Sign in to follow this  
ricktorbe

Have you heard the news ?

What addons is N4Gix running at this time?  So when one is done bogging down their new SE installation with all the terrain goodies,  AI traffic and a resource intensive aircraft, does he think that it will still hold true that there is a major performance increase? 

I will let you know. I only bothered to install FSX:SE on my development computer so that I can test the installers I code for Milviz, and test my own development work.

Given this scenario, I'm only interested in comparing apples to apples using my own products.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I believe one will notice that the FS:SE performance is much better than FSX and far far better than P3D.

Curiosity got the better of me and I spent last night doing virgin installs of MS:FSX and FSX:SE... After loading up many of the the same addons into both (that took me into the wee hours of the morning), I see a small improvement over MS:FSX (~2-5 fps). However it's still far slower on my rig than P3D (~10fps) with 1/4 of the effects and enhancements (no cloud shadows, autogen popping, HDR, water etc etc).

Not surprising...but needed to see for myself. After doing the comp, I think I prefer the simpler clouds in FSX though.

Well, as I said - didn't take long before the "this FSX is better than the other FSX" posts hit.

As far as comparing it to P3D - no comparison - P3D is far better than FSX visually and nothing they have done to SE will change that.

As to whether or not it will run better - has NO ONE learned anything from the last years?  Even FSX runs better on some systems. We've been arguing about that for almost 10 years. LOL.

Just as some say P3D is a slide show and others love it.

Is FSX:SE worth a try? Not for me but if you are not happy with what you have - go for it but if you are expecting a night and day type change - that remains to be seen.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I see a small improvement over MS:FSX (~2-5 fps).

That's interesting, I wonder what they changed. Apparently they have rights to fix bugs only, so curious what they fixed.

That's interesting, I wonder what they changed. Apparently they have rights to fix bugs only, so curious what they fixed.

The change list has been posted a couple of times in the FSX Steam threads, and is available in the Steam FSX discussion forums too. One change was recompiling with VS2013 for better performance. Won't be significant, but could account for the small performance improvements at least some are seeing.

I was quite skeptical and I do see the well known MS:FSX issues that need to be tweaked, but to be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised by the stability and performance so far.

Cheers!

Maarten

It has been repeated many times that Steam=more users=better for flight simulation.  I hope so, but it also might incentivize developers to go for more of the cheap, mass produced DLC to cater to a more casual audience.  I hope that the developers today that make content aimed towards realism, catering to a presently niche market of experienced users, don't start dumbing things down, and making them gamey.

If you read their changelog all they've done is add a few tweaks that we already use, HIGHMEMFIX and UIAutomationcore. Other than that they've fixed some MP issues that were specific to Steam.

So I doubt that they've "improved" FSX at all. However, it is a new platform and I'm sure many new FSX users will come from it. Which means that many new P3D users will come from them!

Win-win.

Vic

You should read it again... maybe you missed the following:

* FSX: Steam Edition is now built using the VS2013 compiler for better optimisation and performance. (Still makes use of VS2005 libraries for backwards compatibility.)
* Increased Vertex and Index Buffers and the number of buffers. 
* Fix to particle emitter controllers which were not being updated properly.
* Fix to flush all levels of detail in terrain cache.
* Fix to Texture Composition preventing fail and crash.
* UIAutomationCore.dll work-a-round is now supplied by default with FSX:SE. This fixes a number of crashes relating to UI interaction on 64-bit versions of Windows.
* Fixed issue where the application’s taskbar preview window displays no content on Windows 8 and above
* Prevent default colour mode for Windows 7 and above (enable automatic display composition).
* sserife.fon file now automatically supplied and loaded.

There is nothing "ground breaking" but without a shadow of a doubt, the performance of this "resurrected" version performs much better with FTXGlobal, Vector, and high quality Airports than my years of tweaking FSX. I suspect it is the Vertex/Index Buffers modification and the flushing of detail in terrain cache that has helped. 

Absolutely a true fact. I'm seeing on average a +20% increase in fps on a somewhat less capable computer than my sim computer, and that's with absolutely zero 'tweaks' aside from what DTG has added by default.

Nearly everyone should know by now how poorly the XML G1000 gauges run in FSX:MS (box version). Well on FSX:SE there is no frame rate hit at all. Fact.

Fact indeed. I was an extremely skeptical pessimist about what Dovetail would do to the sim but I have to say, they actually delivered a better product at a better price than I expected. Not the eye candy of P3D but a steal for $4.99

Have you heard the news my time is worth a lot more than $4.99  - steam or not it basically the same thing as what you all ready have - have fun tweaking

Rich Sennett

It has been repeated many times that Steam=more users=better for flight simulation.  I hope so, but it also might incentivize developers to go for more of the cheap, mass produced DLC to cater to a more casual audience.  I hope that the developers today that make content aimed towards realism, catering to a presently niche market of experienced users, don't start dumbing things down, and making them gamey.

Fully agree. Or at least provide branched content for both types of markets. 

There was quite a lesson to be learnt from the whole Flight debacle...!

Have you heard the news my time is worth a lot more than $4.99  - steam or not it basically the same thing as what you all ready have - have fun tweaking

So true, I rather fly than steam.

'

So true, I rather fly than steam.

'

LOL good one Rick - I put some thought into this and just stating the obvious

Rich Sennett

I remember reading a recent thread wherein it was suggested the Steam version (depending on price) would provide insurance against the time when Microsoft would withdraw activations.

At just US$5 this would probably be the best value insurance deal on earth.   :LMAO:

Sometimes I feel I owe the community an apology for my contentment. With ORBYX GLOBEL for scenery, my PMDG and A2A birds, numerous add on airports as well as copious photo real scenery  I'm as happy as a June bug in a cow pie with my FSX. I seem to have over come most issues of FSP performance thanks to my trial and error tweeks and FSX FIBER ACCELERATEOR. ASN for weather, OPUS for camera, I am fine. I don't have PREPAR3D so I can't speak with authority there but I don't see much difference in performance or resolution on U-TUBE videos and sometimes the FSX side looks better. I think I'm going to just enjoy what I have for a while and spend a whole lot less money on this hobby in 2015. I may go out to my local airport a time or two and get real.  

Vic green

I think I'm going to just enjoy what I have for a while and spend a whole lot less money on this hobby in 2015. I may go out to my local airport a time or two and get real.

Now that is well said! If you like what you have, there is no reason to switch.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors