Sign in to follow this  
David Bourne

FSX-SE Compatibility Testing Thread

As the other thread is getting very busy and contains a lot of people just talking about their intetions re: FSX-SE, rather than testing things, I thought it may be a good idea to set up a specific thread, where people can report compatibility of things they've tested in the new version of FSX :-

I'll kick off;-

OpusFSX

Works perfectly. The OpusFSX GUI allows manual browsing to the FSX install location, so simply browse to the Steam Edition's folder.     You then need to create a EXE.XML file from your Boxed FSX, that includes the entry for OpusFSX, and place this in to :-  C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE   folder.

TrackIR

Works fine.  Again, an entry for it can be put in to your new EXE.XML file, and TrackIR will start automatically with FSX-SE.

First Aircraft Addon installed - Alabeo C207

Works perfectly.  The newer Alabeo and Carenado installers will automatically detect your FSX-SE location - as long as FSX-SE was installed on to your system after Boxed FSX.

FSUIPC

Not working.   Requires interfacing to FSX-SE's new Simconnect version.  Pete Dowson hoping to address by 9th Jan.

Reality XP 430 / 530

Not working.  Can be installed into FSX-SE but file locations are all incorrect, and FSX-SE will CTD when you load an aircraft that uses RXP.

REX4 Texture Direct

Works great.  Manual browsing to FSX-SE's location works fine.  Then just install your desired textures and they appear in FSX-SE.

• Upvote 1

A2A Cherokee

Installed to the FSX-SE location automatically but I got a CTD on loading the plane in the sim. :(
Could do with someone else testing this to make sure.

EDIT:   Got it working, by manually deleting all references to RXP (Reality XP) gauges, from the Panel.cfg!   :smile:

all orbx products regions and global series install accept for airports that require an updated dll, which orbx is working on, objectflow.dll needs updated

aerosoft a318-321 planes all work

fsdreamteam and flight beam will have updated installers in the coming days

-FTX Global and Vector work fine, provided DX10 fixer is installed. If not the lights give black squares.

Only I had not that much luck with FTX airports (I tried global freeware, havent tested payware yet, but my guess is that the same will happen...), because the wrong simulator version is recognized for the objectflow.dll

-REX Ess+OD also seems to work fine.

-FSG 2010 also works fine. I just had to copy the terrain.cfg to where the configurator could find it, ran the configurator and copied the changed file back to the FSX folder.

Cheers!

Maarten

Reality XP 430 / 530

Not working.  Can be installed into FSX-SE but file locations are all incorrect, and FSX-SE will CTD when you load an aircraft that uses RXP.

If one installs FSX:SE on a 'virgin' computer (meaning no existing FSX:MS), then the file names and paths are identical to a FSX:MS installation.

In this case, I suspect that Reality XP gauges and other such that depend on the default FSX paths and filenames will work properly.

On the other hand, any .dll or .gau files (such as FSUIPC) that depend on SimConnect, or otherwise require direct memory address will not work until they are updated by their respective authors.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It looks like the SPAD drivers dont work on SE with a dual installation

A word of caution to everyone reporting about compatibility with a specific add-on, there are two main areas of discussion: Installers, and actual in-game compatibility.

INSTALLERS

FSX:SE can be installed in two different ways: alone or alongside FSX. Let's call the installation alongside FSX the "Dual mode".

In "Dual Mode", FSX:SE is kept separate from FSX, not just in a different folder, but also with all its registry keys, configuration folders, scenery.cfg, fsx.cfg, in different folders than the FSX one.

The advantage of the "Dual Mode", is that you can install FSX:SE without affecting your standard FSX installation.

The disadvantage is that 3rd party add-on installers WILL have to be modified, in order to recognize the new registry keys and folders, otherwise they'll all try install into the normal FSX. And if an installer or a product need to use the FSX.CFG for any reason, it will have to be updated to recognize FSX:SE, because the FSX.CFG is now named FSX_SE.CFG, but in "Dual Mode" only!

The "Single mode" is when you install FSX:SE on a new system with no existing FSX installation. In this mode, FSX:SE will use the SAME registry keys, shared folders, configuration folders, etc, as if it were FSX, and the FSX.CFG is still named FSX.CFG. It's basically FSX for almost all purposes, just installed into the Steam folder.

The advantage of this mode, is that any existing installer will likely work unmodified, because it will find everything to recognize a normal FSX installation. The only exceptions will be installers that explicitly check for the FSX.EXE build number, and might refuse to proceed because FSX:SE has a different build number for the .EXE.

IN-GAME COMPATIBILITY

This might probably be divided in some areas too:

1) Add-ons (airplanes/sceneries) that use plain FSX SDK - These will probably work without any issues, provided the installation issues are sorted out.

2) Add-ons that use Simconnect - Simconnect has changed, but it's backward compatible with the old versions, provided the required libraries are installed. This changes somewhat depending if you install FSX:SE alongside FSX, or on a brand new system that never had FSX installed into.

If you install it alone on a new Windows installation, you'll have to install the FSX Simconnect runtime libraries, which can be found in the SDK folder under the FSX:SE installation, look for the 3 legacy interface .MSI installers.

If you don't do this, no FSX Addon using the FSX (SP1 or SP2/XPACK) version of Simconnect will work, unless the developer will recompile it using the FSX:SE edition of the Simconnect library, but I don't think many developers will do that, considering the are NO new features in the updated Simconnect.

3) Add-ons that use FSUIPC4 - None of them will work now, since they will all require an updated version of FSUIPC, but of course all of them would work, once the new FSUIPC will come out.

4) Add-ons that use FSDT Addon Manager/Couatl - Like FSDT sceneries, Flightbeam sceneries, the QW757, GSX, etc. - It's the same as with FSUIPC4, they all require an updated version of those two modules which, fortunately, it's already done and updated installers should be online in a few hours, tomorrow at the most.

5) Add-ons that use any other kind custom .DLL/GAU module to access directly FSX memory locations - They are in the same situations as the two cases above: they will have to be updated because since FSX and all it's .DLLs has been recompiled, almost all memory locations has changed, which means every add-on that used such techniques to interact with FSX must be updated, otherwise it will likely cause crashes and almost certainly won't work.

I'm curious if any of the graphics "tweaks" have changed with the steam edition.  Can Anti-aliasing, Transparency-Supersampling, Vertical-Sync, etc. still be changed in Nvidia Inspector as usual?  

If one installs FSX:SE on a 'virgin' computer (meaning no existing FSX:MS), then the file names and paths are identical to a FSX:MS installation.

In this case, I suspect that Reality XP gauges and other such that depend on the default FSX paths and filenames will work properly.

On the other hand, any .dll or .gau files (such as FSUIPC) that depend on SimConnect, or otherwise require direct memory address will not work until they are updated by their respective authors.

I believe that the RXP GNS gauges depend on direct memory addresses, and as such, will not work.

Bert

Ultimate Traffic 2 don't working on FSX:SE

Limited function on Avliasoft Electronic Flight Bag (time sincronization).

Only a community member with intent maintain informed to the simulator community about DCS: World news and progress

More news to the front....

Disclaimer: I´m not member of DCS: World team, Eagle Dynamic team or None official 3rd party.

I'm curious if any of the graphics "tweaks" have changed with the steam edition.  Can Anti-aliasing, Transparency-Supersampling, Vertical-Sync, etc. still be changed in Nvidia Inspector as usual?  

All of these should still work fine. You might have to manually create an FSX:SE profile in Nvidia Inspector though, just browse for the new executable in the FSX:SE installation folder and add it to Nvidia Inspector.