Sign in to follow this  
ck777

Thoughts on Wireless Headset

Hi All,

So...I already posted this in hardware forum but there isn't that much traffic.  Moderators, feel free to boot the topic if it isn't appropriate.  Since I come here 99% of the time when I log into AVSIM, i thought I would run this by those in the forum.  This is what I posted in the original topic.

I couldn't find any recent posts about wireless mics.  I would be interested to hear from anyone that is using one to see if they like it.  Are there any problems with interference?  I'm thinking of getting one for a couple of reasons.  I mostly fly on VATSIM.

• I've recently routed all voice (ATC) through my existing headset (not sure why I didn't do this before).  Thanks to Kyle for this one in another topic.
  • On long flights, I sometimes need to get up, go to the other side of the room, etc. I don't stray too far away when I'm on VATSIM, but with my current set up I'm afraid of missing a call.  I suppose I could switch the speakers in FSX sound menu but that seems like a pain.

I'm willing to spend $50-$100.  I was checking out the Logitech G930 but was wondering if any others had recommendations, even non-wireless.  I'm used to a very cheap on the ear headset so the G930 seem very large from my perspective.  I'm still on on the fence about over the ear and interested to hear what others say.  I won't use the headset for anything else other than VATSIM.

Cheers. Chris B. Trane

Chris B. Trane

I have the Logitech G-930 Wireless Gaming Headset.  First of all from a headset perspective this is a very comfortable headset, great sound quality and no complaints from anyone on the mic.....so that is all good.

The wireless is very convenient, especially when flying online (or controlling) and you need to leave your desk for a minute or two.  The range is excellent and I can walk around my house and hear everything.  It also has programmable buttons on the headset so you could technically reply to a controller, etc. but I have not actually set this up......although it would be good for something like teamspeak.

The downsides are the battery.  It gives you 10 hours and takes about 3 hours to recharge but over time the battery life drops and I have actually had to get a replacement battery.  Inevitably it seems to run out of battery at the worst time so you end up having to plug in and then you are back to a wired headset.   The charge wire is long so its not a problem.

The USB stick can also be moved to another computer if you want to use it elsewhere.

Only other problem with this headset is the on/off button seems to be difficutl at time to turn off the headset (its a minor issue).   Note that to save battery the headset turns itself off after 10 minutes of not hearing anthing through the speakers so if you are flying on Vatsim and its too quiet the thing can turn off but you get a beep so you should be aware of it.

Bottom line....I actually like the freedom and the downsides are minor so I say go for it.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

You could also buy a splitter for the sound and plug the speakers and headset into both. Just turn the speakers on & off. That is what I do.

You could also buy a splitter for the sound and plug the speakers and headset into both. Just turn the speakers on & off. That is what I do.

It is nice to have the ATC, FS2Crew sounds through the headset and aircraft sounds through the speakers.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Thanks to Kyle for this one in another topic.

Welcome!

I actually use an H31CD Starset (Plantronics) through the USB PTT adapter (SHS-255 or something?) for FS2Crew/ATC. It's not wireless, but Plantronics sets often use a quick-disconnect (QD) system that's pretty convenient. I actually even threw an amplifier/jack onto my office phone to use the same headset. Win.

I would say, though, that I do have a wireless headset for my XBOX and I do like its convenience. Recharging/replacing batteries can be irritating sometimes, but the freedom of movement is worth it.

Kyle Rodgers

Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback.  I got more responses in the last hour than two days in the other forum.  I'm leaning towards wireless but can see the batteries/charging to by a pain.  Wireless will be convenient to take care of my screaming newborn (4 weeks old), who I now share my flight sim room with!  I figured all my monitors/computers go nicely with his "airplane" decorated room.

Chris B. Trane

Battery changes will be once eveyr 2 or 3 years, even with heavy use.  Charging overnight is pretty easy so don't let that stop you.  I think being able to deal with the newborn will outweigh all of that but my guess is the engine sounds will keep him/her sleeping!

Mark W   CYYZ