Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Reducing sensitivity on joystick?

Hi Guys

I have a Saitek X52 which seems really sensitive. Hand flying is very difficult because even the slightest movement sends the aircraft all over the place!

Is there any settings I can change that will make the control feel a bit 'heavier' ?

Thanks!

In the controls section of your fsx.cfg insert the following line:

stick_sensitivity_mode=0

I've used this on all of my fs9 and fsx controllers, be they my old joystick and my Saitek yoke.  Has always worked a treat for me.

Let me know how you go with it.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Thanks Ian!

Is that a variable that can be altered to taste or is it just a setting which reduced sensitivity by a fixed amount?

I believe that a setting of 1is default - like having no setting at all.

A setting of 0 makes the stick less sensitive.

Like an on and off switch.

You will probably need to increase the sensitivity of your controller in all areas to near maximum after applying this fix, whereas before, your sliders were probably set to minimum or near minimum.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Thanks Ian!

Is that a variable that can be altered to taste or is it just a setting which reduced sensitivity by a fixed amount?

No, that setting actually removes all null zones and and introduces a linear response. In other words, it removes the sensitivity curves and actually makes the controls MORE sensitive.

You would only add this line if you were planning on calibrating your controllers through FSUIPC to use its 'slope' function or other such features OR if you prefer having your controllers at full sensitivity.

I highly recommend using FSUIPC and disabling the FSX controllers completely if you like to have full customization of your input controls.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Hardware Controllers & Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

The x52 also has a magnet placement which reduces response in the initial travel and then gets suddenly sensitive again as it reaches the outer travel. There is a mod that repositions the magnets for better off axis response (and makes the stick more linear).

I did the mod a while ago and have been very happy with it. Keep in mind it voids the warranty, but it is a reversible mod.

stick_sensitivity_mode=0

change axes into linear input vs nonlinear

you may as well adjust numbers in aircraft.cfg

/section 

[flight_tuning]

elevator_trim_effectiveness =1.000
aileron_trim_effectiveness =1.000
rudder_trim_effectiveness =1.000