely seem to influence the legs flown.  This race might be so much more interesting if we could stretch that mustang out 1,000nm, or dare to cross the seas in large single-hops.    

Also, please consider consolidating, and eliminating un-needed rubbish in the rulebook(s).  I'm offering my assistance, if needed.  The current rules are daunting at best, and confusing to any new-comer.  The race should welcome the new-pilot, not scare them away.  Frankly, we're loosing pilots...  We need to change the tide, and bring in fresh blood.  All the teams do!  Let's get this back to the basics, the ABC's, and the RACING.

Pressing forward in confidence!  
C'mon Mike, Rob, Ed..  Let's give the sim-world a race to remember!

- Joseph

The bonus bank and challenges add character that change the race from year to year.  Longer legs?  So fewer people can participate?  

If you eliminate the "rubbish" in the rules you will leave gaps and loopholes and some people will lawyer the race to death and get their feelings hurt.  

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

The bonus bank and challenges add character that change the race from year to year.  Longer legs?  So fewer people can participate?  

If you eliminate the "rubbish" in the rules you will leave gaps and loopholes and some people will lawyer the race to death and get their feelings hurt.  

Buzz,

I don't mind the challenges presented from year to year.  The problem is, when you attach the bonus, it becomes essentially a requirement to match each of those respective marks.  Without accruing the complete bonuses, a team would potentially loose the race.  Therefore, rather than just negating penalty, the bonus is a must-have.  The team that makes the circumnavigation first, inclusive of penalties, should be the winner.  

Last year, some teams were stretched for participants. For example, 3-4 pilots might be cycling through baton carrier/wingman roles, with virtually no rest.  The Longer legs would allow a team with fewer participants, to maximize the efficiency of their team.

- Joseph

Ah don't sweat it Buzz....

Joseph just got done alienating most everyone in the U.K.

This is just dis'ing the race committee and rtw racers.  :LMAO:

Did I alienate Mr. Atwood when I made significant effort to help him track-down problems with his Lancair IV, prior to the MaxRobertson event at SOH?

Perhaps rather than getting your feelers squished as an adult Rob, you might take a more mature response to your offence.

With best regards,

- Joseph 

Did I alienate Mr. Attwood when I made significant effort to help him track-down problems with his Lancair IV, prior to the MaxRobertson event at SOH?

How did I get into this? :unsure:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

How did I get into this? :unsure:

Sorry Ron..

Hey, this will be your first year for the RTW, correct?

Last year was my first-go, after following the race since it's very beginnings.  We had quite the race last year, and am looking forward to another competitive event this go-around!

Crossing my fingers that maybe the Aircraft Factory P-51H will be ready soon?

- Joseph

Joseph,

The challenge is finding the correct balance.  Perhaps have some requirements and no bonus and just have penalties add time to total time so we don't have to sit around on the ground for 30 minutes like the old days. The issue that arises from time to time is that there is only so many ways around the world and if we took out every airport requirement or a choice of airports to hit, then every team will probably fly the exact same route which i know can still happen with requirements but sometimes a team flies a different round, in some cases vastly different and for some that has worked and some not so much.

Increasing leg length probably wouldn't be a bad idea, i think the idea was to allow many pilots the ability to fly and so the legs aren't very long but you are right with smaller teams longer legs might be necessary.  Although 1000 nm is longer than a mustang can go ;)  I know jets were introduced to speed up the race, when i first started it took 4 days to complete the race, last year was REALLY fast and was done in less than 72 hours. I do think the rules this year will probably be similar to last years to keep it a little faster and to accommodate smaller teams as I'm pretty sure flightsim are having a really hard time with pilots. 

spacer.png

...1000 nm is longer than a mustang can go...

Last year I took a WBS P-51, with drop tanks, against an average headwind of -60kts, a total distance of 2,034nm, with average GS of 231kts....

1000nm is nothin...

- Joseph

My two penneth worth . Contrary to changes that may simplify and speed up the race , I wish that the race could be manipulated to run for at least 5 - 7 days . For me, the 2014 race was over far too quickly and I almost felt  "cheated" out of my annual holiday from work ( this stunning event always takes high priority when planning my vacation ) I know I`m not alone in scheduling time off work for our precious race . All the hours of practice put in , all the many many ( commandant lassard ) hours the executive committee dedicate to make each year better than the previous year should warrant a longer race but , to me , the race is now a very brief event . Bring back the longevity of this "once a year" spectacular . I appreciate that with a <72 hours format the racing will be closer , less demanding for teams with limited resources, and possibly create a more exciting climax ,but I would prefer alot more "foreplay" with my racing buddies before our premature end ;)  I appreciate membership has decreased recently in other teams , though I don`t understand the reasons , and for some it has become a chore more than a pleasure , but it`s still the best Flightsim event ever by a country mile.  

Bring on 2015 and all her challenges 

TEAM AVSIM "Fly Anything" Member     BAW 1193

Boeing777_Banner_TechTeam.jpgBry_zps718b876b.png

I wish that the race could be manipulated to run for at least 5 - 7 days . For me, the 2014 race was over far too quickly and I almost felt  "cheated" out of my annual holiday from work

Exactly! (the race should be 5-7days! those were the days!)

I felt similarly (like being cheated)... As Blaine Edwards & Antoine Merriweather (Men on Films) would say... HATED IT!