Sign in to follow this  
David Bourne

FSX-SE Compatibility Testing Thread

• PMDG installers run but the license protection protocol breaks the aircraft, no engines, no sound, no displays

Active Sky Next requires SimConnect and installs but fails to connect to the sim and inject weather, etc.

All ORBX Sceneries work but the ObjectFlow.dll is being updated shortly to allow advanced animations

Has anyone checked to see if the win8/8.1 joystick/controller bug has been fixed?  A biggie since FSUIPC is currently broken.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

VRS TacPack not working. VRS is trying to get it to work, but no timeframe has been posted yet. 

David, thanks very much for starting this thread. An excellent idea!

PMDG installers run but the license protection protocol breaks the aircraft, no engines, no sound, no displays

Can anyone verify whether this is the case on a machine that only has FS:SE and not MS FS? When FS:SE is installed on a separate machine it uses the same paths and filenames as MS FSX, so this might make a difference. It might make a difference for other addons as well.

Thanks,

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Can anyone verify whether this is the case on a machine that only has FS:SE and not MS FS?

I dont have MS:FSX, but when trying to select PMDG in FSX:SE, my sim would freeze and I had to restart every time I tried. So for now I think it's safe assume we'll just have to wait untill PMDG is addapted for FSX:SE.

Cheers!

Maarten

Maarten, thanks for your report.

Some people are saying that they can load the aircraft but no gauges or initialization. Is everyone having a similar experience?

In general I think it would be a good idea for everyone reporting to state whether they tested w/ a dual install or single FS:SE install.

My FS:SE is still downloading and will be a "dual" install, though on a separate HD.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

David, thanks very much for starting this thread. An excellent idea!

Can anyone verify whether this is the case on a machine that only has FS:SE and not MS FS? When FS:SE is installed on a separate machine it uses the same paths and filenames as MS FSX, so this might make a difference. It might make a difference for other addons as well.

Thanks,

Mike

My test was done on a clean build. No MSFSX installed and registries were cleared

If one installs FSX:SE on a 'virgin' computer (meaning no existing FSX:MS), then the file names and paths are identical to a FSX:MS installation.

In this case, I suspect that Reality XP gauges and other such that depend on the default FSX paths and filenames will work properly.

On the other hand, any .dll or .gau files (such as FSUIPC) that depend on SimConnect, or otherwise require direct memory address will not work until they are updated by their respective authors.

then it must be Simconnect or Direct Memory usage that's causing the issue here, because RXP is definitely not working. 

Given RXP's dormant state, I can't see that changing. :(

then it must be Simconnect that's causing the issue here, because RXP is definitely not working.

RXP requires direct memory addressing as best I know.

Bert

F1 GEX (Ground Environment X) Series:  USA, Europe, AME, etc

Don't work due to GUI FSX location lockdown:  The installation for GEX itself isn't to FSX anyway, it's an indepdent folder in C:\  ........ but when attempting to enable any regions in the GUI, it is 'locked' to the physical location for standard FSX, and cannot be changed to the FSX-SE location.

RXP requires direct memory addressing as best I know.

Ah ok.  That's a shame.    I'm going to test F1 GTN 750 next.

Some people are saying that they can load the aircraft but no gauges or initialization. Is everyone having a similar experience?

That's the weird thing, I hear about different things that go wrong, from not being able to install properly, me not being able to load the aircraft and like you mention, gauges not initializing, so I think there are a couple of things that need some attention.

Cheers!

Maarten

Here's three important ones ;

A2A C182

Works beautifully, but only with standard GPS fitments. (No RXP or F1 GTN)

Flight 1 GTN650/750

Does not work.  Can be installed to correct location but on loading an aircraft that uses the GTN(s), an error message appears stating "wrong sim version - these gaues do not work with P3D" ..... yep, the F1 GTN's think FSX-SE is P3D....  :lol:    the error message quotes some long numbers and appears to be Simconnect related.

FTX Global / FTX Vector / FTX OpenLC EU

All work perfectly. As these 3 use no ObjectFlow, so there is nothing lost there.  The installer just automatically finds the FSX-SE location.  

Up to now, I'm very impressed with FSX-SE's performance and stability. It may be placebo, it may be psychological, it may be the fresh install...... or it maybe the changes Dovetail made.    Can't be sure, but I am seeing quite considerably better frame rates and smoothness.   The downside is, no Reality XP :(  which I really don't think will change, and at this time, no Flight 1 GTNs. Given their track record with P3D, I doubt Flight 1 will make changes to the current GTN products to just 'make them work' with FSX-SE......  so I personally believe the only way we'll see the GTNs in FSX-SE is if Flight 1 decide to sell them (as separate products) on Steam.    Always happy to be proven wrong!

FSUIPC is a big miss at present for me personally, but at least Pete being Pete, he's promised to work to try to give us compatibility straight after his Xmas break.  What a gent.  Wish we had more like him.

Does add on sceneries like Mega Earth Photo-scenery 2.0 work on steam fsx. Figure gonna be repeat of P3d with software fixes. Active Sky not working hurts, but got REX to use if needed. At least a2a and Carendo planes work.

would it make any sense to buy steam edition at the $4.99 price now and wait for developers to update current software due to the fact that we already spent a bundle on their products?

Does add on sceneries like Mega Earth Photo-scenery 2.0 work on steam fsx.

I haven't tried a direct, new installation of a MSE region in to FSX-SE, but I did try just adding an existing region from my standard FSX installation, into FSX-SE's Scenery Library .......... got a Scenery.cfg error and the textures did not display in sim.

It may work when installed directly/automatically but MSE is just too large to install and test this for me personally, as I just don't use it any more.    Hopefully someone else will test properly soon.

would it make any sense to buy steam edition at the $4.99 price now and wait for developers to update current software due to the fact that we already spent a bundle on their products?

Hello! ... Sorry, I'm honestly not a forum fascist or wannabe moderator but could we please just keep this thread specific to Compatibility testing and results, rather than general discussion about FSX-SE, whether to buy etc.

Just so the thread remains useful and easy(ish) to reference.   Thanks for understanding buddy, and once again, sorry, not meaning to be gripey. :smile: